Favourite TV series

Ah! Those were the days where the taker of a corner kick was instructed by the centre forward to ensure the lace of the ball was goal side of his head when it arrived in the air for the header.

Ah! Those were the days where the taker of a corner kick was instructed by the centre forward to ensure the lace of the ball was goal side of his head when it arrived in the air for the header.
There does seem to be a clear link to dementia

It's funny to see the state of the pitches back in the 80s. I've seen better pitches for under 13s hurling today.

The weight of the ball was indeed an issue, with a fairly strong trend of players, including our Jack, getting dementia at relatively early ages - and the institutions that earned money from them doing feck all to support them.
Pitch, weight of the ball, old style black football boots that weighed a ton and you could tackle people. proper football as opposed to today's prima donnas who fall over if you say boo to them and complain about being tired if they play twice in a week, despite have all the S&C coaches, nutritionists, medical staff etc etc

God, I sound old.........

. . . and nothing like being slide tackled from behind where your ankles ached for a month after and of course no dive and no free either. The least you could expect from any defender was a body check which ensured a rib or two would be cracked, but no point in moaning, just carry on and body check the defender later.

I'd love to see some of the posters here playing back "in them days." Although lemon & orange boots, silky socks, flashy shorts and some advertisement for some kind of eau de Cologne written across your chest. No, I think I'll leave my imagination rest. But, their financial advice is always welcome.

Well we now know the Nom de Plum's of two of The Four Yorkshiremen. Thank you @Leper and @Peanuts20 ;)
I don't have a little black book though. I'm from Cork.

Incidentally, I loved Big Ben Hannigan. A great Dub (Shelbourne) with a great grá for Cork. His radio interviews were terrific - full of unintended wit and very entertaining. But, if you were slide tackled by Ben all you felt were eight studs on two ankles and the other eight studs on the shin (or what once was your shin). And on fulltime Ben would walk with you to the First Aid people with the broadest grin known to man.

Last edited:
Well we now know the Nom de Plum's of two of The Four Yorkshiremen. Thank you @Leper and @Peanuts20 ;)

Absolutely. When I were a lad, there was no fancy grand stands or take away coffees in Flower Lodge, you stood on the grass bank, watched men kick lumps out of each other and then went home happy. You ate your hang sangs in the square in Thurles, got lifted over the turnstiles and watched proper hurling without a short puck out or hand pass or helmet in sight. If you were lucky, your uncle stopped on the way home, went into a pub, had 4 pints and a whiskey chaser whilst you sat outside with a Club orange and a bag of King crisps and then he drove you home in the Cortina with no safety belts.

And you tell the young people that today, and they won't believe you :) :)

I don't have a little black book though. I'm from Cork.

Incidentally, I loved Big Ben Hannigan. A great Dub (Shelbourne) with a great grá for Cork. His radio interviews were terrific - full of unintended wit and very entertaining. But, if you were slide tackled by Ben all you felt were eight studs on two ankles and the other eight studs on the shin (or what once was your shin). And on fulltime Ben would walk with you to the First Aid people with the broadest grin known to man.
Ben Hannigan when signing with Shels told manager Gerry Doyle that he couldn't train on a Wednesday night as training clashed with the High Chapparal on TV .
One of the great legends of the League of Ireland which was blessed with characters at the time.

Ben Hannigan when signing with Shels told manager Gerry Doyle that he couldn't train on a Wednesday night as training clashed with the High Chapparal on TV .
One of the great legends of the League of Ireland which was blessed with characters at the time.
It's amazing how the concept of scheduled TV has totally gone out the window for the current generation. I remember being in tears at being hooshed out of the house to midnight mass when Queen's legendary 1975 Christmas Eve gig was on BBC2 live, as I reckoned I'd never get another chance to see it. And I was right for may 30 or 40 years until it reappeared. I remember knowing all the BBC and ITV newsreaders and all UK Ministers, because we watched the UK news as a family because there was nothing feckin else on.

It really is such a different world now, and we have to work hard to find something to watch as a family.

It really is such a different world now, and we have to work hard to find something to watch as a family.
I reckon the pair of us waste at least fifteen minutes to half an hour most nights now trying to find something both of us are in the mood for
And it probably just boils down to one simple fact, there's just too much choice now and our little brains can't handle it

Not an all time favourite - that would be the landmark The Civil War series by Ken Burns *

But worth a mention as it is currently airing on Discovery History - "Blood and Fury: America's Civil War".

This is an 'old school' narrative military history series, focuses on the key battles of the Civil War.

There's no aliens, or ghosts, or yetis or buried pirate treasure - if you scan the digital TV listings for channels with 'History' in the name, you'll get my drift :)

* A sure sign of quality in a documentary series is involvement by Ken Burns.
The West, Prohibition, Jazz, Hemmingway, Thomas Jefferson are also excellent.
The War (about WWII) is good, I didn't think it was up to the same level as the Civil War, but interesting as a exploration of how America viewed the war

Last edited:
Another one that I don't think has been mentioned before here is "Goliath" on Prime and I've just discovered that there is now a 4th season

The Widow , on Prime , I thought was very good although a bit gory in parts .

Vera is good if you want a straight forward detective series, box set up on Virgin. Also I have a soft spot for Death in paradise, maybe it is the time of year and the sunshine looks good

Back