Internet not working

Magnet use public IP addresses. Assuming that all consumer broadband products use private RFC1918 addresses and NAT is bad.

It sounds like this laptop is not using the right DNS servers.

The two IP addresses mentioned resolve to ns1.magnet.ie and ns2.magnet.ie

Random googling suggests that dns1.magnet.ie (85.91.1.18) and dns2.magnet.ie (85.91.1.19) should be used. Manually configure these IP addresses in your Internet connection settings for your DNS servers.

I give this a go this evening....however the DNS for the other laptop is as per one of the previous threads
DNS Servers 85.91.1.128 85.91.1.130, and it works fine.....as again I am open to anything at this stage & I will give it a try.

Also as Clubman previously suggested I will call Magnet this evening

Called my provider,Magnet.

It seems to be a problem with the computer & the DNS server where the website addresses are changed or converted to a computer language that the DNS server recognises.

Does anyone know how to solve this one?

I have also tried the following commands:

ipconfig/release

ipconfig/flushdns

ipconfig/renew

ipconfig/registerdns

When I complete an ipconfig/registerdns command & go the 'Event viewer' in the 'Adminstrative tools' and go into 'System' I get the following DHCP warning , all in italics:

Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 0018DE4C60D9. The following error occured.

The semaphore timeout period has expired. Your computer will continue to try & obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

For more information see Help & Support Center at
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp

Can anyone shed some light on this one please. I feel light getting closer to the problem yet not solving it.:(

Hi,

Can you please post how you solved this problem? I have the same issue with my wireless router.

I released,flushed & renewed the DNS.

I also changed the settings at Network connections - Intenet Protocol - Advanced - Options - Properties, In here I ticked all boxes to Permit All ports

So I think it was a combination of both....perhaps someone else has a different opinion

hi,

i have had a similar experience up until last night,
spoke to my sister in norway who was able to talk me through all of the mentioned responses but still have the sam eproblems
what i have tried and is working for me is that if you log onto your laptop as a guest user,you will be able to access the internet this way,like i am doing now.
my other half decided to tell me that she had a message on her bebo site saying that someone had photos of her,she stupidly opened this message and now i am not sure if this has affected the computer.
i know that you have to log on to your laptop as a guest user to get on the internet and then log on as yourself to access your own desktop but at least you have access to the internet from your own laptop

Theres a whole load of things it could be. Hardware, software, AV. You really have to look at logically and elminate each one by one.

Flushing the dns seemed to do the trick.

Thanks for the help :D

Aiden,
As I mentioned on Post #34 on this thread back on the 8th , there is a nasty little virus going around (via BEBO) that can cause problems similar to what this thread starter is having and what you definitly are having.

If you go here [broken link removed] there are links to exactly how to get rid of this annoying virus .
Basically what it does is change your Internet Settings and Installs a mini proxy setting that loads up on every reboot (for specific usernames)

If you download freeware "malwarebytes Anti Malware" you should clean your system of this little annoyance and not have to log in as a different user.

Aiden,
As I mentioned on Post #34 on this thread back on the 8th , there is a nasty little virus going around (via BEBO) that can cause problems similar to what this thread starter is having and what you definitly are having.

If you go here [broken link removed] there are links to exactly how to get rid of this annoying virus .
Basically what it does is change your Internet Settings and Installs a mini proxy setting that loads up on every reboot (for specific usernames)

If you download freeware "malwarebytes Anti Malware" you should clean your system of this little annoyance and not have to log in as a different user.

Just to let you know...that in my case it was not a virus....I did however suspect it as I picked up a trojan before christmas which was acting as an anti-virus programme, similar logo to AVG, & I installed malwarebytes Anti Malware & it did do the tirck that time....However I ran the virus programme at an early stage this time round & it detected nothing.

Pope,

It sounds like it may have been that inicident that screwed up the network settings as they way you had to go into the advanced network settings (sounds pretty similar ) your registry could still have a change in place , I now have SPYBOT installed which basically sits in front of the registry and prompts you if there is any registry change atempts , it asks to accept or deny , this has saved me on many occasions even when everthing looked quite and no risks taken this would prompt me on a attack .

Its not 100% but I find it useful .

Sometimes its easier and more time effective to just go buy a cheap wifi card and at least eliminate that as a cause. Rather than spending hours and hours trying to trouble shoot like this. I said sometimes.

Again I seem to have problems with by internet not working, the browser page stalls or locks, with a blank sheet displayed.

I have tried to remove/flush/release DNS - Complete

I have also tried nslookup www.google.com - 100% works

I have tried ping www.google.com - 100% works

I have went into tools & checked to see if its offline.

The connection seems to be fine. Is it a problem with the browser?

I was able to log in this morning without altering anything, but when I logged in lastnight it did not work.

Please comment

You need to start from the basics. You've done so much messing I wouldn't know where to start. You should need to muck about with remove/flush/release DNS. You could have a random hardware fault on your WiFi card that makes it looks like all your fiddling is fixing things, when it actually isn't.

Is the problem only the WiFi connection or can you connected directly to the router using a cable.

Do you have a different WiFi card you can test in your laptop.

Back