Internet not working

Pope John 11

Recently my internet disconnected due to a problem with my internet provider. However I have been told that it now works.....(at the moment I am using someones laptop in the same house)....so it is working.

The problem is its not working from my laptop. When I click into network connections I get the following:

1394 Connection - Connected
Local Area Connection - Network cable unplugged
Wireless Network Connection - Connected

I have tried to IPCONFIG/ALL through the CMD box. Can someone guide me in the right direction on this one please.

I am assuming from the details above that you have a wireless router ( if not, this doesn't apply).
Either your network settings were reset when you were trouble shooting the original problem, or your laptop is trying to connect via a neighbours router.

In network connections , right click on 'Wireless Network connection'
Select 'View available networks'

Can you see your router there?

If it is connected to a neighbours router just select your own router.

If you can see it connected to you own router, they the problem is probably that the security settings have being reset on the router and your laptop is still trying to connect through a secure setting.

Yes, I tried the steps as per the previous post...& it is a wireless network.

I see my broadband provider & I have tried to reconnect to it.

But I cannot still connect to the web...

Are there any steps I should take in trying to disconnect & then reconnecting to the provider?

Is it wireless broadband to the house or is it wired to the house and then WiFi after that?

If your're using WiFi, the network name is not necessarily the name of the boradband provider. Check and see what's being used by the computer that does work.

There's also a WPA password that you would have set when configuring the WiFi router.

Yes the main line coming into the house is rented from eircom.

The router is upstairs in the house.

All laptops connect to the web via wireless within the house.

Hope this explains it a bit better.

What now are the steps that i need to take to get my laptop back online.

open a dos prompt.
>start >run> cmd

run ipconfig (dont have to do /all)
do you get an ip which should be something 192.168.1.x? where x will be a number.

Have you tried disabling the wireless and connecting via CAT 5 cable directly into the router?

well! let me know more about this.

well do you make use of any wire less internet.
or by mistake you are in other person's wi-fi network.
how is your internet connection.
physical media or wire less?

What error messages are you seeing? Where exactly in the process does "connecting to the Internet" fail?

It sounds to me like you may be connected to the Internet, but you can't browse web pages. Is your internet browser set to Work Offline?

run ipconfig (dont have to do /all)
do you get an ip which should be something 192.168.1.x? where x will be a number.

Yes there is a No. at location x.

[/quote]
Have you tried disabling the wireless and connecting via CAT 5 cable directly into the router?[/quote]

No, I have not tried this.

What error messages are you seeing? Where exactly in the process does "connecting to the Internet" fail?

It sounds to me like you may be connected to the Internet, but you can't browse web pages. Is your internet browser set to Work Offline?

I think you are right on this one, Mugsgame.

The internet page states that it is offline. How do I get this back online.

Sorry guys....computer ilterate really :(

***Run ipconfig:
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Media State ................................Media disconnected
Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix
IP Address ..................................87.198.24.xxx
Subnet Mask ...............................255.255.yyy.0
Default Gateway ..........................87.198.24.z
where x,y,z are numbers

***Opening the internet displays the following:
Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
Most likely causes: You are not connected to the Internet.
The website is encountering problems.
There might be a typing error in the address.
What you can try:
Diagnose Connection Problems
More Information
This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:
Internet connectivity has been lost.
The website is temporarily unavailable.
The DNS is not reachable.
The DNS does not have a sting for the websites domain.
If this is an HTTPS (secure) address,click Tools, click
Internet Options, click Advanced,& check to be sure the SSL
& TLS protocols are enabled under the security section.

Any ideas......

Tried to ping & it seems to work fine (as in 4 items sent & 4 recieved with 0 loss) is this okay?

There are 2 adaptors on the notebook:

When I run IPCONFIG, one adaptor is working however the 2nd one has failed.

When I open up device manager it tells me both are working fine.

Should I uninstall the failed 2nd adaptor & restart the notebook to reinstall it?

The 2nd adaptor relates only to the LAN (local area network) only.....however my 1st thread as it states that the wireless internet is connected.

Confused:confused: or do I have a virus:(

Yesterday I deleted the LAN adapter....however the Internet is still not working.....what else could be causing this?

Its not a problem with the provider as the Internet works for another notebook in the house.

Am restricted to using the net only in the daytime...& its really annoying...

Confused:confused: or do I have a virus:(
To rule out hardware problems try booting off a live CD OS installation (e.g. Ubuntu or similar). If you can access the network/internet there then at least you know it's a Windows issue (e.g. driver etc.).

I have found the product....but I will have it downloaded from work tomorrow....it is quite large to download....

Has anyone any other ideas

Ubuntu is c. 700MB. There are much smaller live CD Linux distributions. See www.distrowatch.com. Something like DSL (Damn Small Linux) might suffice for this sort of test. Remember to burn ISO images as an image and not as a file to a CD-R[W] and, if necessary, configure your PC's BIOS to allow booting from CD.

Back