Is this social welfare abuse?

I really didn't think you were condoning this action. This brings up another matter whereby children are one of the reasons unmarried/single mothers get 'free' housing. I don't mean to generalise as I also realise there are genuine cases out there. I do remember one time (many years ago) when my baby was in hospital - I was in a room with two unmarried mothers who were discussing how to get bigger houses by having more babies...... at the time my concern was for my baby but it goes to show how children are being used to a means. I see young children running around after 10pm in our town and nobody seems to be accountable. What is our world coming to.

where in my post did you see me condoning this action.I said what she is doing is wrong.W R O N G. it's the child i feel sorry for not her.yes there are genuine cases out there,and i am one of them.not proud of being a single mom and would give an arm and a leg to be able to work and have a nice house,husband and happy life.I make do with what i have a thank god everyday for my children and hope that sometime soon my circumstances change for the better.

I wouldn't feel bad framework. The woman is marrying and living with someone who is working. You did the right thing, well done.

I agree with your actions framework, I too would report. The people fraudently claiming social welfare should be reported, yes feel sorry for the children, but then the parents who are stealing (and lets be honest that's what they are doing) for the govt, taxpayers and the people who REALLY need it, i.e. the genuine "single" parent, we are running out of money, the govt can't afford, we can't afford it. And the attitude pity the children, stinks, the theiving parents know exactly what they are doing, and if you think about it rent allowance at an average of 1k a month is 12k a year - if it's not genuine should be spent on other services such as health education. Fraudsters should face really strict penalties. Sorry don't mean to sound mean, but pity the children! Perhaps we should, welfare, single parents and rent allowance is meant for people who really need it and the sooner the social welfare puts in proper methods and names and shames these clowns the better.

I agree,good stuff for reporting..If the child suffers its her fault,definitely not yours....Anyone how know long they take to act on such reports?Or what the process would be? Like would they send someone out to her house etc.?

Just think if everybody reported people like this,and nearly eveyone knows someone abusing the system I reckon..we mightnt get anymore income levy increaes lol !!

This brings up another matter whereby children are one of the reasons unmarried/single mothers get 'free' housing.

I asume by "free housing" you mean council housing!?
Just for the record single mothers are not the only people who get council houses in fact alot of couples and married people also get housed by the council!!
Also single mothers are not the ONLY people who get rent allowance either. Plenty of single childless people and couples (married or co-habitating) get rent allowance. Stop generalising.

Framework don't feel bad for reporting her, it's these kind of people who give genuine people a bad name.

I was in a room with two unmarried mothers who were discussing how to get bigger houses by having more babies

On a semi-unrelated note. Is the term "unmarried mother" actually still used? Sounds a bit archaic.

Also, I imagine the reason certain governments like our own provide additional benefits such as accommodation allowances for single parents is to promote the raising of children. So whats the problem?

Lady, I think if you read my posts I did say that 'I do not mean to generalise' and I KNOW many genuine cases and of course I would never point a finger at the genuine (give me a break here) My last post referred to an instance where I overheard these 'free loaders' helping eachother understand how to get bigger houses.

These posts refer to those who freeload NOT the genuine cases.

On a slightly separate note - how much would this person in questions actually be recieving in benefits -

1 Child? - Childrens allowance +
Single parent allowance? +
Dole +
Rent allowance? I know this can vary place to place but
+ Any other benefits?

T

Are developers who have defaulted on loans up to 1 billion being brought before courts and prosecuted and have their homes taken away?. Or does the civil service just pick on the soft targets?

Are developers who have defaulted on loans up to 1 billion being brought before courts and prosecuted and have their homes taken away?. Or does the civil service just pick on the soft targets?

If someone stole your car would you feel the same ?

After all , a car is nothing compared to what the property developers/banks did.

PD99 -the the developer/bank situation is for another thread and another discussion, what does that have to do with social welfare fraud? Social welfare fraudsters are stealing from yours, and mine, and making a mockery out of hardworking (or people like cleverclogs7 who are in need of assistance from the state). We all know that the bank and developer situation is a complete and utter mess, which needs to be addressed and people need to be held accountable, but the discussion is about people claiming benefits fraudently which is also a huge problem. How are the civil servants picking on the soft option? If you are claiming benefits (which many people are) that you are not entitled to, and you are found out how is that them picking on a soft option? Have you ever heard of someone getting their benefits taking off them if they are legally entitled to them, your argument to this thread makes no sense.

Well Done Framework. You deserve a reward! Don't you dare feel guilty for what you have done, remember you haven't done anything wrong. These fraudsters only have themsevles to blame (and ignore the think of children crap), all you are doing is rebalancing the karma.

If this person is willing to knowingly commit fraud, and the fact she has a child doesn't seem to deter her, then thats the fraudsters look out.

Hi,

Quick query(this isnt me just in case I get attacked)

A female with a young daughter, childs father no longer in the picture.
She is now with another partner,engaged to be married in 2010.
She rents a house.

She is unemployd thus claiming dole,she also claims single parents allowance and rent allowance.

However her current partner is lving with her full time, he also works full time.
I am guessing she shouldnt be claiming single parents,but does it matter that her partner is not the childs father?

She also claims rent allowance on house she has rented but her partner lives there aswell, is this ok?

Thanks ,

F

I know everyone here wants to pat you on the back for what you have done, but are you sure of the facts in this case?
She is a single parent because as you say the father is no longer around and the fact that she is engaged may mean very little at all. Are you sure that the fiance is living there full time thus contributing to the household? Getting engaged does not always lead to marriage and if she does become married then she will automatically lose some benefits anyway (I presume).

I know everyone here wants to pat you on the back for what you have done, but are you sure of the facts in this case?
She is a single parent because as you say the father is no longer around and the fact that she is engaged may mean very little at all. Are you sure that the fiance is living there full time thus contributing to the household? Getting engaged does not always lead to marriage and if she does become married then she will automatically lose some benefits anyway (I presume).

I agree with this. The OP does not know the facts of the situation, its possible that she has declared her co-habiting status and income of her partner to SW.

However - if this is the case she will be investigated and lose nothing. Reporting someone for suspected fraud does not automatically mean they lose anything, it just means that they get investigated. And if all is in order then thats that.

Still a good thing to report her if you suspect something. Although I agree that your suspicions MAY be unwarranted, but thats something for SW to find out.

Well im 100% sure he has moved in with her and that he works full time..What he contributes to running the house,I have no idea,but if hes not contributing anything,it means hes living there rent free basically..
As regards disclosing his income to SW, I would be 90% certain that she hasnt,just going on things ive heard,but obvioulsy I cant be 100% sure in this regard..Anyhow its with SW now to investigate and I genuinely hope im wrong on this, I feel now like i have got involved in other peoples business where I shouldnt have!!

Well im 100% sure he has moved in with her and that he works full time..What he contributes to running the house,I have no idea,but if hes not contributing anything,it means hes living there rent free basically..
As regards disclosing his income to SW, I would be 90% certain that she hasnt,just going on things ive heard,but obvioulsy I cant be 100% sure in this regard..Anyhow its with SW now to investigate and I genuinely hope im wrong on this, I feel now like i have got involved in other peoples business where I shouldnt have!!

It doesnt matter if you are right or wrong, you are not telling SW that she is committing fraud, you are telling them you have a suspicion that she is committing fraud - a big difference.

No harm to be investigated if youre not doing anything wrong.

you did the correct thing.If you really felt you should'nt have put your nose into her business,then you wouldnt have made a post about it.
whats done is done so just let it be.

No harm to be investigated if youre not doing anything wrong.

Exactly.

Not always easy to find a happy medium between turning a blind eye and starting a witch hunt though. I think we all should be a little careful as a society regarding this kind of thing.

Back