New minimum distance for cars passing cyclists to be introduced.

Our accommodation was in an Amsterdam suburb (25 mins tram journey to the centre of the city). A little further out from us there were huge square layouts for new blocks of apartments to be built in the future. But, the tram lines were being installed and the bicycle lanes and the traffic lights were being installed even before a block was laid.

But, the overriding feature of road users in Amsterdam was respect for each other's use of the roads. That is probably the kernal of sharing the roads successfully.

Our accommodation was in an Amsterdam suburb (25 mins tram journey to the centre of the city). A little further out from us there were huge square layouts for new blocks of apartments to be built in the future. But, the tram lines were being installed and the bicycle lanes and the traffic lights were being installed even before a block was laid.

But, the overriding feature of road users in Amsterdam was respect for each other's use of the roads. That is probably the kernal of sharing the roads successfully.

We agree on much of what you've said in recent posts, but I think there needs to be proper organisation and infrastructure to permit mutual respect to exist... if there's a stampede for limited road space, disputes over what rules of the road should be obeyed etc. then there will never be mutual respect - just lots of road rage and so on.

What you saw with regards to the preparation for new developments was simple, effective, and required little more than common sense. However, while Ireland is back to building again, you'll not see the implementation of anything like that here.

Why ?

....For me the answer is simple, because we don't impose it. Our legislators, our planning officers, could all change that tomorrow, but they don't and that's a failure on them, which impacts negatively on us all.

Hi Mr Earl, I hear you. We're beating about the bush here and we're looking for excuses to justify one's own ownership of the square inch. We would all be glad of more proper organisation and infrastructure. They cost big money and we are a small nation. The bottom line for all road users is tolerance and respect for others and these cost nothing.

I returned from the south of Spain during the week where I did some light cycling on coast roads. The Dutch national cycling team (and many other cycle teams) use the area for training and speed along with little or no danger to any of the 20 or so riders and don't hold up motor traffic. Unfortunately, I can't say the same about the Lycra Limeys there, where two manage to cycle two-a-breast and cause a "funeral" type of build up of traffic behind them for miles. The metre and a half distance rule applies there (forget about the common sense). Are we heading for this in Ireland where two cyclists can hold up nearly every motorist at a whim?

....Are we heading for this in Ireland where two cyclists can hold up nearly every motorist at a whim?

No, because other road users won't tolerate it. Instead, it will fuel more road rage and I fear, more accidents.

Oh,

Credit where it's due btw, I thought the recent protest by cyclists outside the Dail was very good - sent a clear message both visibly and vocally.

Irish Times said:
Vice president of the European Cyclists Federation Dr Damian Ó Tuama said cyclists needed dedicated cycle lanes of about two-and- a half metres wide and “thoughtfully constructed” junctions (sourced: here).

Shane Ross was mentioned on TV (I think it was on an interview during RTE News the day of the protest) as someone with the power to do more in terms of allocating more of the annual budget towards developing safe cycle lanes etc. ....but to be fair to Minister Ross, he's too busy sticking his nose into things that are outside of his remit, so I doubt he'll take any notice !

Clearly more pressure needs to be applied to Minister Ross to change his ways ;)

I won't speculate, but provoking people is never a good idea.

Neither is breaking the law. Its bad for your pocket, your driving license, your renewal premium, your personal liberty and your ability to travel internationally.

I was driving from Cork to Dripsey (a bad, bendy road) on Saturday afternoon and came across a group of cyclists on the road. I noticed the car in front of me was right behind the cyclists, edging out all the time to try to over-take. Eventually he overtook them and I could feel the angst from the cyclists. Next up, I stayed about 30 yards back. The last cyclist looked back a few times (probably thinking I might zoom past or something). When it became safe to overtake he put out his arm signaling me to go ahead. He waved as I went passed and I popped the hazards in reply and got a few waves from the others. The whole thing probably "cost" me about 3 seconds but we all got to enjoy the road.

I think it's all about give & take. Don't be a muppet whether you're in car, on a bike or walking and we'll all be fine.

Back