Key Post I got cash back three times in 6 months

Discussion in 'The Switchers' Forum' started by Sean Og, 31 Jan 2019.

  1. renter45

    renter45 Frequent Poster

    Posts:
    86
    My 1 yr fixed finishes June '19 €285k @ 3% and was quoted €107 break fee (only 3 mths left)
     
    Sean Og likes this.
  2. lotus17

    lotus17 Registered User

    Posts:
    19
    Following negotiation, the solicitor has agreed to complete the first switch for €1500 and each subsequent change for €500. Thus, if I manage to make all four switches work, the solicitors fees will come to €3000. Not bad considering he was initially quoting €1500 per switch. Its worthwhile questioning these things!
     
    Coldwarrior, Sean Og and HollowKnight like this.
  3. HollowKnight

    HollowKnight Frequent Poster

    Posts:
    80
  4. Sean Og

    Sean Og Frequent Poster

    Posts:
    113
    Brilliant is right, well done for asking and negotiating a better price. Makes it all the sweeter when you get a good deal like that. Keep us informed how you get on. Hopefully plain sailing from now on.
     
  5. misterk

    misterk Registered User

    Posts:
    30
    Presume that is 500 plus costs?
     
  6. lotus17

    lotus17 Registered User

    Posts:
    19
    €500 "all in for each additional switch" is what the solicitors email reads.
     
  7. Sean Og

    Sean Og Frequent Poster

    Posts:
    113
    There are no extra costs involved like registering the deeds or searches etc, all the solicitor is doing is asking Bank A for a redemption figure and sending it off to Bank A because he has drawn down the new mortgage from Bank B. I know there is undertaking etc but very straight forward for a good solicitor.
     
  8. username123

    username123 Frequent Poster

    Posts:
    1,340
    Still waiting for Ulster bank to give me approval, 5 weeks later. Don't want to email solicitor to kick start first switch until this arrives, very annoying....
     
  9. misterk

    misterk Registered User

    Posts:
    30
    Step 1 complete

    PTSB ---> BOI ---> EBS ---> AIB ---> Fix with UB
     
    Sean Og and Coldwarrior like this.
  10. Sean Og

    Sean Og Frequent Poster

    Posts:
    113
    Well done, are you going to wait until you receive the cash back or are you going to switch next week ;)?
     
  11. lotus17

    lotus17 Registered User

    Posts:
    19
    I am still waiting for approval to come through from each of the banks.

    In the mean time, I am lining up other things to save time with the switches when it comes to them. I have asked the solicitor to apply to draw down the deeds as I have heard this can delay things sometimes. This is in process.

    I also contacted Irish Life who I have my mortgage Insurance to see if I can keep the Mortgage Protection Insurance plan when I switch banks. The response from irish Life is that I can't as I have a block plan and it cant be transferred. I will have to start again with a mortgage Insurance plan. Will I have to get a new plan every time I switch or is it possible to start arranging some type of plan that could transfer with my mortgage as I hopefully make my switches from EBS to PTSB to BOI to KBC to UB?
    What do I need to have lined up to be able to set up a mortgage Insurance plan in a timely fashion?
    Is there anything else I can be doing while waiting for switcher approvals to come through?
     
  12. renter45

    renter45 Frequent Poster

    Posts:
    86
    Just the house insurance, I had to increase my rebuilding costs last year after the valuation then get letter of indemnity.
     
  13. username123

    username123 Frequent Poster

    Posts:
    1,340
    My God, Ulster Bank are so slow. Their underwriters have finally approved the mortgage, but now I am waiting for their valuation team to contact me, since Tuesday morning, to do the valuation before they will issue the Offer Letter. It was much easier to organise the valuation myself. At this stage, I'd nearly offer to pay for it myself as well if I could just set it up myself, today. They are horribly inefficient all round so far.

    In the meantime, since I know the underwriters have approved it, and the LTV is easily within the required range, should I ask my solicitor to start the legal process for first switch to BOI? What is he actually going to do if I say that - will he ask for the title deeds from my current lender as step 1? I assume Ulster won't be able to see anything changing while drawing up the Offer Letter until I actually draw down the first switch (since the underwriting people are finished)? I am just trying to get something going while waiting on Ulster bank valuation or should I just wait until I have the Ulster Offer Letter in hand..........thoughts? Hmmm seems @lotus17 did something similar with solicitor above....

    I guess the question is does starting the legal process of a switch register anywhere until its finally completed?
     
  14. RedOnion

    RedOnion Frequent Poster

    Posts:
    2,574
    No.
     
  15. Coldwarrior

    Coldwarrior Frequent Poster

    Posts:
    88
    +1 on UB being very slow, definitely get your solicitor to call in the deeds from your existing bank though as it usually takes weeks for banks to release the deeds.