Is there no offence of Dangerous Parking?

I don't understand your point?

This van was parked in a very dangerous position. Not just making it inconvenient for traffic. But making it dangerous for people to get past on a busy corner.

There is plenty of parking nearby which would be on double yellow lines but not dangerous. I fully appreciate that some classes of vehicles e.g. clampers, ambulances and cash in transit vans should have some leeway.

Brendan

I presume they are happy to risk getting a fine (which is unlikely I'm guessing), as it makes them safer, and quicker.

There's obviously more to this as a one off parking wouldn't attract someone's scrutiny.

Two sides to every story

That's not a second side to the story. A second side would be something like the van being in a legal parking space that wasn't shown in the photo/description.
The issue of managing cash safely is a separate one. Just because the cash van company and/or the commercial premises involved haven't come up with a safe solution for themselves doesn't give them the right to break the law and endanger other people.

I think you are missing the wider issue. If there is low risk enforcement the benefits outweigh the risks.

I think the guards would have more serious crimes too investigate than a van parked in a dangerous position for a few minutes.
We live together in a society. Just because you don't feel it's important, it doesn't mean people with their park-anywhere lights on can break the law and put others in danger. If enough people feel a law is wrong for some reason (and I don't think a large proportion would think the parking described here is acceptable), it should be discussed and possibly changed democratically, not just ignored.
Also, this is *exactly* what the Garda road traffic unit are there for - to protect us all. Last year, 155 people died on our roads - anything we can do to reduce that is a win.

Which equivalence?
Also, I said that we should do things that reduce the number of deaths. I didn't say they were all caused by dangerous parking.

If parking isn't a factor. Enforcement of it will have no effect on those type of deaths.

No doubt bad parking causes lots of problems for people, and should be enforced.

That's not a second side to the story. A second side would be something like the van being in a legal parking space that wasn't shown in the photo/description.
The issue of managing cash safely is a separate one. Just because the cash van company and/or the commercial premises involved haven't come up with a safe solution for themselves doesn't give them the right to break the law and endanger other people.
I'm reminded of the time that the medic got his car clamped on the Crescent in Galway for parking badly while saving a child's life in a medical emergency. The child's dad's car got clamped too. Galway City Council eventually ended clamping following the public outcry. https://www.independent.ie/irish-ne...-up-taking-sick-boy-to-hospital-25915221.html

Last edited:
If parking isn't a factor. Enforcement of it will have no effect on those type of deaths.

No doubt bad parking causes lots of problems for people, and should be enforced.
Are you claiming that dangerous parking never causes any deaths? I'd be surprised if it doesn't. A few seconds searching just now found this:

I'm reminded of the time that the medic got his car clamped on the Crescent in Galway for parking badly while saving a child's life in a medical emergency. The child's dad's car got clamped to. Galway City Council eventually ended clamping following the public outcry. https://www.independent.ie/irish-ne...-up-taking-sick-boy-to-hospital-25915221.html
Is your suggestion a free-for-all then? If so, I don't agree. it would be better to solve both problems separately: suitable safe measures in place for emergency situations like that; and enforcement to tackle dangerous parking/driving. You and I are, I'm sure, both very concerned about children's lives - look at how dangerous the roads are for children.

Did you read the story you quoted.

"....It was the prosecution case that Meade had parked her black Opel Astra outside Mr Corbett's home, facing the traffic in a dangerous position with the headlights on. It was alleged that Meade had acted recklessly by disregarding a warning that the lights from her car were blinding oncoming motorists...."

Did you read the story you quoted.

"....It was the prosecution case that Meade had parked her black Opel Astra outside Mr Corbett's home, facing the traffic in a dangerous position with the headlights on. It was alleged that Meade had acted recklessly by disregarding a warning that the lights from her car were blinding oncoming motorists...."
So, are some type of dangerous parking unacceptable but others are ok?
Are you claiming that dangerous parking never causes any deaths?
To repeat - I spent a few seconds searching and found that story - are you so sure that there are no others? I think with a bit of time to research, I could find more (by the way, we haven't even gotten into talking about all the life-changing injuries caused by cars)

You making associations with things that may not be associated.

No one's saying, parking is does not warrant enforcement. But you can't associate as you are doing.

You making associations with things that may not be associated.

No one's saying, parking is does not warrant enforcement. But you can't associate as you are doing.
Let's try again - do you feel that dangerous parking (such as highlighted by Brendan here) is safe?

Back