Harry and Meghan

Looks like no return for harry to the royal family after this he must be really stupid, why burn all his bridges now. Yes they have got alot of money for this but they can only do something like this once. By revealing so much they have already shot their bolt and are fast on their way from A to Z list celebrities. I doubt archie or his new sister will be too happy that the silver spoon has been whipped from their mouths by their parents. Also the UK tabloids are now enemies aswell whereas back in the day they were firmly in Di's pocket, that's also significant

Last edited:
Apparently they didn't get paid for the interview.
I read that their "brand" could be worth a billion dollars. This is probably part of the positioning to create the brand.

Apparently they didn't get paid for the interview.
I read that their "brand" could be worth a billion dollars. This is probably part of the positioning to create the brand.
"harry & meghan " sports wear
"harry and meghan" cook wear
or maybe a TV series "at home with meghan and Harry "
or "ten years later " meghan and Harry reveal all about their lives as ex royals and their estrangement from the family.

Last edited:
Harry to feature in a Bear Grylls type survival series?
Cameo appearance as a prince in one of those cheesy Christmas movies?
Action figure range with toy helicopter gunship?

When you hear of a new born baby the first thing you ask, if not already told, is "boy or girl?". Is that sexist? If the couple are mixed race the second thing you want to ask (but don't dare) is "what colour?". Is that racist?
I couldn't avoid seeing the clip on the news showing Oprah reaction when hearing about the colour question. I noticed a distinct but momentary delay and then a feigned shock as if the Queen herself had used the N word.

When you hear of a new born baby the first thing you ask, if not already told, is "boy or girl?". Is that sexist? If the couple are mixed race the second thing you want to ask (but don't dare) is "what colour?". Is that racist?
I couldn't avoid seeing the clip on the news showing Oprah reaction when hearing about the colour question. I noticed a distinct but momentary delay and then a feigned shock as if the Queen herself had used the N word.

I'd say the Queen would be more concerned with the colour of the kid's hair.
" Good heavens Phillip, not another ruddy ginger in the family ".
Thankfully I didn't watch it.
Not the greatest fan of royalty.

I thought I heard that they got 6 million for the interview.
But like some other people I have no interest whatsoever in this tripe.

As always the Aussies nail it.

Nah I don't think he does. He's just another flag waving Royalist who doesn't realise they are no longer relevant. I think Patrick Freyne in the Irish Times did a much better job of nailing it.

Nah I don't think he does. He's just another flag waving Royalist who doesn't realise they are no longer relevant. I think Patrick Freyne in the Irish Times did a much better job of nailing it.

You're probably not aware that Alan Jones is a former coach of the Australian rugby team.
Not just " another flag waving Royalist ".
I'm no fan of the Royal Family myself but I do know they're going to be around long after Markle has ditched Ginger and taken him to the cleaners.
His brother, the future King, and his lovely wife are enormously popular in the UK.

I thought I heard that they got 6 million for the interview.
But like some other people I have no interest whatsoever in this tripe.

I hear it was 30 pieces of silver - his price for being miffed at not being allowed to sell trinkets and tat bearing the Royal crest on the Shopping Channel.

You're probably not aware that Alan Jones is a former coach of the Australian rugby team.
Not just " another flag waving Royalist ".
I'm no fan of the Royal Family myself but I do know they're going to be around long after Markle has ditched Ginger and taken him to the cleaners.
His brother, the future King, and his lovely wife are enormously popular in the UK.
Who cares who Alan Jones is or what he was (not sure what your point is in pointing out his former job), he's another in a long line of fans of the Royal family who goes for the jugular with anyone who doesn't agree with his view. The whole concept of royal families belongs in fairy tales. Harry and Meghan (I noted your disrespectful references to them) are better off out of that whole charade. I wish them well.

Who cares who Alan Jones is or what he was (not sure what your point is in pointing out his former job), he's another in a long line of fans of the Royal family who goes for the jugular with anyone who doesn't agree with his view. The whole concept of royal families belongs in fairy tales. Harry and Meghan (I noted your disrespectful references to them) are better off out of that whole charade. I wish them well.

You seem confused.
In one sentence you dismiss the whole concept of royal families as belonging in fairy tales and in the next accuse me of being disrespectful towards them.
As I've mentioned on here upthread I'm no fan of the royal family but I recognise the fact that a great many people are.
Including here in Ireland if the big turnout of cheering crowds in Cork for the Queen's visit there was anything to go by.
Were they just flag-waving royalists too ?

Not confused at all. If you can't understand the difference between an institution and individuals then it is you who is confused.

Not confused at all. If you can't understand the difference between an institution and individuals then it is you who is confused.

I do.
I'm an equal opportunities disrespecter.
It's the sign of a healthy democracy.

The Patrick Freyne article is great stuff. The royal family is a joke, as is House of Lords and all that stuff (classism) that has poisoned England. On a human level though it was interesting. I aways thought Megan was the wrong woman for the job, never likely to be a Stepford Wife in the Kate mould. Queen/Palace have learned nothing since the Diana era, so fair play to Harry for not going for the stiff upper lip - just hope herself doesn't leave him high and dry. Thought they could've left out the racist bit - they must've known that was "burying" the monarchy - fair enough they should be buried but you could let them die of natural causes..... Twill be hard for Harry to turn up at the funerals in the next few years. It would be fitting if the whole circus ended after current queen - that Charles has no great redeeming features.

The royal family is a joke, as is House of Lords and all that stuff (classism) that has poisoned England.
The Royal Family and the House of Lords represent the entire UK not just England.
That's how easy it is to fall into sloppy anglophobia.
And I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed.The Royal Family is enormously popular and will be here for a very long time.

The Royal Family and the House of Lords represent the entire UK not just England.
That's how easy it is to fall into sloppy anglophobia.
And I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed.The Royal Family is enormously popular and will be here for a very long time.
You're after shortchanging her the entire commonwealth...... Yes she has unionist fans in NI & Scotland (dunno re Wales), but there's about 50% of NI that bears no allegiance, Scotland is dominated by SNP seeking independence and, no doubt, a republic in due course. Only in England does the Tory Party, the epitome of classism, command major support (in Wales its 14/40, Scotland 6/59, NI 0/18), so I don't think it's outrageous to say its is rather an English affair. My disappointment is not so much that the Royal family may last a very long time but, to quote Patrick Freyne, "They serve entirely to enshrine classism in the British nonconstitution."

You're after shortchanging her the entire commonwealth...... Yes she has unionist fans in NI & Scotland (dunno re Wales), but there's about 50% of NI that bears no allegiance, Scotland is dominated by SNP seeking independence and, no doubt, a republic in due course. Only in England does the Tory Party, the epitome of classism, command major support (in Wales its 14/40, Scotland 6/59, NI 0/18), so I don't think it's outrageous to say its is rather an English affair. My disappointment is not so much that the Royal family may last a very long time but, to quote Patrick Freyne, "They serve entirely to enshrine classism in the British nonconstitution."

Actually more people in Scotland voted for Brexit than voted for the SNP at the last election so not sure how the SNP's intention to join the EU in the event of independence will work out in any new referendum.Hardly dominating.
And opinion polls have shown a fall in support for independence after Sturgeon's recent lamentable performance in the Salmond affair.
Wales, of course, voted to Leave the EU as well.
Overall, pollng generally finds around two-thirds of Britons are monarchists ( I'm not one of them by the way ) and anti-Royalists are in a clear minority.
You'd be very much mistaken if you thought this latest incident will have any bearing on the popularity of the Royal Family, quite the opposite in fact.
As for the Tories and the class system it's really rather multi-class and multi-cultural these days. The Chancellor is a Hindu, son of a GP. The Home Secretary another Hindu whose parents were newsagents, the Foreign Secretary a Jew whose father was a food manager for Marks and Spencer, the Health Secretary comes from a family who made their money in computer software and the minister in charge of Britain's Covid Vaccine programme is a Kurd whose family fled Sadam Hussein's Iraq.
Not exactly what you'd call a bunch of Tory toffs now is it ?

The SNP have 47 out of 59 MPs, that's kinda dominant (barely shy of 80%). Scotland voted 62% remain, highest within the UK. The real questions are A) will there be a 2nd referendum & B) if there is will it carry. The May election outcome should be a decent indicator as to whether the Salmond inquiry is a 9 day wonder or something more longlasting. Re-joining the EU is a no brainer if the independence vote is won, Ireland is the poster boy in that respect. That's the interesting story in the UK, the Saxe Coburgs are just for giggles, Wales still fairly 'within the camp' notwithstanding recent Drakeford comments - you'd need to see ballot box outcomes before any serious interest there.

Good that the Tories have some ethnic diversity, bad that it includes Priti Patel :oops:

Back