New minimum distance for cars passing cyclists to be introduced.

I'd be in favour of a law allowing cyclists to slap pedestrians walking on cycle paths in the back of the head as they pass them. :D

Can't see that working, they'd have to allow pedestrians to clothes line any cyclists using the footpath...
:)

....I'd be in favour of a law allowing cyclists to slap pedestrians walking on cycle paths in the back of the head as they pass them. :D

I'd also be in favour of an annual purge, to help keep the growing number of troublesome cyclists under control, but I suspect that neither of us are going to get our way anytime soon ;)

Can't see that working, they'd have to allow pedestrians to clothes line any cyclists using the footpath...
:)

I hear that an umbrella, or a walking stick, can easily get caught in the wheel of a bike and cause the cyclist to have an accident. Cyclists might like to keep in mind that the recommended safe distance from a pedestrian carrying an umbrella or walking stick is 1.5 mtrs. ;)

Last edited:
When cycling I don't use cycle paths where I have to share space with pedestrians. It is just too dangerous. I find using the road safer. People walking on cycle paths, letting their kids walk on them or, worst of all, letting their dog walk on them, is grossly irresponsible. ....

Hello,

Are you referring to designated cycle lanes here, or cycle lanes that eh "merge" with footpaths ?

If you are talking about completely independent cycle lanes, then I'd agree with you that it's wrong and needs to be stopped, but if it's where a cycle lane is badly designed and merges with footpaths (similar to some of those images I liked to earlier in this thread), then it's down to pi$$ poor design and the council need to get the brunt of your anger, not the pedestrians.

Hello,

Are you referring to designated cycle lanes here, or cycle lanes that eh "merge" with footpaths ?

If you are talking about completely independent cycle lanes, then I'd agree with you that it's wrong and needs to be stopped, but if it's where a cycle lane is badly designed and merges with footpaths (similar to some of those images I liked to earlier in this thread), then it's down to pi$$ poor design and the council need to get the brunt of your anger, not the pedestrians.
I'm thinking of the Phoenix Park and the road outside Marley Park where a wide footpath has a cycle path clearly painted on it. Despite it being clearly designated as a cycle path people still walk in it. This is very unsafe for a cyclist. Obviously the pedestrian could also get hurt but that's their own fault for being stupid.

I'm thinking of the Phoenix Park and the road outside Marley Park where a wide footpath has a cycle path clearly painted on it. Despite it being clearly designated as a cycle path people still walk in it. This is very unsafe for a cyclist. Obviously the pedestrian could also get hurt but that's their own fault for being stupid.

Sorry, I'm not particularly familiar with those locations, any images you can link from please ?

On the later point about pedestrians getting hurt down to their own stupidity, I agree ... but would also respectfully remind you that stupid is, as stupid does, to quote the great Forrest Gump ;)

I hear that an umbrella, or a walking stick, can easily get caught in the wheel of a bike and cause the cyclist to have an accident. Cyclists might like to keep in mind that the recommended safe distance from a pedestrian carrying an umbrella or walking stick is 1.5 mtrs. ;)

A fan of the ole Shepherd's hook meself :D

Sorry, I'm not particularly familiar with those locations, any images you can link from please ?

See the section here as an example in the Phoenix Park, Chesterfield Ave, looking East. On the raised path beyond the kerb there are two lanes, one a marked cycle path, the rest, footpath. Here is an example section by Marley Park.

The Phoenix park is a model in badly laid out infrastructure. Further along Chesterfield Ave., there is a dedicated cycle track that runs alongside the road side parking (example). The pedestrian footpath is further in beyond the railings. Very few people getting out of cars parking along there actually move in to the footpath, for those with buggies or prams it would be a challenge. So it's just designed to create conflict. It was on that path a cyclists was killed in 2016 when a pedestrian stepped into his path.

Last edited:
Hello Leo,

Thank you for the links.

Again, we see examples of badly designed (and / or badly laid out) bicycle lanes. There is definitely a reoccurring theme here.

Rather than cyclists, pedestrians and motorists fighting between themselves, we should all be uniting to take on the real problem - Dublin City Council !

Rather than cyclists, pedestrians and motorists fighting between themselves, we should all be uniting to take on the real problem - Dublin City Council !
Sure, but in the meantime it would be great if pedestrians respected cycle lanes. Very few pedestrians walk on lane designated for cars. They should treat cycle lanes the same.
I remember coming across a man in his 70's shouting at a kid of about 16 because the man had been trailing his dogs lead across that cycle path at Marley Park and the kid has cycled into it, wrapping the lead around his front wheel and partially strangling the small dog.
I asked the man to stop shouting and apologise to the kid on the bike as he was in the wrong, not the kid, and his stupidity had caused the accident.

Again, we see examples of badly designed (and / or badly laid out) bicycle lanes. There is definitely a reoccurring theme here.

Agreed, those kinds of shared lanes create conflict by design, and are really only suitable for use by young children or those moving slowly. Cyclists are wary of pedestrians moving into the paths, pedestrians don't like cyclists moving at speed on them, yet many motorists on the adjoining roads expect all cyclists to get out of their way and use the unsuitable paths.

Sure, but in the meantime it would be great if pedestrians respected cycle lanes. .....

There are endless examples of difficulties between all parties (cyclists, pedestrians and motorists), with all guilty of having done wrong on a regular basis.

Set up the correct infrastructure, then enforce the rules properly is the way to go, but once again Ireland is making a pigs ear of it - this time with badly designed cycle lanes, unenforceable and sometimes unrealistic rules etc.

As I said above, the first thing we all need to do is unite to deal with the real problem - DCC. If we can get proper cycle lanes designed and built, it would be the first in a serious of important steps, but if we can't get the cycle lanes correctly designed then by default, you are going to have cars parking in them, people standing in them waiting for busses at bus stops etc.

Nice sentiments there from MrEarl. All road users need to practice Common Sense (any other practice is not wanted by anybody). The annual Fort to Fort cycle is due to happen between Cork and Crosshaven shortly. A greenway runs quite much of the route, but again we have to endure cyclists clogging the narrow road which runs parallel. To the participants:- Thanks in advance for all the delays that will occur. Perhaps this year the marshals will do what they are supposed to do? But, I reckon this is probably too much to ask (based on their non performance last year).

On a more positive note, last weekend we went to Co Kerry and encountered cyclist groups using narrow roads. I must say their road behaviour was excellent and they were an example to others. Perhaps it is just in County Cork we have the cycling lunatics?

. . . . and before anybody asks, yes, I cycle quite a lot and feel embarrassed by the minority finger pointing, fist waving "we own the road" cyclists who are hell bent on enforcing their take on normal people.

The annual Fort to Fort cycle is due to happen between Cork and Crosshaven shortly. A greenway runs quite much of the route, but again we have to endure cyclists clogging the narrow road which runs parallel.

Been through this one before, but shared greenways are not suitable for such events or cyclists travelling at the speeds those groups will be doing to cover up to 120km. Far better use the roads as they are entitled to and not put them in conflict with groups of pedestrians that may include young children, dog walkers, etc.. Of course, it'd be nice if the cyclists acted in a responsible and considerate manner on the roads, but that's a different matter.

Marshalls on such events have no powers to direct any traffic on public roads, including the cyclists participating.

We're nearly through six long pages of Cyclist -V- Motorist -V-Pedestrian (truck and bus drivers, motor cyclists and scooterists not exempted). Still the penny hasn't dropped.

We have just spent 10 days in Amsterdam doing all the tourist things, visiting museums, canal boat trips, bus trips to the country, tram commuting from where we stayed. We did lots of walks, rented bikes and generally travelled around the city.

Whatever about the magnificent museums etc the overriding feature of Amsterdam is its Cyclists. Hordes of cyclists using bikes like our postmen used in the 1970's and complete with front tray which usually had an empty beer box lashed to it. There were many cyclists with a kind of wheelbarrow in front with up to two children being transported within. Even the ice-cream salesman had a bike with a wheeled ice box attached to the front. Amsterdam is flat and lends itself beautifully to bicycle users.

The Difference between Cyclists in Dublin and Amsterdam:- The Dutch cyclists don't wear "safety" helmets (I didn't see even one), they don't wear cycling gear, they don't use expensive bikes, their bikes are a modern edition of our old high-nelly. They are seated upright when they cycle. Even the handlebars are functional and I think I saw one bike with dropped racer handlebars only. All use mudguards. There are bicycle parking areas which are three storeys. Bikes are parked everywhere, chained to bars on bridges, chained together etc etc. Cycling Lanes are everywhere and like it or not the humble bike is a main and efficient form of transport.

While you look at the cyclists, women cycling in high heels, men in suits, etc you wonder how does the Amsterdam System work. Why are they not waving fists, finger pointing, showing the finger sign? I didn't hear one motorist sounding the car's horn. The answer is not difficult to work out, it's obvious the cyclists, motorists, tram drivers, scooterists, motorcyclists, truck drivers, bus drivers, pedestrians show respect to other road users. That's all we need in Ireland amongst our road users RESPECT. I'll shout it again RESPECT.

The alternative to RESPECT is unthinkable and we better learn sooner than later.

Last edited:
Hello Leper,

No need to "shout"... it's actually considered rude to type in caps.

I'd agree on the point about the lack of mutual respect, but it's only one part of the problem that needs to be fixed here in Ireland. I've previously posted about the lack of proper planning an infrastructure here being the main problem and I stand by that, because if we had proper infrastructure, correctly laid out safe bike lanes etc., then people wouldn't be getting frustrated by traffic jams, dangerous driving / cycling etc. and mutual respect would come about a lot more easily. As things stand, the absence of proper facilities for all, results in people getting frustrated and being more likely to do stupid things, simply in an attempt to make progress on their own individual journeys.

I'd appreciate it if you would answer the following for me please:

• did many cyclists that you observed obey the rules of the road, or did they act like some of the Irish cyclists ?
  • what was the infrastructure like for the cyclists and other commuters, compared to Ireland ?
  • does Amsterdam strike you as a place where most people need their cars to commute in and out of the city to get to work etc. ?

I have been in Amsterdam myself, so I know what my answers to the above questions would be (and will happily share them in due course), but I'd welcome your responses as part of your report on your recent trip.

Hello Leper,

I'd appreciate it if you would answer the following for me please:

• did many cyclists that you observed obey the rules of the road, or did they act like some of the Irish cyclists ?
  • what was the infrastructure like for the cyclists and other commuters, compared to Ireland ?
  • does Amsterdam strike you as a place where most people need their cars to commute in and out of the city to get to work etc. ?

1. Yes. Cyclists, tram drivers, motorists, motorcyclists, bus drivers obeyed the rules of the road. Some pedestrians didn't.
2. Light Years Ahead.
3. No. Amsterdam is flat and lends itself to cycling.

1. Yes. Cyclists, tram drivers, motorists, motorcyclists, bus drivers obeyed the rules of the road. Some pedestrians didn't.
2. Light Years Ahead.
3. No. Amsterdam is flat and lends itself to cycling.

Agree 100% with those observations. When I asked about whether you thought that people needed their cars to commute to work etc., I was getting at the overall layout in Amsterdam (be it public transport, more people living in the city through taller apartment buildings than we have, so don't have to commute 90-120 mins each way from "Applegreen" country etc.), but the flat land helps alright.

For me, we again find ourselves looking back to how Dublin (and other parts of Ireland) continue to be badly planned and constructed. No matter how much we could all improve in terms of mutual respect for our fellow commuters, I think the general frustration (and by extension risk taking) across all commuters, goes back to the lack of proper facilities and infrastructure.

Back