Internet not working

try this : in Interner Explorer go to tools - options - connections -ensure ''never dial a connection is ticked '' and ensure your ISP provider details are entered correctly ..

or you can go to .....start- run- enter '' inetwiz ' and then follow the prompts

The 'never dialled a connection' is ticked .....where do i enter the ISP details.... is that to do with the IP address

What's the purpose of that? To connect to the router's web configuration page? If so then bear in mind that not all routers will use 192.168.1.245. Quite a few use 192.168.1.1 as their default address.

Hang on, hang on. Don't go booting other operating systems just yet. You said your connection was live and you were able to ping things. Do this:

ipconfig/all
How many adapters do you see now. You said you de-installed one earlier -- that was a mistake but not fatal. You should not expect to see two adapters connected.
The Ethernet Adapter/Local Area Connection should not be connected -- that's your ethernet card/port ... the RJ45 socket on the back of your laptop. Since you have nothing plugged into it, it is naturally not connected. Is that the one you deleted? Don't worry about it for the moment.

The other one is your Wireless Network Connection (which may also say Ethernet Adapter). You should see filled in values for IP Address, Subnet mask, Default Gateway (which will be the address of your router), DHCP Server (probably the same), and DNS servers.

Start by pinging the address of your default gateway, i.e. ping 87.198.24.1 or whatever the number is. If you get replies here you are connected wirelessly to your router. From what you said earlier, this is probably working. Check that it still is.

Now take the first DNS address that is listed. Ping that. That is set by your provider (Eircom) and will be the first "hop" outside your house. Do you get replies from that? If so you are definitely connected to the internet. If not, your problem is more local.

Lets assume you can ping your DNS. Now type this: nslookup www.google.com
If your DNS is responding you'll see something like this:
C:\>nslookup www.google.com
Server: somedns.eircom.net
Address: 172.16.164.xxx
Non-authoritative answer:
Name: www.l.google.com
Addresses: 74.125.77.104, 74.125.77.147, 74.125.77.99, 74.125.77.103
Aliases: www.google.com

If you get this far, take the first of those Addresses -- 77.125.77.104 above, and ping that. If you get reponses, your internet is 100% ok and the problem with your Browser connection is not your network. I think someone else already mentioned checking that you are set to *not* Work Offline.

If you are using Internet Explorer 6 or 7, go into the Tools menu, pick Options. Pick the Connections tab. Click the LAN Settings button at the bottom. What is the "automatically detect settings" checkbox set to? If it is off turn it on. Save your settings and quit Internet Explorer ( -- completely: make sure all windows are closed... it only detects settings on very initial startup). There may be a delay while the browser is starting up. When its responsive see if you can connect to Google.

Let me know how you get on.

Btw, you mentioned that other computers weere connecting successfully via this same router. So I wouldn't go mucking with your router configuration just yet. Unless you suddenly rememer that you configured MAC Address Security on it, or some such, and you have new laptop. For the moment, go with the instructions above.

ipconfig/all
How many adapters do you see now. You said you de-installed one earlier -- that was a mistake but not fatal. You should not expect to see two adapters connected.
The Ethernet Adapter/Local Area Connection should not be connected -- that's your ethernet card/port ... the RJ45 socket on the back of your laptop. Since you have nothing plugged into it, it is naturally not connected. Is that the one you deleted? Don't worry about it for the moment.

ipconfig
Windows IP Configuration
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
..........Media state.................................: Media disconnected
Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:
..........Connection specific DNS Suffix : magnet.ie
..........IP Address.............................:87.198.24.69
..........Subnet Mask..........................:255.255.252.0
..........Default Gateway.....................:87.198.24.1

The other one is your Wireless Network Connection (which may also say Ethernet Adapter). You should see filled in values for IP Address, Subnet mask, Default Gateway (which will be the address of your router), DHCP Server (probably the same), and DNS servers.

Did this already, also tried this leaving everything blank

Start by pinging the address of your default gateway, i.e. ping 87.198.24.1 or whatever the number is. If you get replies here you are connected wirelessly to your router. From what you said earlier, this is probably working. Check that it still is.

Ping 87.198.24.1
Pinging 87.198.24.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 87.198.24.1 : bytes = 32 time = 27ms TTL = 255
Reply from 87.198.24.1 : bytes = 32 time = 27ms TTL = 255
Reply from 87.198.24.1 : bytes = 32 time = 26ms TTL = 255
Reply from 87.198.24.1 : bytes = 32 time = 26ms TTL = 255
Ping statistics for 87.198.24.1:
........Packets : Sent = 4, Recieved = 4, Lost = 0 ( 0% lost)
........Approx round trip times in milli seconds
........Minimum = 26ms, maximum = 27ms, Average = 26ms

Now take the first DNS address that is listed. Ping that. That is set by your provider (Eircom) and will be the first "hop" outside your house. Do you get replies from that? If so you are definitely connected to the internet. If not, your problem is more local.

I do not understand this part...please explain

Lets assume you can ping your DNS.

As above, I have not tried this

Now type this: nslookup www.google.com
If your DNS is responding you'll see something like this:
C:\>nslookup www.google.com
Server: somedns.eircom.net
Address: 172.16.164.xxx
Non-authoritative answer:
Name: www.l.google.com
Addresses: 74.125.77.104, 74.125.77.147, 74.125.77.99, 74.125.77.103
Aliases: www.google.com

I have tried this anyway...here are the results

nslookup www.google.com
DNS request timed out
timeout was 2 seconds
*** can't find server name for address 85.91.1.128 : Time out
*** can't find server name for address 85.91.1.130 : Time out
***Default servers are not available
Server : Unknown
Address: 85.91.1.128
DNS request timed out
timeout was 2 seconds
***Request to unknown timed out

If you get this far, take the first of those Addresses -- 77.125.77.104 above, and ping that. If you get reponses, your internet is 100% ok and the problem with your Browser connection is not your network. I think someone else already mentioned checking that you are set to *not* Work Offline.

I have not got this far yet

If you are using Internet Explorer 6 or 7, go into the Tools menu, pick Options. Pick the Connections tab. Click the LAN Settings button at the bottom. What is the "automatically detect settings" checkbox set to? If it is off turn it on. Save your settings and quit Internet Explorer ( -- completely: make sure all windows are closed... it only detects settings on very initial startup). There may be a delay while the browser is starting up. When its responsive see if you can connect to Google.

Checked this & it is set to automatic...also inputted all the IP, Gateway address etc...still does not work.

Let me know how you get on.[/quote]

I also connected to the TOSHIBA connectivity doctor. It tells me the following:

IP: Ok
Default Gateway: Ok
IE's offline setting: -
Hosts File: Ok
DNS: Your DNS appears unable to resolve IP addresses
Proxy Server: Ok
Key Ports: Improper proxy or firewall settings......
Wireless: Ok

Anything from this?

Btw, you mentioned that other computers weere connecting successfully via this same router. So I wouldn't go mucking with your router configuration just yet. Unless you suddenly rememer that you configured MAC Address Security on it, or some such, and you have new laptop. For the moment, go with the instructions above.

Laptop is nearly 2 years old...i will hold off on the above for now

I also connected to the TOSHIBA connectivity doctor. It tells me the following:

IP: Ok
Default Gateway: Ok
IE's offline setting: -
Hosts File: Ok
DNS: Your DNS appears unable to resolve IP addresses
Proxy Server: Ok
Key Ports: Improper proxy or firewall settings......
Wireless: Ok

Anything from this?

This is exactly what is happening to my laptop when the above runs, see the 1st thread.

Is someone trying to logon using my wireless router. Note the internet is working fine on another persons laptop in the house.

Those setting under "Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection" are your current network settings. I can tell you that your laptop is not configured properly to talk to your wireless router because your default gateway is not a local address. (You ARE certain that you HAVE a wireless router and that your other machines aren't connecting to the next door neighbours or something??) Without getting into the boring details, the function of your router is to create a local network in which all address MUST start with either 10, 172, or 192 (these are the only subnets reserved for this purpose). In fact, your laptop is configured to talk directly to magnet's network (which you can tell from your DNS suffix and also I can ping your default gateway of 87.198.24.69 from here so it certainly isn't in your house --in fact it translates via a DNS lookup as 87-198-24-1.ptr.magnet.ie). This should be ringing some bells with you. Is magnet your provider? Or have you been connecting with your laptop from somethere else where you or someone else set up different settings?

I think we can solve this problem, although I have no idea why your laptop is set up this way, so follow these steps at your own risk. First, as a sanity check, lets confirm that your other PCs/laptops are set up more "normally". Go to one of those other machines that is currently working wirelessly. Run a command prompt and do an ipconfig/all. What is the IP address of the default gateway in use there? (This is just to confirm that neither of us is imagining things. There is no way that all of your PCs/laptops can be working with the same settings as the ones you just reported). If you see (as I suspect you will -- but if not DO NOT CONTINUE) that the gateway in use there starts with 192.xxx.xxx.xxx or 172.xxx.xxx.xxx, then do the following:

Go to your Control Panel on the laptop. Open your Network Connections. Right-click on Wireless Network Connection. It will bring up a menu. Select Properties. This will bring up a window with a list of network items. Click and highlight the one that says Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). Just highlight it -- DO NOT UNCHECK THE CHECKBOX. Press the Properties button.

Another window comes up. There are two radio buttons. One says "Obtain an IP Address automatically". The other says "Use the following IP address". I suspect that you have the latter one selected and you will probably see all your Magnet settings in there too. Select the first radio button instead -- the "obtain automatically one". Hit OK on this and the previous window.

Now go back to a command prompt. Type each of the following in turn:

ipconfig/release
ipconfig/renew
ipconfig/all

... and tell me what you see then. Ideally everything will be working now.

Check 1 thing for me , goto .

Tools/Internet Options/Connections ..highlight your Internet connection .

then ...SETTINGS .

Question: Is "Use a Proxy Server for this connection" checked ?

Mixednuts -- I think his problem is more fundamental ... he claims to be using a router but he's got a fixed IP!

Dub,
I hear what your saying , seems weird that a fixed I.P entered yet he would not know how to do this himself ?
The reason I asked for the above was there recently was a BEBO virus that messed up Internet Explorer settings and installed a miniproxy setting on ever reboot , even if he does use DNS this setting will still disrupt his browsing .

Is he a BEBO user ?? probably not but no harm in checking .

Those setting under "Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection" are your current network settings. I can tell you that your laptop is not configured properly to talk to your wireless router because your default gateway is not a local address. (You ARE certain that you HAVE a wireless router and that your other machines aren't connecting to the next door neighbours or something??) Without getting into the boring details, the function of your router is to create a local network in which all address MUST start with either 10, 172, or 192 (these are the only subnets reserved for this purpose). In fact, your laptop is configured to talk directly to magnet's network (which you can tell from your DNS suffix and also I can ping your default gateway of 87.198.24.69 from here so it certainly isn't in your house --in fact it translates via a DNS lookup as 87-198-24-1.ptr.magnet.ie). This should be ringing some bells with you. Is magnet your provider? Or have you been connecting with your laptop from somethere else where you or someone else set up different settings?

I think we can solve this problem, although I have no idea why your laptop is set up this way, so follow these steps at your own risk. First, as a sanity check, lets confirm that your other PCs/laptops are set up more "normally". Go to one of those other machines that is currently working wirelessly. Run a command prompt and do an ipconfig/all. What is the IP address of the default gateway in use there? (This is just to confirm that neither of us is imagining things. There is no way that all of your PCs/laptops can be working with the same settings as the ones you just reported). If you see (as I suspect you will -- but if not DO NOT CONTINUE) that the gateway in use there starts with 192.xxx.xxx.xxx or 172.xxx.xxx.xxx, then do the following:

Go to your Control Panel on the laptop. Open your Network Connections. Right-click on Wireless Network Connection. It will bring up a menu. Select Properties. This will bring up a window with a list of network items. Click and highlight the one that says Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). Just highlight it -- DO NOT UNCHECK THE CHECKBOX. Press the Properties button.

Another window comes up. There are two radio buttons. One says "Obtain an IP Address automatically". The other says "Use the following IP address". I suspect that you have the latter one selected and you will probably see all your Magnet settings in there too. Select the first radio button instead -- the "obtain automatically one". Hit OK on this and the previous window.

ipconfig/release
ipconfig/renew
ipconfig/all

... and tell me what you see then. Ideally everything will be working now.

Can you tell me where is the 'RUN' box on windows VISTA....i only have XP

Those setting under "Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection" are your current network settings. I can tell you that your laptop is not configured properly to talk to your wireless router because your default gateway is not a local address.
It works on the other 2 laptops...perfectly?

(You ARE certain that you HAVE a wireless router and that your other machines aren't connecting to the next door neighbours or something??)
Yes....its wireless.....how can i check that it is not connecting to next doors internet

Without getting into the boring details, the function of your router is to create a local network in which all address MUST start with either 10, 172, or 192 (these are the only subnets reserved for this purpose). In fact, your laptop is configured to talk directly to magnet's network (which you can tell from your DNS suffix and also I can ping your default gateway of 87.198.24.69 from here so it certainly isn't in your house --in fact it translates via a DNS lookup as 87-198-24-1.ptr.magnet.ie). This should be ringing some bells with you.
I am computer iliterate...unfortunately

Is magnet your provider?
Yes

Or have you been conneIcting with your laptop from somethere else where you or someone else set up different settings?
No

I think we can solve this problem, although I have no idea why your laptop is set up this way, so follow these steps at your own risk. First, as a sanity check, lets confirm that your other PCs/laptops are set up more "normally". Go to one of those other machines that is currently working wirelessly. Run a command prompt and do an ipconfig/all.
Yes...I have checked this on 2 other laptops...the default gateway & subnet mask digits are as per my laptop....the 1st 3 digits of the IP address are the same....& the last digit is different in all laptops.

What is the IP address of the default gateway in use there?

(This is just to confirm that neither of us is imagining things. There is no way that all of your PCs/laptops can be working with the same settings as the ones you just reported).
All have the same settings as outlined above except for the IP address last digit

If you see (as I suspect you will -- but if not DO NOT CONTINUE) that the gateway in use there starts with 192.xxx.xxx.xxx or 172.xxx.xxx.xxx, then do the following:
Unfortunately the gateway starts with 87 on all 3 laptops

I have already set this to "obtain automatically one" previously

ipconfig/release
ipconfig/renew
ipconfig/all

... and tell me what you see then. Ideally everything will be working now.[/quote]

Ok. So all your machines (including the laptop) are set to "obtain IP address automatically"... is that correct?

Are they also set (on the same window) to "obtain DNS server address automatically". Check on the laptop and the other machines -- are the settings the same?

What is the equipment you use to connect to the line coming into the house? It sounds like an access point rather than a router. Magnet is a fibre connection, right?

Back