Herberton Apts, Dublin 8, Bad area?

P

Padruigin

Hi there,

Im viewing an apartment at Herberton D8, this is the new development on the site of Fatima Mansions. Is this a bad area to live? Does anyone know if the residents of Fatima Mansions are rehoused in this development?
Thanks!

My understanding is that the residents are being housed in the same area. I think this was one of the agreeemnts reached before the redevelopment began.
Having said that I think there is also a private sector residential mix within the same area as the old flats

I've lived in the vicinity for the past few years (and get the luas from the stop right outside every day), and wouldn't say it's a bad area. You'll have the usual bit of messing from kids every now and then, but it's all pretty harmless. I've never felt particularly unsafe walking around the area at night or anything. I wouldn't say it's any more safe or unsafe than most other places that are within the 'city centre' catchment.

I live round the corner and get the Fatima Luas stop all the time. I would second jhn's opinion.

I have lived in this area for 8 years and have recently bought an apartment in the same development. I love the area, have never felt unsafe and really can't imagine myself living anywhere else. I think at this stage you will have to drag me kicking and screaming from the area!

My understanding is that the residents are being housed in the same area. I think this was one of the agreeemnts reached before the redevelopment began.

Fatima Massions/Herberton redevelopment is a Public Private Partnership whereby the council supplies a site (in this case the old Fatima Mansions) and the developer does the building. They then split the ownership of the apartments between them.

The theory is that both benefit. The council by getting new modern accommodation for its tenants and the developer makes a profit from selling its share of the apartments.

This website gives the mix of housing being provided:

[broken link removed]

again am biased as l live few mins walk away on Marrowbone Lane but really enjoy living in the area. i've never been aware of any trouble. as the area is part of old Dublin, the area actually has a soul - something badly/sadly missing from so many newly built up area.

Hi all,

I've just bought a two bed in Herberton too and am well excited. From any visit I've had to the area, both during the day and at night, it seems quite fine. I dont plan to be walking the streets late at night on my own or anything though. But with the luas stop directly outside the apartment blocks!! And price wise, there definitely seems to be plenty of value to be had :)

We were thinking of putting a deposit down on a 2 bed in block B not facing the luas line... again there's not much info on the internet and I've lived in Kilmainham all my life. I've never walked through fatima and wonder if the area would be ok.

When will the development be finished and has anyone moved in yet? We viewd show apartment just thursday night and wanted to put our deposit down straight away. I believe now that the bars and restaurants advertised for the development won't go ahead and the units will be retail only. Estate agents told us this yesterday.

I was looking at this place last year. What are the 2008 prices for the 2-beds like at the moment does anyone know?

355K for 2 bed with car parking space! But they are able to knock it down a bit... dunno if anyone else heard about it though

Thanks for the info Lindsey! Wow, they were about 375 last year, seems to be a general 30k drop on the place. Has anyone who bought last year been offered the lower price now?

355K for 2 bed with car parking space! But they are able to knock it down a bit... dunno if anyone else heard about it though

Hi I ve been looking at buying a 2 bed in the A block and Ive been told that they are arround 355k excluding parking (extra 20K). have you managed to get a better price out of them and if so whats your magic trick?

Hi Aoife, we did manage to knock a bit off the price. It was the estate agent who offered - we played a bit hard to get on the price and she said she'd see what she could do. We didn't tell her what we could afford or anything. Was wondering if we were in fact getting a good deal or if they'd hiked the prices to swindle us. anyway friend of ours tried calling them to do the same and they wouldn't shift on the prices. We literally only got a few bob knocked off so nothing to worry about.

Has anyone any realistic time frames on when we could be moving in. The estate agents say early June - but we've not even been asked to snag!!

Has anyone any realistic time frames on when we could be moving in. The estate agents say early June - but we've not even been asked to snag!!

Lindsay-

I bought one of the one-bed duplexes in block B about three months ago and have been eagerly awaiting a call for snagging since then.

I've made enquiries via some contacts and a more realistic move-in date seems to mid-to-late June. They're still to schedule, but this date depends on the completion of the individual snags for each apartment.

I hope it isn't any longer than the end of June as this is when the lease is up in our current apartment!

G.

Hi guys,
I heard there was good value going here on 2 beds, anyone know what they are currently looking for on 2 bed without parking?

The most they're committing to for snagging dates at the moment is 'in the next 4 weeks'. A little while ago, I asked the reason for the delays (snagging supposed to start in March/April) and they said it was the state of the 2 internal roads where they're still building... and nothing's changed with those roads.

So if it's 4 weeks til the snagging letters go out, then that's the end of June already. Then there's the time for them to complete the snags. I'd say you'd be looking at July at _least_.

Back