My media training

I was thinking of splitting the book into four sections with the overall title I Tried to Do It My Way! and Failed:-
Book 1 - The World Awaited and a Child was born unto Mary in Cork and minus the Shepherds & Wise Men & Midwives.
Book 2 - The Strange Life of an Unpaid Union Rep with an Epilogue of My Gratitude to Purple for being the greatest union recruiter in history.
Book 3 - The Brendan Voyager and my humorous life through Askaboutmoney - containing a section of how Herr Burgess' posts are even longer than mine. ( with Post-Script:-Mind you, he will never admit it).
Book 4 - Life is Too Short and Don't Look Back in Anger.

They say everyone has at least one book in them though I'll never pen one I did think of a title
"A unidirectional time traveller dealing with the psychobabble that comes from existential ennui"
or the working title of "My descent into madness"
But for Lep I was thinking "This Fool's no Idiot"

I was thinking of splitting the book into four sections with the overall title I Tried to Do It My Way! and Failed:-
Book 1 - The World Awaited and a Child was born unto Mary in Cork and minus the Shepherds & Wise Men & Midwives.
Book 2 - The Strange Life of an Unpaid Union Rep with an Epilogue of My Gratitude to Purple for being the greatest union recruiter in history.
Book 3 - The Brendan Voyager and my humorous life through Askaboutmoney - containing a section of how Herr Burgess' posts are even longer than mine. ( with Post-Script:-Mind you, he will never admit it).
Book 4 - Life is Too Short and Don't Look Back in Anger.
I'll probably just read the Amazon reviews. :p

Lep,

Of course, you could always raffle off the books. Something like

1st Prize: Books 1 and 2
2nd Prize: Books 3 and 4
3rd Prize: Books 1, 2, 3 and 4

Lep,

Of course, you could always raffle off the books. Something like

1st Prize: Books 1 and 2
2nd Prize: Books 3 and 4
3rd Prize: Books 1, 2, 3 and 4
I've always advised people not to believe in their own popularity (Was it Media Training Rule No 7?). I don't believe in my own popularity and my intention is to give the book (all 4 parts) away free to our grandchildren and Purple, of course. I'm sure Purple can get somebody to read the difficult parts to him.

At the end of the day, are you not better off to tell it as it is? The truth is the truth at the end of the day. As good and all as those presenters are shown to be so called experts in their field, I've seen the best of them make eejit's of themselves many times. The average Irishman and woman may come across as naive or whatever but believe me they know a hell of a lot more than "talk to Joe might think".
It depends whether you want to feel good about being right, with the potential to one day say, 'I told you so', or to bring people around to your way of thinking and effect some change.

Last edited:
It depends whether you want to feel good about being right, with the potential to one day say, 'I told you so', or to bring people around to your way of thinking and effect some change.

It's not really about saying "I told you so", but you do raise a very good point.

Take the original programme which gave rise to this - Joe Duffy on Life Loans.

I think that the only correct thing for me to do was to tell the truth about the products and why they are needed.

I also criticised the programme, the presenter and some of the contributors. Should I have dialled that back a bit, to make myself appear "nicer" and more sympathetic. "You poor woman. I understand that you were nearly blind and deaf which is a terrible pity because the brochure was very clear". It's not really me and I think I would have come across as faking it.

What am I trying to achieve? Well I would like to see more lenders offering these products. So I want the programme to stop frightening people. A few people have told me that they heard the initial programme and were angry at BoI for taking the houses from these poor people. And then they heard me explaining it and they understood it a bit more.

Or I could have just posted here about the rubbish on the programme and not gone into the lions' den to defend the product. But that doesn't achieve anything either.

But whenever I see the media getting something wrong or misrepresenting it, it is a priority for me to correct it. I did a programme on trackers and the rest of the panel used the term "criminal" to describe the banks. That is just wrong. And I would not let an ignorant remark like that go by without correcting it. Sure, I would be portrayed as defending the banks, but defending the truth is actually important.

Incidentally, I got a call today to go a radio programme to talk about the bonus cap on bank employees. I declined as it just would not be possible to have a rational discussion on the issue. And whatever I said, I would be portrayed as defending the banks.

Brendan

You can’t win in a discussion about bonuses.

I absolutely think that bank employees should be able to get bonuses now.

It’s in the best interests of us all, with checks and balances in place.

But the loony left and hysterics like Joe Duffy won’t listen to any of the rational arguments.

Reactions: jpd
You can’t win in a discussion about bonuses.

I absolutely think that bank employees should be able to get bonuses now.

It’s in the best interests of us all, with checks and balances in place.

But the loony left and hysterics like Joe Duffy won’t listen to any of the rational arguments.
You almost had me convinced except for:

1. Bank employees can get bonuses. As Brendan says, it's important to correct things that are wrong.
2. It seems a bit hysterical to me to use the terms 'loony left' and hysterics. It rather suggests that you won't listen to any of their arguments.

Looks like we have another customer for media training!

You almost had me convinced except for:

1. Bank employees can get bonuses. As Brendan says, it's important to correct things that are wrong.
2. It seems a bit hysterical to me to use the terms 'loony left' and hysterics. It rather suggests that you won't listen to any of their arguments.

Looks like we have another customer for media training!

Except anything over €20k gets taxed at 90%.

I listened to the Joe Duffy show that Brendan was on. The contributors were largely morons, as in as thick as four planks. You can't win against that and there's very little point wasting time
trying to get an eejit to change his or her view. Sadly, topics like bank bonuses are a gift from God for Sinn Fein and the poor misguided fools who swallow their tripe.

It was be great to have a reasoned debate on the merits or otherwise of bank bonuses. But that's not possible in the sensationalist populist world we live in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Except anything over €20k gets taxed at 90%.

I listened to the Joe Duffy show that Brendan was on. The contributors were largely morons, as in as thick as four planks. You can't win against that and there's very little point wasting time
trying to get an eejit to change his or her view. Sadly, topics like bank bonuses are a gift from God for scum like Sinn Fein and the poor misguided fools who swallow their tripe.

It was be great to have a reasoned debate on the merits or otherwise of bank bonuses. But that's not possible in the sensationalist populist world we live in.
You could always make a start on the reasonable debate by not calling people morons, thick, eejits, scum and fools.

You could always make a start on the reasonable debate by not calling people morons, thick, eejits, scum and fools.

It is a waste of time. I listened to the offending Joe Duffy show and, God help them, the contributors were mostly eejits. You can’t win on a programme targeted at eejits and populated by eejits (in the main). What is the point in even trying to debate people re bank bonuses when it’ll be a set-up?

On a few occasions now, Leper has recommended that I undergo media training so that I don't make a fool of myself like I did on Joe Duffy recently.

He reminded me again yesterday of the necessity to do it, so I have now done a sandwich course, which was really helpful. I thought you might like to hear what I have been told.

Politicians have access to private surveys and private focus groups which you won't have, so this is a rough guide.

Always criticiseNever criticise
The banks
The vulture funds
Property developers and builders
The multinationals
Employers
Landlords
People earning over €100k a year
The rich
Insurance companies
Tax increases
Reductions in public expenditure
The HSE and administrators
borrowers
People who don't pay their mortgages
Employees, workers
Trade unions
tenants
The poor
The elderly
Those in social housing
Tax reductions
Increases in public expenditure
Charities and their spokespeople

Contrary to public opinion, RTE and the media are not dominated by the left, it's just that they follow the rules above and will savage anyone who doesn't follow those rules.

And the media love human interest stories. So, for example, they are not interested in discussing a sensible housing market, they just want to interview a family being evicted by a greedy landlord.

Don't forget that if you call for change, those who will be negatively impacted will be on the media immediately, while those who will benefit will be diverse and will not talk openly about it. For example, it makes sense to reduce the costs of banking in Ireland. The broad mass of consumers will benefit from this. But if they close a branch of a bank in Ballyhaunis, there will be no shortage of critics - the trade unions, the Chamber of Commerce, Age Action and every politician.

If you call for the self-employed who pay 4% of their income in PRSI and get the same Contributory OAP as PAYE employees to contribute more, you will have the self-employed and their representatives on the radio attacking you. The fact that it would help lead to a sustainable pension system is irrelevant.

Don't try to make complex points. For example, you argument that when the state uses taxpayers' money to buy social housing , it reduces the supply of houses for first time buyers and pushes up prices. So don't criticise the state for buying social housing. Criticise the property developers and builders for charging outrageous prices for housing.

The public never links two issues if it's uncomfortable. For example, your argument that the 5,000 people living on their own in two, three and four bedroom social housing should either share these with people on the social housing list or move to one bed units will never get anywhere. You should just call for more social housing to be built. That is simpler and doesn't hurt anyone. Imagine asking someone who is paying €20 a week to live on their own in a 4 bed house that they should share with someone else! What were you thinking?

The public is too stupid to see that if big bad banks can't repossess houses, then they will have to charge much higher mortgage rates. If you want to be popular, oppose every repossession. You have tried and failed to get mortgage holders to protest about the high mortgage rates they are paying.

Don't criticise the claims culture in Ireland , criticise the insurance companies for fleecing people.

Stop trying to be so rational. No one else in the media follows that approach, so you put yourself at a disadvantage. None of the politicians have any problem at all with calling for increased public expenditure and reduced taxation. Why should you be so purist?

Read the tabloids if you want to know what to think and how to express it.

And stop obsessing with facts and data. That bores people. So what if the Bank of Ireland LifeLoans brochure was crystal clear about how much people would owe after 15 years? That is not relevant on a talk show. There are 10 people calling in to say that they did not understand the brochure. The one who did, will never call in. The only fact that matters is that since then the price of their home has not doubled as they had expected, and they will not be leaving a big inheritance to their children, so the big bad bank should wipe out the loan.

And stop thinking long-term. So what if the state has an unsustainable public debt and pensions system? That is of no interest to a radio presenter who wants to focus on what is happening today.

And stop doing balanced. The public wants clarity and simplicity. They don't want "on the one hand ... and on the other.". Give them soundbites. "All vulture funds are evil and should be banned from the country". That sounds so much better than your convoluted: "If we do not allow banks to repossess houses and we insist that the lenders must reduce their non-performing debts, then we should not complain when the banks sell those mortgages to vulture funds."

Show sympathy and if you don't have any fake it. So what if someone has not paid their mortgage in 10 years? So what if 300,000 other mortgage holders are paying the highest mortgage rates in the eurozone as a result? All the public cares is that this person is being made homeless by a bank or vulture fund. Pretend to feel sorry for them and express some platitude about housing being a right.

Above all Brendan, you have to learn to be able to hold mutually exclusive opinions simultaneously:
We should cut taxes and increase public expenditure
We should abolish the Central Bank mortgage restrictions, ban repossessions and reduce mortgage rates
We should increase the supply of private housing and reduce prices and the local authorities should buy up all privately available housing for social housing.

I can safely say Leper knows nothing about the media.
I spent my entire professional life in it and anyone who is any good would never give stuff away like that for free ... ;)

Back