Noor77's personal budgeting thread

Mags

I should have been clearer in my previous post. I have taken out subscriptions to a number of Magazines, and am therefore less likely to wander in to a newsagent and in addition to buying my intended purchase, buy something else that I don't really want.

Considering the amount of stuff available to purchase online - books, CDs, groceries etc., shopping in such a manner may (if you don't go nuts) remove you from temptation to purchase additional items. Works for me anyway.

Imperator

Re:money

I have never bought anything on line, it just doesn't really interest me...and I think that if I did start buying things on-line I would be even more tempted to buy things I didn't really need.

Clubman - I found out today that my gross salary is 31,500 and then there is the 3,900 rental income as well. See, not 38k!!! :)

budget

You're doing well! €120 how are you! I have €25 to get me through til next wednesday €8 of that will be weight watchers which I won't have to pay anymore if I lose another 4.5lbs, which could easily happen since there will be no takeaways or drinking! I have a freezer full of food that would probably get me through a few weeks if it had to so I won't go hungry and mastercard for GENUINE emergencies!

Re: Re:money

Clubman - I found out today that my gross salary is 31,500 and then there is the 3,900 rental income as well. See, not 38k!!!

You were missing my point . €31,500 p.a. gross is €2,164 p.a. net assuming a single person with the basic tax credits and Class A PRSI. However you are also in receipt of €3,900 p.a. (€325 p.m.) tax free (Rent A Room scheme) rental income (which I don't remember being mentioned before?) and a tax free "mortgage subsidy" of €250 p.m. from your parents. In total you are getting €2,164 + €325 + €250 = €2,739 into your hand each month. This is the equivalent net monthly income that somebody on €44,000 gross would be getting!

Clubman! You can't add the €250 a month because it doesn't come to me at all....it goes straight into my mortgage account....so my mortgage is €696 p.m. + €250 p.m. You can't count something I don't REALLY get!!!

:)

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH.......now you've highlighted that thing in red to make me feel really stupid ;) Well, I never pretended to be a financial savant did I?! Hence my dependence on this site :)

Why would you not include the €250 a month? It's being paid off your mortgage so it is something that you are getting?? If your parents weren't paying this then that €250 a month would come out of your own salary so you are better off by €250 a month:)

Clubman! You can't add the €250 a month because it doesn't come to me at all....it goes straight into my mortgage account....so my mortgage is €696 p.m. + €250 p.m. You can't count something I don't REALLY get!!!

It is income to you even if it is used to pay the mortgage.

now you've highlighted that thing in red to make me feel really stupid ;)

No - I just wanted to highlight the key point. Do you understand my point here? You are earning the equivalent of c. €44K p.a. gross overall. If you don't accept/understand that then please clarify where you are having problems.

I know Smree, but I tend to think of it as "invisible" money - money that I don't see but that does a lot of good and that I'd be very stuck without!

Seriously though, this site, and the contributors, have helped me an awful lot...and I still have lots to learn :)

You're making me feel like Jeremy Paxman or Vincent Browne now... do you accept my figures above?

Sorry Clubman,

I wasn't trying to wind you up :(
I understand it when you say it.....but I don't feel it. That's what I mean. And obviously the fact that I don't feel it is just a reflection of my general incompetence when it comes to money

:(

Did you ever
<!--EZCODE LIST START--><ul><li>Do a detailed spending diary for a week or two?</li><li>Identify unnecessary spending or areas in which you could save/not spend money?</li><li>Set a weekly budget and stick to it?</li></ul><!--EZCODE LIST END-->
It's not rocket science.

Yes, yes and yes

Sometimes Clubman Paxman, I think you would be nicer to me if I said I had a big CC debt ;)

Since I have come across this site I have begun both budgeting and saving, so you (despite your gruff manner ;) )
are obviously doing something right! Pat on the back to you for that...and as you mentioned a few posts ago ...a pat on the back is free!!!

despite your gruff manner

Fair enough - if you don't like my manner or being presented with objective feedback which might challenge your status quo then I'll sign off this topic and forget about trying to help you... :rolleyes

budget

from today until next wednesday my budget is:

Rent 130
TV 30
ESB 50
Eircom 75
Mr. Binman 14
Food: 21 (will be hard)
Entertainment 20 (again hard)
Parents Siver Anniversary: 300 (paying some of there trip and also buying a silver engraved plate)

tough one eh?

That was intended as a joke Clubman :(
And I am very sorry if you were offended in any way by my dubious sense of humour

But I meant it about the pat on the back. Your advice is always welcome and appreciated

Re: budget

That's a tough one alright Melybaby.....any chance on holding off on the Mr. Binman labels so you could have a bit more money for food?

If not you could always try and live off noodles for a few days. I did this a lot in college! When it was really bad in college and we couldn't afford any milk, we would eat our cornflakes with hot sugared water instead!

Re: students budgets

When I was in college and particularly skint ( usually every Wednesday to Friday until I could take the train home and raid the family cupboards) it was boiled rice and ketchup, and if there were any left, a fried egg. Euurgh!

Yip it will be hard.

ugh, boyfriend just called our esb is now 400
(155 arrears) then regular 245 which a notice on how charges have increased ugh.....

Hiya Vanilla

We never tried the rice and ketchup....but we did have plain pasta with ketchup when we had no sauce! We actually lived on cereal a lot. Another thing we used to have was baked beans and cheese mixed together.

Back