Is this social welfare abuse?

I have had a glance through these posts also and everything doesn't add up as pointed out already. In August 2008 cleverclogs was on the housing list for 7 years and 11 months later (July 2009) this had increased to 9 years...... Is there a social welfare issue here?

I too checked out cleverclogs7, the posts do not add up at all. Her very first post goes on about her son, but later the son turns into a daughter, along with dates of being out the country really looks suspicious. I also note she's not one to be shy about replying when she feels wronged (see my posts about the cat in the garden and her angry replies), her silence on this subject is telling! (or she maybe just away for a few days sunning it up at our expense!)

Can you still be eligible to be on housing lists if your living outside the country? Why would you have your partner living with your parents, when you have a three bedroom house? At the very least shes playing a 'clever' dishonest game. Espiecally as she says she hasnt lived in ireland since 1993 and only moved back in 2008!!

;-)

pitch forks at the ready !!! rofl.

Last edited:
I too checked out cleverclogs7, the posts do not add up at all. Her very first post goes on about her son, but later the son turns into a daughter, along with dates of being out the country really looks suspicious. I also note she's not one to be shy about replying when she feels wronged (see my posts about the cat in the garden and her angry replies), her silence on this subject is telling! (or she maybe just away for a few days sunning it up at our expense!)

Can you still be eligible to be on housing lists if your living outside the country? Why would you have your partner living with your parents, when you have a three bedroom house? At the very least shes playing a 'clever' dishonest game. Espiecally as she says she hasnt lived in ireland since 1993 and only moved back in 2008!!

;-)

pitch forks at the ready !!! rofl.

I wonder did she ever give back the money for replacement of the dress after she managed to clean it for a few quid. Major drama few months back!

report her if you must,but be honest with us,arent you just a bit jealous,isnt that the real reason you want to report her?

I see Framework posted practically the same question on boards.ie two days after posting on askaboutmoney.com.hmm

It is fraud!

However, I have to put my two cents in and say that the system is a sham by almost encouraging people not to work! ie why would these people look for work when the benefits are so good?

I was actually going to post in defence of Clever Clogs 07 because I thought people were sticking their oar in and she has made some good posts on AAM. Some of the comments are a bit below the belt (not relevant here about cat in the garden or dress or whatever)

However, I did come across 2 posts that are relevant to the argument of social welfare anomolies and this particular thread.

15/8/2008 - There is a post asking if Social Welfare help with Gas/ESB, etc in the case of single parent with 2 children. Poster already gets rent allowance.

16/8/2008 - Same poster states that she has booked a 5* Cabin on the Oscar Wilde Ferry to France.

As far as I know, Social Welfare helps out with bills in extreme needy cases, I dont think it is something you automatically qualify for. I actually think it is unacceptable to book a 5* holiday and request help with bills on the same day. In my opinion it is irresponsible to head away on a top class holiday and expect SW to pay your utilities.

Perhaps there is some reasonable explanation, which will clear things up?

Regarding the original post and SW fraud, I would have no issue in reporting it. SW fraud hits all of us and if you seriously suspect it, report it. End of. The SW system is a system totally open to abuse. This needs to stop.

Also worth noting that under the freedom of information act the accused will be entitled to know the details of the person who reported them. This should deter most people for reporting for the wrong reasons.

Personally as stated before I would never bother. Would prefer to report those much further up the proverbial ladder. LS.

Afraid not. If someone makes a complaint against you to a government body you are entitled to know who that complaint was made by. A neighbour of mine was told by the council who complained about her dogs barking. Just glad it wasn't me!

Makes sense really, deters people from making malicious complaints and wasting departments time.

Afraid not. If someone makes a complaint against you to a government body you are entitled to know who that complaint was made by.
Apparently not necessarily . I seem to remember there being such a situation and the name of the person was not released. They can refuse and then it is up to the Information Commissioner to decide

A neighbour of mine was told by the council who complained about her dogs barking. Just glad it wasn't me!
Was she told through an FOI request or informally?

As previously posted from the Department's website - "Reporting possible fraud: The Central Control Section of the Department of Social and Family Affairs accepts reports of possible fraud offered by members of the public ... A member of the public may give details anonymously."

I fail to see the connection between barking dogs and possible social welfare fraud, but hopefully off-topic and inaccurate posts won't stop people taking appropriate action when they suspect fraud.

I would imagine if the person/s (who reported) was released by the Dept of Social Welfare, they would have no reportings!!!

I would imagine if the person/s (who reported) was released by the Dept of Social Welfare, they would have no reportings!!!
True but a lot may not know about FOI. There is a right to request the info but as stated i think they can refuse and i think there was a case where the commissioner upheld the refusal

Ok,

I am undecided as to whether I should report this,I dont want to feel like a 'snitch'!! wat do people think?

On the other hand i am paying more levies/tax to pay for all this!!

What kind of punishments would their be if they investigated my report and found she was guilty of?
I persume it wouldnt be as serious as jail-time,I dont really want to separate a mother-daughter?

What made me act on this at all,was she was boasting to a friend of a friend that she wouldnt event be looking for work as her benefits were too good!!!

She's a thief, no ifs or buts about it.

Who cares what penalties she'd receive, she'll have brought it on herself if she's caught.

Report her, I do so in a heartbeat.

Agree with above posts.BUT....whats happens if 5years down the line,marriage breaks up,no job and so on.she wouldnt be able to get back on any type of s.w payment.fraud would be on her file.what happens to child.just thinking about what would happen in the long run.the child would suffer.

It would be her fault for committing fraud in the first place, I wouldn't give a toss.

Hmm ok, I feel even worse now,if the child suffers I will feel very bad,I didnt realise she could lose all her entitlements...But unfortunately its too late as I have already posted the letter..

Good for you! And it's not unfortunate.

I know everyone here wants to pat you on the back for what you have done, but are you sure of the facts in this case?
She is a single parent because as you say the father is no longer around and the fact that she is engaged may mean very little at all. Are you sure that the fiance is living there full time thus contributing to the household? Getting engaged does not always lead to marriage and if she does become married then she will automatically lose some benefits anyway (I presume).

Better to be safe than sorry, if she's investigated and she's got nothing to hide she'll be fine. If she's caught out and is indeed cheating the system, then my heart bleeds for her.

Better to be safe than sorry, if she's investigated and she's got nothing to hide she'll be fine. If she's caught out and is indeed cheating the system, then my heart bleeds for her.

It may not be a problem for her if she is innoncent, but where would the reports stop? It should only be an issue if you have some sort of proof. If reporting became widespread with rumours and gossip getting out of hand we will eventually become seriously guarded about our lives for fear of having to go through an inspection. I just think that unless it is blatant then people should back off.

It may not be a problem for her if she is innoncent, but where would the reports stop? It should only be an issue if you have some sort of proof. If reporting became widespread with rumours and gossip getting out of hand we will eventually become seriously guarded about our lives for fear of having to go through an inspection. I just think that unless it is blatant then people should back off.

While I partially agree with this point, the OP said that this person was boasting about the situation and saying she wouldnt even consider looking for work as the benefits were too good.

I dont think that as a society we should be reporting people just because we see them living a certain lifestyle and we are making assumptions, but the reality is that if someone is boasting about their fraud they deserve to be reported.

... It should only be an issue if you have some sort of proof ...
I disagree. Proof is something that doesn't exist outside of mathematics (notwithstanding a verdict of "Not Proven" possible in Scottish courts), and only an investigation by suitably qualified / authorised professionals can gather the evidence needed to substantiate a charge of fraud in court.

Therefore, Séan & Sheila Citizen can and should only make a report when reasonable suspicions arise (like "boasting" and a live-in partner as OP observed).

only an investigation by suitably qualified / authorised professionals can gather the evidence needed to substantiate a charge of fraud in court.

Some of these 'qualified' professionals ie civil servants can make life decidedly uncomfortable if not unliveable if they have half a mind to. We only had a case in the papers in the last couple of weeks.

I know a couple of stories myself where the person was doing nothing wrong and had a terrible time dealing with social welfare.

Back