Ulster Former First Active now Ulster Bank Customer

As referenced by @SaySomething I had new evidence come to light and was told by the Ombudsman himself they can't readjudicate. Also out of date for an appeal to the high court. The advice was to wait for the redress/a decision regarding tracker and rate and then if unhappy with those decisions that could be taken again as a new case as it were separately and that could then be adjudicated on the basis of if the bank made the right decisions in the light of the tracker review

I received a phone call yesterday to say they are working on my calculations and should have the chq by August. Originally got a letter last June 17 to advise we where impacted.

Former first active customer who has posted for years on this site and pursued my case with the Bank, took a case to FSO and have corresponded several times with central bank.
UPDATE. Finally..... Today I received a letter from UB stating that I have been impacted and I ‘did not have the benefit of the correct tracker interest rate and you are now due redress and compensation’. Token apology included.
Nothing else in terms of level of Comp, what tracker interest rate, etc.
I am long enough invested and suffering from this process to take nothing from that Bank at face value. I await further detail but my skepticism remains high around whether the Bank will be fair. Or will they simply employ another tactic.
Thanks to all for postings and Brendan for providing the platform over many years. I will update as I know more.
My message to others remains the same. Keep going if you truly believe you are in the right. It has taken me the best part of ten years to get to this stage. One really needs to be motivated and to feel seriously aggrieved to keep going in a case like this. Hundreds of hours of work, sleepless nights, frustration. I had to restructure my arrangements with the Bank because of the loss of the tracker. I could go on........

Last edited:
I received the final letter yesterday and check if I still have something to sign and send it back or it is the end

Are many people still waiting to hear if they are impacted? former FA customer waiting nearly 3 years now to hear. Rang them a few weeks ago, no help whatsoever. Only got a 60 day letter the other week. Can it just conclude with nothing?

I got a letter last week saying our account / sub account has been deemed impacted and we are due redress and compensation. We didn't realise we were been consisered for this as we were never on a tracker. Any ideas wat next step is or how long will we be waiting?

i have been talking them for long ...after that i asked them provide all my documents with a fees. they send me all documents and after few month they send me a letter saying that i am impacted and will be redressed. After that they send me a letter saying that they adusjested my variable to tracker (0.95+ ECB and i was paying them 4.3%). it was really a relief for me. No i am waiting for my redress and compensation package. i dont know how long it will take.

Congrats rpm great news, can I ask wat year you took out ur mortgage, I took out mine July 2008 5 year fixed 6.25% broke out of that in mid 2009 as variable rate dropped, would anyone know what the first active/ulster bank tracker rate was those yers. I have been put on to tracker 2.15 + Ecb does this seem high ? Should I query this?

Hi all,
Fairly new to this process. Took out a First Active mortgage in 2005. Was on a discount variable rate for the first year and then a mix of SVR and fixed since then. Had a few years after I lost my job and went back to college to retrain where I had missed payments and arrears etc. and ended up extending the duration of my mortgage by 5 years.
Got letter from Ulster Bank early August saying I had been impacted and had been on an incorrect rate for a period of time.
I was never on a tracker. I rang the bank and asked them to send me statements which arrived on Friday (just got them this evening). They've only sent me from 2012 - 2018. In Sept 2015 I fixed for 3 years so my last fixed rate payment went out at the end of August. I see on the top of my statements that my current interest rate as of 4th September 2018 is now ECBR +1.1% (so 1.1%).

I have so many questions about this but I suppose the main ones are....
Should I have been offered the tracker after the 1 year discount variable rate back in 2006? Is that where this is stemming from?
And if so and I have been overpaying for 12 years and had to extend the term of my mortgage because I couldn't afford the repayments at the time will that be taken into consideration and my mortgage returned to the original term? I'm so angry now that it's started to sink in. I have been overpaying by hundreds a month for years. When I think of the stress I went through where even an extra tenner a month would have made all the difference!

Also in terms of the impact on credit rating etc, mine has gone down the toilet all as a direct consequence of this. Will that be corrected?

And finally - I got notification of a registered letter on Friday - is that how people were notified of the outcome?

Good morning

Iv just woke up and checked my mortgage account, there is a deposit of 13150 and then a withdrawal of 8738. I can’t believe there’s any movement as I’d actually given up!
I’ve no idea what these figures mean but at this stage I don’t even care .... the ordeal is over. I’m actually crying with relief.
I really want to say a big thank you to everyone on here that has supported and answered my questions over the last year.
But most of all thank you to the guys who fought for us behind the scenes to get what was wrongfully taken from us in the first place.

Hi deenie,
Have you heard anymore back, do u mind me asking what tracker rate u we're put back on to and mortgage size / rate u had, suspense is killing me wondering how much we are due back? ,

Hi all,

Ulster bank finally rang me during the week after nearly 3 years but only to confirm my address they would not give me any further information, did anyone else get a call like this? It seems I am one of the last to find out whether my FA mortgage has been impacted but I have the same wording as others on here that got their trackers back.

Has anyone had anything further? I was contacted in June and told I was impacted, but not received any adjustments to account, no letters about my rate or redress and compensation. My sister and brother neither of whom lost their trackers both received letters in the last 2 weeks advising they were on the wrong rate and it had been adjusted, told their new repayment rate and accounts adjusted. This is frustrating the life out of me....I was removed from tracker and had to surrender my home.... When will it end!

Was contacted in June after getting on to Oireachtas who passed on my details to UB. Call in June verbally confirmed I was impacted. Received impacted letter early August. Received another letter 21 August stating rate to be reverted back from 27 September. No indication of when redress/compensation due.

I got the call about the same time, then got the impacted letter in August, they had sent it to the wrong address so had to resend, but since then not a thing. This is very frustrating

Back