New minimum distance for cars passing cyclists to be introduced.

Before they start that they could already do this using the traffic cameras. I regularly see cars in the bus lane on the Long Mile Road during restricted hours. Maybe they do this already ... I doubt it though!

I don't mind seeing cars in the bus lane from a safety issue, unless they cut in and out... that causes accidents, hate that.
If a driver sees a clear bus lane and goes for it and turns left before next junction, no skin off my nose. It has no safety impact.
They can have no complaints if they are pulled up though...

• Cars staying out of bus lanes, not parking on yellow boxes and obeying speed limits....
  • Bikes off footpaths....
  • Pedestrians looking where they are going....
  • All road users obeying traffic lights....
All of the above (very basic stuff) and we would all be much better off.....

• Cars staying out of bus lanes, not parking on yellow boxes and obeying speed limits....
  • Bikes off footpaths....
  • Pedestrians looking where they are going....
  • All road users obeying traffic lights....
All of the above (very basic stuff) and we would all be much better off.....
I would add any cyclist who uses a bicycle without a bell to warn pedestrians they are approaching them is also basic stuff respect for all road users is what we want to get across and if you don't have respect when you are cycling for other road users why do we expect them to change when the get behind a steering wheel,

I see cyclist brushing up close to pedestrians some don't have a bell others who do never seam to use them and if you check some of the old style bells don't work because they are seize up from lack of use ,

Last edited:
I would add any cyclist who uses a bicycle without a bell to warn pedestrians they are approaching them is also basic stuff respect for all road users is what we want to get across and if you don't have respect when you are cycling for other road users why do we expect them to change when the get behind a steering wheel,

Generally, cyclists and pedestrians shouldn't be sharing the same piece of infrastructure bar the few shared paths, crossing at junctions or on roads without footpaths.

On shared paths, cyclists need to travel at slow speeds so as to be able to react in time to avoid pedestrians wandering into their path. Some pedestrians here tend to take exception to cyclists ringing a bell, interpreting it as aggressive, but perhaps if it was more common it would become less of an issue.

On roads with no adjacent footpath on either side, pedestrians must travel on the right facing on-coming traffic, so there should be no need for a bell to warn of an oncoming cyclist if they are paying due care and attention.

In other cases, cyclists shouldn't be on footpaths, pedestrians shouldn't be on cycle lanes, pedestrians should look before they cross a cycle path or road, and cyclists should be prepared to stop when approaching pedestrian crossings. A cyclist, or any other category of road user shouldn't need to audibly alert others as they approach. Expecting them to do so absolves the pedestrians of their duty of care to behave in a responsible manner and not walk out in front of traffic without first checking it is safe to do so.

Generally, cyclists and pedestrians shouldn't be sharing the same piece of infrastructure bar the few shared paths, crossing at junctions or on roads without footpaths.

On shared paths, cyclists need to travel at slow speeds so as to be able to react in time to avoid pedestrians wandering into their path. Some pedestrians here tend to take exception to cyclists ringing a bell, interpreting it as aggressive, but perhaps if it was more common it would become less of an issue.

On roads with no adjacent footpath on either side, pedestrians must travel on the right facing on-coming traffic, so there should be no need for a bell to warn of an oncoming cyclist if they are paying due care and attention.

In other cases, cyclists shouldn't be on footpaths, pedestrians shouldn't be on cycle lanes, pedestrians should look before they cross a cycle path or road, and cyclists should be prepared to stop when approaching pedestrian crossings. A cyclist, or any other category of road user shouldn't need to audibly alert others as they approach. Expecting them to do so absolves the pedestrians of their duty of care to behave in a responsible manner and not walk out in front of traffic without first checking it is safe to do so.

Leo I am sure firefly was happy that the cyclist who sounded the bell when he was in Amsterdam ,I think Ireland is in deep trouble in lots of ways if we have reached the stage where we no longer went to avoid an accident by taking very simple precautions ,

Accidents can only go in one direction if we are not prepared to remind people who may be putting them self in danger. I would say bell on bikes and horn on cars /trucks saved lots of lives every year including cyclist

Last edited:
I don't mind seeing cars in the bus lane from a safety issue, unless they cut in and out... that causes accidents, hate that.
If a driver sees a clear bus lane and goes for it and turns left before next junction, no skin off my nose. It has no safety impact.
They can have no complaints if they are pulled up though...
No No No, cars driving in bus lanes, in my experience, are always driving faster than the lane outside them, whilst not speeding they are generally trying to skip ahead and not get caught so they driver at a speed in excess of what is generally safe, they also tend to drive closer to the cyclist. They also tend to flick into the bus lane without indicating and at short notice only looking for garda cars or buses not people cycling.

I would add any cyclist who uses a bicycle without a bell to warn pedestrians they are approaching them is also basic stuff

Bicycles should never have to use a bell when approaching pedestrians if (1) bikes are not on footpaths or (2) if pedestrians are on a road they are walking towards oncoming traffic

Leo I am sure firefly was happy that the cyclist who sounded the bell when he was in Amsterdam

Not really....it was a case of a bell being sounded as the bike was swerving by me. If I was looking where I was going it wouldn't have been required.

No No No, cars driving in bus lanes, in my experience, are always driving faster than the lane outside them, whilst not speeding they are generally trying to skip ahead and not get caught so they driver at a speed in excess of what is generally safe, they also tend to drive closer to the cyclist. They also tend to flick into the bus lane without indicating and at short notice only looking for garda cars or buses not people cycling.

Yeah, I'd go along with that, undertaking is very dangerous.

Yeah, I'd go along with that, undertaking is very dangerous.

It's perfectly legal and safe to drive in a bus lane when it's not an 'active' bus lane though... so how can it be dangerous unless the driver is also speeding?

Not really....it was a case of a bell being sounded as the bike was swerving by me. If I was looking where I was going it wouldn't have been required.
If he/she was the type who did not think the needed a bell on there bike who knows how it could have finished up,

The only point I am making is if you were taught to use a bell and watch out for people from an early age we would have less accidents on our roads whether walking cycling or driving,

If I am out cycling and Something goes wrong i just hope my life is not in the hands of the no bell type ,

Last edited:
It's perfectly legal and safe to drive in a bus lane when it's not an 'active' bus lane though... so how can it be dangerous unless the driver is also speeding?

I actually don't think it's safe to drive in a bus lane when it's not an active bus lane to be honest.

I actually don't think it's safe to drive in a bus lane when it's not an active bus lane to be honest.

Maybe it depends on the bus lane... I'm thinking of the Malahide Road QBC which is a real second lane.
If it's one of those jammed in bus lanes where there's really only one lane that ends sharply and if you have that in mind I'd agree with you.

That is the whole point of the new regulation - he waits until the road is wide enough.

I also suggest that cycling two abreast on roads in urban areas should be prohibited. Except for parents and kids.

Brendan
I would agree with your suggestion cycling two abreast should be prohibited where cars and cyclist share the same road urban and country. which brings me to the question what is the correct way for adults and kids cycling together,

When I look back to when my own kids were small we would have taken them out when they were around two years old walking we the adults would be walking kids would travel in front of us using no pedals bike when they were around three years old the would start using a bike with pedals but no chain around four or five the would start using a bike with chain and pedals like an adults bike,

Back then when a car approached travelling in the same direction you would tell the kids to pull in and gesture to the car driver to slow down I don't remember ever having an issue where a car did not slow down while passing ,my kids were only allowed to travel a short distance ahead of us at all times no cycling off was allowed when they were small,

When they got bigger they were allowed to travel on to the next junction and wait for us so we would cross together I don't ever remember having a problem cars always slowed or stopped and allowed the whole family to cross the road,

when we started cycling as a family the kids always travelling in front of us in single file I never remember an issue with cars not slowing down you would gesture there was danger ahead they would slow down we never had any issues back then,

You would see some familys doing the direct opposite or travelling in a group I don't know which way is correct out of interest I would love to get posters views,

You would see some familys doing the direct opposite or travelling in a group I don't know which way is correct out of interest I would love to get posters views,

Cycling as a group as opposed to strung out in a line will mean a shorter length of road required to overtake, so should make it safer for cyclists and motorists alike provided there is sufficient space. Some cycling groups will advise riding two abreast to discourage drivers from trying to squeeze past when there is on-coming traffic, but on narrower country roads two abreast probably make any overtaking unsafe, so shouldn't be done so as to avoid causing an obstruction.

correct me if i am wrong, but mr earls image/link dublin good cylist lane, third cyclist from back on mobile phone?

correct me if i am wrong, but mr earls image/link dublin good cylist lane, third cyclist from back on mobile phone?

No sign of a phone zooming in, so likely just a face scratch. Of course nothing illegal about using a phone while cycling for some reason...

When cycling I don't use cycle paths where I have to share space with pedestrians. It is just too dangerous. I find using the road safer.
People walking on cycle paths, letting their kids walk on them or, worst of all, letting their dog walk on them, is grossly irresponsible.
I'd be in favour of a law allowing cyclists to slap pedestrians walking on cycle paths in the back of the head as they pass them. :D

Back