Is this social welfare abuse?

Framework

Hi,

Quick query(this isnt me just in case I get attacked)

A female with a young daughter, childs father no longer in the picture.
She is now with another partner,engaged to be married in 2010.
She rents a house.

She is unemployd thus claiming dole,she also claims single parents allowance and rent allowance.

However her current partner is lving with her full time, he also works full time.
I am guessing she shouldnt be claiming single parents,but does it matter that her partner is not the childs father?

She also claims rent allowance on house she has rented but her partner lives there aswell, is this ok?

Thanks ,

F

Yes its called fraud.... firstly she is in a relationship and this person lives in the house. Entitlement is calculated for lone parent allowance on income - including that of the partner who is living full-time in the household. Entitlement to Rent allowance is calculated on household income and if her partner has full-time employment has she declared this means as part of her means assessment? If you have any concerns the DSFA has a control and fraud unit and suspected cases of fraud can be made anonymously.

By email: [email protected]
By phone: (01) 704 3000, ask for Central Control Section or
(071) 9672648,
By Post: Central Control Division, Shannon Lodge, Carrick-on-Shannon, Co Leitrim.

Ok,

I am undecided as to whether I should report this,I dont want to feel like a 'snitch'!! wat do people think?

On the other hand i am paying more levies/tax to pay for all this!!

What kind of punishments would their be if they investigated my report and found she was guilty of?
I persume it wouldnt be as serious as jail-time,I dont really want to separate a mother-daughter?

What made me act on this at all,was she was boasting to a friend of a friend that she wouldnt event be looking for work as her benefits were too good!!!

Why question yourself? It's fraud. My taxes are too high as it is and perhaps if enough of these fraudsters are reported it may help reduce our debts. Report it - no question

ok ill report her i guess,have to say dont feel great about doing it,for some reason.

will a name and a rough address be enough? I dont have an exact adress like
Plus suspected abuses?
I am just going to send an annoymous letter

Fraud section contact details - from the bottom of this page - http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Press/PressReleases/2009/Pages/pr210109.aspx

"Reporting possible fraud The Central Control Section of the Department of Social and Family Affairs accepts reports of possible fraud offered by members of the public in relation to the Department’s schemes.
Reports are accepted by email, phone or in writing. All reports are dealt with in confidence. A member of the public may give details anonymously.
Contact Details:
By email: [email protected]
By phone: (01) 704 3000, ask for Central Control Section,
By Post: Central Control Division, Shannon Lodge, Carrick-on-Shannon, Co Leitrim."

Its cases like this that are increasing all our taxes and levies! She needs to be reported.

Agree with above posts.BUT....whats happens if 5years down the line,marriage breaks up,no job and so on.she wouldnt be able to get back on any type of s.w payment.fraud would be on her file.what happens to child.just thinking about what would happen in the long run.the child would suffer.

Agree with above posts.BUT....whats happens if 5years down the line,marriage breaks up,no job and so on.she wouldnt be able to get back on any type of s.w payment.fraud would be on her file.what happens to child.just thinking about what would happen in the long run.the child would suffer.

You could say that about everyone defrauding the system, of course there is a consequence for fraud.

Report it.

Cleverclogs, are you suggesting that she should not be reported because she may not get back on Social Welfare in the future? Do you not think that there should be consequences for actions. Anyone who knowingly makes fraudulent claims should be prepared to pay the consequences. It's about time we reported all such instances and then maybe we can start to get the country back into some order.

... BUT....whats happens if 5years down the line,marriage breaks up,no job and so on.she wouldnt be able to get back on any type of s.w payment...
I'm not sure if that's true, but even if it is true, it's entirely her responsibility and it wouldn't deter me. She is entirely responsible for the consequences of her fraudulent actions.

yup pretty sure,i read simular case and the person was denied payment because of .s.w fraud in the past.The mother is one thing,i would just feel sorry for the child involved.As he/she has no say in what the mother does.

Cleverclogs, are you suggesting that she should not be reported because she may not get back on Social Welfare in the future? Do you not think that there should be consequences for actions. Anyone who knowingly makes fraudulent claims should be prepared to pay the consequences. It's about time we reported all such instances and then maybe we can start to get the country back into some order.

of course not.what the mother is doing is wrong.My main concern is the child.

of course not.what the mother is doing is wrong.My main concern is the child.

I really didn't think you were condoning this action. This brings up another matter whereby children are one of the reasons unmarried/single mothers get 'free' housing. I don't mean to generalise as I also realise there are genuine cases out there. I do remember one time (many years ago) when my baby was in hospital - I was in a room with two unmarried mothers who were discussing how to get bigger houses by having more babies...... at the time my concern was for my baby but it goes to show how children are being used to a means. I see young children running around after 10pm in our town and nobody seems to be accountable. What is our world coming to.

Hmm ok, I feel even worse now,if the child suffers I will feel very bad,I didnt realise she could lose all her entitlements...But unfortunately its too late as I have already posted the letter..All I gave was her name,rough address and suspected abuses..They probably wont even act on it but i feel ive done my bit for the Irish economy + society today!!! Or have I???

Well done Framework. Keep us updated on any progress. Maybe it will help others. Don't feel bad, feel pleased that you have done some good for us all.

Back