Anyone going on Joe Duffy should get media training as they will be devoured by media savvy Joe

I know the fella who wrote The Culchie's guide to Dublin, which he was asked to write as a humorous guide. It was full of the usual stereotypes about Dublin including driving fast through Ballyfermot. He went on Joe Duffy thinking it would be seen in light hearted way that the book was intended. He got absolutely savaged. Joe went to town on him and the callers bailed in on him. He didn't know what hit him and was totally unprepared for it. Then when he told them he lived in Dalkey....the roof went off the place. I was in bits laughing at it but it took the guy a while to recover from it :D

I know the fella who wrote The Culchie's guide to Dublin, which he was asked to write as a humorous guide. It was full of the usual stereotypes about Dublin including driving fast through Ballyfermot. He went on Joe Duffy thinking it would be seen in light hearted way that the book was intended. He got absolutely savaged. Joe went to town on him and the callers bailed in on him. He didn't know what hit him and was totally unprepared for it. Then when he told them he lived in Dalkey....the roof went off the place. I was in bits laughing at it but it took the guy a while to recover from it :D
1. I'm not surprised . . . . . . I keep saying:- Know your audience!
2. Never attend for any interview unless you know all the answers to all questions you'll be asked. Fail to prepare . . . prepare to fail!

Last edited:
Leper - are you really Ivan Yates?

Ivan explained that he would tell his clients to choose other RTÉ shows such as Today with Claire Byrne or The Ray D'Arcy Show.

He said: “I would advise people who are on a sticky wicket not to go on Liveline but to pick another RTE programme, like the News At One, Claire Byrne or Ray D’Arcy, where they will get more time and space to put forward their argument.

“With Liveline, part of the culture is based on loose interruptions. You could have three or four callers on at the same time.

“So someone who wanted to explain something that’s quite complex and wasn’t straightforward, I’m not that sure you would get that opportunity to tease it out on Liveline. But I’d never say never.”

Many's the person ringing in that brought Joe down to earth. The thing is, when the producers feel Joe is being shown up they cut to an advert and the caller is never heard from again. It's not any great skill from Talk to Jo, just the way it's set up. You can't win.

Leper - are you really Ivan Yates?

Ivan explained that he would tell his clients to choose other RTÉ shows such as Today with Claire Byrne or The Ray D'Arcy Show.

He said: “I would advise people who are on a sticky wicket not to go on Liveline but to pick another RTE programme, like the News At One, Claire Byrne or Ray D’Arcy, where they will get more time and space to put forward their argument.

“With Liveline, part of the culture is based on loose interruptions. You could have three or four callers on at the same time.

“So someone who wanted to explain something that’s quite complex and wasn’t straightforward, I’m not that sure you would get that opportunity to tease it out on Liveline. But I’d never say never.”
Thanks for that Mr Burgess, I'll take it as a compliment. In the past 48 hours people on this forum have asked if I am Michael O'Leary and one or two more; but Ivan Yates????, I'll take that too. Nice to see you with some humour too and you looked and sounded good on last night's news.

Back