Is there no offence of Dangerous Parking?

Double yellow lines mean nothing in this country. Cars are constantly parked on them in Sandyford. Clear ways are ignored all the time too.

The corner at the Beacon Hospital is an extremely busy junction and is often backed up. You will often find people (usually older people) parked in the clear way or in the cycle lane inside the bollards because they won't go into the car park to pick up someone from the hospital. Pay the €3 and stop blocking clear ways!!!
Anything goes in Sandyford. DLRCO have paid parking on the roadways in the estate extending almost to the tee junctions with other roads. People are encouraged to park within 5 metres of the junctions adjacent to a continuous white middle line and charged for the privilege. I reported this to the gardai and got no response. I was using these roads while my daughters were learning to drive and they are dangerous as a result of the parked cars.

IANAL Yes there is, section 55 RTA 1961. You can video the vehicle in question getting the reg no, give a statement to the Gardai together with the footage and they will do the rest.
I think the guards would have more serious crimes too investigate than a van parked in a dangerous position for a few minutes.

Anything goes in Sandyford. DLRCO have paid parking on the roadways in the estate extending almost to the tee junctions with other roads. People are encouraged to park within 5 metres of the junctions adjacent to a continuous white middle line and charged for the privilege. I reported this to the gardai and got no response. I was using these roads while my daughters were learning to drive and they are dangerous as a result of the parked cars.
Although there's a fella on his moped checking parking tickets all the time there!!

Although there's a fella on his moped checking parking tickets all the time there!!
Yes, he won't be bothered as the cars are parked in the marked out pay parking areas.
Just to clarify the marked out area is opposite to the continuous white line and too close to the junction corner. They are not parking without paying.

Which is, arguably, a fallacy if you read up on it.
I haven't researched it but am happy to wager that it's a fallacy that police ignoring parking violations by cash in transit handlers will encourage further crime and disorder.

Yes, he won't be bothered as the cars are parked in the marked out pay parking areas.
Just to clarify the marked out area is opposite to the continuous white line and too close to the junction corner. They are not parking without paying.
I've seen same setup in Marino around one of its confusing circle parks \ giant roundabouts.

It's not just a DLR thing. Either the continuous white line should go, or the parking area.

But after this digression, we return to the thread to await closure on this anecdote.

But after this digression, we return to the thread to await closure on this anecdote.
@Brendan Burgess has better things to be doing than posting here...

Shutterstock_1116206c.jpg

As maddening and dangerous the parking is, they are exiting the shop most likely with a large amount of cash and with it all the danger that brings. Being positioned in the place that is the shortest route from the shop door to the van is probably something they are encouraged to do by a company policy.

As maddening and dangerous the parking is, they are exiting the shop most likely with a large amount of cash and with it all the danger that brings. Being positioned in the place that is the shortest route from the shop door to the van is probably something they are encouraged to do by a company policy.
Dangerous parking is OK once it's convenient for the van driver and covered by private company policy.

The Garda said it was a parking offence but that they could not do anything unless they witnessed it themselves.

But other than issuing a ticket, they could do nothing. It doesn't matter where the double yellow lines were.

Brendan
If the garda saw the dangerous parking, they could have given the driver 3 penalty points and a fine.

The RSA’s list of offences incurring penalty points says parking a vehicle in a dangerous position gets 3 penalty points and an €80 fine. On conviction it is 5 penalty points.

https://www.rsa.ie/docs/default-sou...ty-points-offences-2022.pdf?sfvrsn=7ef1d693_9

I think the guards would have more serious crimes too investigate than a van parked in a dangerous position for a few minutes.
Actually Roads Policing units are there specifically to deal with issues like this.

And if you think of it, more people die and are seriously injured by a motor vehicle than any "criminal" act. So in terms of preventive injury and death this would be serious enough.

It's also a busy junction.

Reminds me of Moss in the IT Crowd emailing the fire brigade to report a fire in the office...

Love that.

Yes but it worked. If stupid and it works, then maybe it's not stupid. Its parody I know. Fire extinguisher going on fire.

Back