Is this social welfare abuse?

Exactly.

Not always easy to find a happy medium between turning a blind eye and starting a witch hunt though. I think we all should be a little careful as a society regarding this kind of thing.

It seems that this particular case was sparked by the op being irked by the apparent 'boasting' of the young lady in question. I would just hope that the greater good of protecting our taxes doesn't lead to people being wrongly accused and having to undergo any unwarranted stress. If you are 100% above board it does not mean that you will enjoy the process of having your circumstances probed.

I dont think there is any harm in keeping this topic opened. I have just come across it and having been in a similar situation to the OP I have been debating whether or not to report a similar situation in which a 'single' mother whom is known to me is living with her three kids and their father. Neither mother or father work and the father is not registered as the kids father as 'the welfare would investigate if he was father to all three kids'! Thanks to the OP I have now got the strength and thanks to other posters I now know where to report what can only be described as fraud. I am sick of driving past their house on my way to work to see their blinds closed while I am forced to get up early every morning to pay my bills, mortgage etc to support my family or to see this so called 'single mother' driving around to the post office in her flash car to collect her 'wages'! I agree at rent allowance is there for many genuine reasons however it is this abuse of the system that has led to our taxes being sky high. Also there are many genuine single mothers in need of this help who could, im sure, do with more assistance whilst these 'scroungers' are feeding off state money which could be put to so much more use.

I would agree with ericsson, I too see no harm in keeping this thread open, the govt needs to reduce social welfare spending dramatically, they don't have the resources to investigate every social welfare claimant, however, as another poster as already pointed out the govt has saved a lot of money already by people reporting social welfare fraud and it has given ericsson the courage and information to report another fraud, which will ultimately save some more money, if everyone reported social welfare fraud (or suspected fraud) then people may be less likely to try to defraud the system themselves.

Cleverclogs7, your post declaring (sorry don't know how to use quotes) that it was about time to close this thread got me curious, and after reading your posts I am wondering what your status is? In some posts you state you are a single mum without a partner, in others you have a partner but he lives with your parents, he’s your ex partner and gay in another - how does that happen/work? You have been reported once for suspected welfare fraud, why? You have been on the housing list for nine years, however, on the 25/12/08 (Christmas day!) you replied to a thread about Prague, that you had lived there for 5 years and had just moved home from Ireland a few months ago - your exact words!!!. So how exactly are you were you able to be on the council housing list for 9 years when you were out of the country for 5 off them???

Things aren’t adding up here! Either you are a compulsive, liar, a Walter Mitty type OR you are a social welfare fraudster.

[/color]

you did the correct thing.If you really felt you should'nt have put your nose into her business,then you wouldnt have made a post about it.
whats done is done so just let it be.

To be fair to OP, his/her post was only asking if it was abuse..And he/she has every right to ask this question as his/her taxes are paying for their benefits....

yup.think its about time this topic is closed.

Yes and I agree this thread should be kept open...We already have 2 people who have reported suspected abuses because of this thread...If more people do this and the claims are indeed fradulant we could save millions in welfare and pay for other vital services..Obviously some genuine people will end up being investiagated but I feel if you are receiving welfare beneifts it should come with the territority that you can be investigated....I know if i was receiving benefits I would expect to be investigated and would have no problem with this

TBH this drives me absolutley nuts...it angers me more than anything else. I used to be on lone parents but gave it up when i returned to work. I now work full time, I have two children. I get up at 5.30 in the morning dragging my kids out of bed at 6am to be out the door and to the childminders for 7am. I dont drive so we have a twenty minute walk at this time to the childminder rain or shine, I get home from work at quarter to 5 in the evening and by the time I have collected kids and got home its almost 6pm then dinner, homework, cleaning, shopping, washing clothes etc I eventually get to sit down at about 9pm. I am also attending college every tuesday evening until 10pm...I very rarely get to take my kids to school or even meet their teachers, I am constantly rushing them around from A to B. At the end of the week when I finally get paid I have less than 100e left over for to do me until the next week. I have a mortgage that I am struggling with, I have bills up to my eyes and no help from anybody.....I am not whining about my situation I am comparing it to that of somebody like the girl this post is about.

The get to spend time with their kids, have comfortable lives, dont have to drag their kids from bed at ridiculous hours, have a medical card, a roof over their head paid for by me and everybody else, and more money than i could wish for (in most cases)

I know of so many people who are doing this and it makes me sick. It also gives the genuine lone parents such a bad name.

I lived in a council estate for about 3 years as I had no choice, SOME and i have to say SOME not all of the neighbours where playing this game, even going as far as ringing vincent de paul at christmas and getting money to pay bills and pay for SANTA! then they would fight with one another if one got the money from VDEP and one didnt! it was horrific!

all these women perfectly capable of going out to work but nobody bothering! When I couldnt stick unemployment anymore and returned to work when I got a job they all turned on me! bullying me and my family because i simply wanted better for me and my kids...it got so bad i couldnt leave the house i was so scared, i fell into depression and spent most days in work crying...I worked two jobs to get myself a mortgage because the council or the guards wouldnt help me and my children.

I have netter "snitched" on any of them but I have been very tempted believe me! I would be too frightened to report these women. Some of them even ran businesses from their homes and were doing it for years while claiming to be sick!

WHAT ABOUT THE GENUINE PEOPLE WHO REALLY NEED THIS MONEY AND THESE HOUSES! ! ! !

but at the end of the day the goverment should clamp down and vet every case alot more than they do and maybe we wouldnt be so badly off as a country now!

Excuse the rant this is just a topic very close to my heart :(

Aquaceri,

Your post detailing your own experiences being a single mum, dependant on state benefits, and having to deal with social housing, benefits and a welfare dependant society is very powerful. As a society we are we are quick to judge single mothers, but do we give enough kudos and appreciation for those single mothers who are out there, who are striving and doing a bloody good job of bringing up their kids without being a burden on society. Fair play, keep striving, I know it's hard enough being a parent (financially, let alone the emotional side of things) with two of us, mr sally occasionally listens which helps! I have to work nights in a call centre doing mind boggling boring questions and tasks, which I won't even bore you with, just to make end meet. Unlike these fraudsters, I and my hubby have to work each week, spending a large part of our (Taxable) income on childcare, and like you have little in the way of energy or money to spend on our kids, or lesuire time. Not complaining about our life, we chose to have kids, we knew we might not have millions of cash to splash about, but we did'nt reckon on having our hard earned taxes, spent on mothers who abuse the sytem, pretending they are single parents (and if you are clever you know exactly who I mean!). I hope to goodness I am never in the position to have to experince single parenthood, however, if I were, I hope to God I was as strong as
Aquaceri, KUDOS.

"This is not a rant. Your story is real and everyone working to make ends meet would (I imagine) be in full agreement. "

Disagree with you there. I pay a lot of tax and think the OP should get on with her own life and leave this person alone. Exactly what is going to be achieved by her actions............absolutely nothing.

Maybe the OP should take a closer look at the amount of money being claimed by their local Politicans and do something about that................... Oh no, that would take real guts. :rolleyes:

Link supplied just to put things into perspective.

[broken link removed]

... Disagree with you there. I pay a lot of tax and think the OP should get on with her own life and leave this person alone. Exactly what is going to be achieved by her actions............absolutely nothing...
We all pay lots of tax. However, whether anything is achieved by OP correctly reporting suspected welfare abuse is up to the investigators and has nothing got to do with my tax-bill or anyone else's.
... Maybe the OP should take a closer look at the amount of money being claimed by their local Politicans and do something about that................... Oh no, that would take real guts. :rolleyes:

Link supplied just to put things into perspective.

[broken link removed]
This is disrespectful as well as being an off-topic rant IMO and I can't see a connection with the thread topic.

"We all pay lots of tax. However, whether anything is achieved by OP correctly reporting suspected welfare abuse is up to the investigators and has nothing got to do with my tax-bill or anyone else's."

My tax is being used to fund these investigations so it actually does have something to do with my tax bill.

"This is disrespectful as well as being an off-topic rant IMO and I can't see a connection with the thread topic. "

I was simply comparing one "claim" to another, not off topic. Disrespectful to whom? It was a link to the Irish Times.

So how exactly are you were you able to be on the council housing list for 9 years when you were out of the country for 5 off them???

Things aren’t adding up here! Either you are a compulsive, liar, a Walter Mitty type OR you are a social welfare fraudster.

I have had a glance through these posts also and everything doesn't add up as pointed out already. In August 2008 cleverclogs was on the housing list for 7 years and 11 months later (July 2009) this had increased to 9 years...... Is there a social welfare issue here?

Or simply someone who's no good at sums?

Could be........ but there are a lot of inconsitencies throughout.... i just added one more without reiterating the rest. Would sums affect partner points outlined by Sally?

Or simply someone who's no good at sums?

Or someone not giving full details in order to not be identified, or asking questions for someone else. I do that, it's easier to refer to oneself rather than saying my sister has a problem etc.

In relation to the OP's original post, I don't understand people meddling in other people's affairs.

In relation to the OP's original post, I don't understand people meddling in other people's affairs.

Bronte, I wouldn't agree with this statement at all. It is everyones business to be a responsible citizen. This goes from the highest levels right the way down. If you witness another crime e.g. a mugging, a murder, etc. should you also not meddle in this?

I asume by "free housing" you mean council housing!?
Just for the record single mothers are not the only people who get council houses in fact alot of couples and married people also get housed by the council!!
Also single mothers are not the ONLY people who get rent allowance either. Plenty of single childless people and couples (married or co-habitating) get rent allowance. Stop generalising.

Framework don't feel bad for reporting her, it's these kind of people who give genuine people a bad name.

Most of the people I know claiming rent subsidy are single adults (about 90% male) with no dependents. Or at least no dependents they are contributing anything towards.

Lone parents are in a kind of vicious circle as the stigma still attached to them in society and lack of affordable childcare makes it hard to afford the still obscene rents in Ireland because they find it difficult to get decently paid work that is sufficient to pay for childcare services AND rents. Those who come off welfare and try to make ends meet are punished hard for doing so by a system that really is effectively centred around a 2-parent-working family on about 25% more each at least. Its not uncommon to find working lone parents who are actually worse off that a lot of welfare dependent ones.

I am not condoning blatant fraud but there is a big gap, partially caused by well-intended increases in allowances for rents in particular that have created a baseline for market rents to start at. This hurts people who pay their own way, including lone parents, even more.

That said, its hardly a good example for a child to be brought up in a household where fraud is practiced out on a day-to-day basis. But difficult really in the context of a society where a lot of other peopls incomes are in freefall also.

Bronte, I wouldn't agree with this statement at all. It is everyones business to be a responsible citizen.
Oh well, I think I should have been a developer, banker, planner or politician, than I would have been a much more responsible citizen.

Back