Is there no offence of Dangerous Parking?

Brendan Burgess

Founder
I saw this outrageous parking this morning in Sandymount

1675162886890.png

So it's a 4 road junction :
1675163021623.png
And he has parked on double yellow lines right at the point.

Cars coming from Sandymount Green have to cross over the median line to get past.

Cars coming from Sandymount Road have limited visibility.

The hazards were on and there was no driver in the car. I took photos from a few angles so I imagine that he was there for at least 5 minutes after I first saw him. In other words, he was not stopping to drop someone off.

I walked down to Irishtown Garda station and they said that if they had witnessed it themselves, all they could have done was issued him with a parking ticket as there is no offence of dangerous parking.

Brendan

If they can issue a parking ticket then is an offence.

1. Parking on Double Yellow lines.
2. Parking with in 5 meters of a corner.

You may get better results complaining directly to GSLS.

Double yellow lines mean nothing in this country. Cars are constantly parked on them in Sandyford. Clear ways are ignored all the time too.

The corner at the Beacon Hospital is an extremely busy junction and is often backed up. You will often find people (usually older people) parked in the clear way or in the cycle lane inside the bollards because they won't go into the car park to pick up someone from the hospital. Pay the €3 and stop blocking clear ways!!!

You can also report traffic offences into the Garda online. I did it one a few years ago, three months later a Guard phone me about it!

1. Parking on Double Yellow lines.
2. Parking with in 5 meters of a corner.

Sorry Towger

I didn't explain it well and the original title was misleading.

We agree that it's an offence, but it's "just" a parking offence and faces the normal penalty for parking on double yellow lines.

The Garda said it was a parking offence but that they could not do anything unless they witnessed it themselves.

But other than issuing a ticket, they could do nothing. It doesn't matter where the double yellow lines were.

Brendan

Last edited:
The double yellow lines don't apply in certain conditions

( e ) a prohibition on the parking of a vehicle imposed by article 36(2)(a) shall not apply to a vehicle parked while goods are being loaded in or on to it or unloaded from it, for a period not exceeding thirty minutes from the commencement of the parking.

Parking at a junction I'd imagine is a different situation though.

I saw this outrageous parking this morning in Sandymount

View attachment 7202

So it's a 4 road junction :
View attachment 7203
And he has parked on double yellow lines right at the point.

Cars coming from Sandymount Green have to cross over the median line to get past.

Cars coming from Sandymount Road have limited visibility.

The hazards were on and there was no driver in the car. I took photos from a few angles so I imagine that he was there for at least 5 minutes after I first saw him. In other words, he was not stopping to drop someone off.

I walked down to Irishtown Garda station and they said that if they had witnessed it themselves, all they could have done was issued him with a parking ticket as there is no offence of dangerous parking.

Brendan
IANAL Yes there is, section 55 RTA 1961. You can video the vehicle in question getting the reg no, give a statement to the Gardai together with the footage and they will do the rest.

Thanks Carrot

F114[Parking vehicle in dangerous position.
55.— (1) A person shall not park a vehicle in a public place if, when so parked, the vehicle would be likely to cause danger to other persons using that place.

(2) A person who contravenes subsection (1) commits an offence and is liable on summary conviction—

(a) in the case of—

(i) a first offence, where any part of the period of the contravention was a period within lighting-up hours (as declared by regulations under section 11) during which the vehicle did not fulfil the requirements imposed by law with respect to lighting and reflectors, or

(ii) a second or any subsequent offence, to a class B fine or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding one month or to both,

and

(b) in any other case, to a class C fine.

(3) Where a member of the Garda Síochána is of opinion that a person is committing or has committed an offence under this section, he or she may arrest the person without warrant.]

Two sides to every story

I don't understand your point?

This van was parked in a very dangerous position. Not just making it inconvenient for traffic. But making it dangerous for people to get past on a busy corner.

There is plenty of parking nearby which would be on double yellow lines but not dangerous. I fully appreciate that some classes of vehicles e.g. clampers, ambulances and cash in transit vans should have some leeway.

Brendan

Back