Favourite TV series

I've no interest in Surfing but I found 100 Foot Wave riveting.
I'd presume a documentary on climbing wouldn't be top of many people's list but "Freesolo" is a definite must watch
What Alex Honnold has done is truly an astonishing achievement and still blows my mind when I think about it

I got bored with Ozark and peaky blinders after a while. Anyone know where you can watch box sets of old 80s programmes? I'd love a winters night of Cheers, Hill street blues or even Magnum or McGyver (proper versions, not the sappy remade versions)
Cheers and Frasier are shown on C4 in the mornings, and have played a fair role in keeping me sane through the pandemic. Would love to see Hill St or Murder One again.

I loved the first three series of Fargo, all exceptional quality TV, but the most recent one with Chris Rock left me cold.

Cheers and Frasier are shown on C4 in the mornings, and have played a fair role in keeping me sane through the pandemic. Would love to see Hill St or Murder One again.

I loved the first three series of Fargo, all exceptional quality TV, but the most recent one with Chris Rock left me cold.
Wings is from the same NBC comedy stable as Cheers and Frasier, it's not on the same level but if you need a 90s comedy fix it hits the spot.

And totally different style of comedy, Matt Berry (What We Do in the Shadows) does his OTT cartoonish (in a good way) schtick in Toast of Tinseltown on C4 at the moment.

I forgot to mention BBC4's The Detectorists. I didn't think much of it at the start but it just grew on me... Toby Jones & Mackenzie Crook are excellent, with a classic british comedy supporting cast of lovable losers.

Some of the recent comedies I've enjoyed the most have been BBC radio comedies, they are superior to and more inventive than 90% of TV comedt output:
Cabin Pressure starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Roger Allam and written by John Finnemore (probably the best radio comedy writer of recent time). Behind the scenes on a budget airline. I would put the 'Birling Day' episode up there with classic episodes of Only Fools or Minder.
Alone starring Angus Deayton and Abigail Cruttenden. Simple concept of 5 people sharing a building in London, added together they probably make one functional person.
Start / Stop starring Jack Docherty and Charlie Higson. Revolving around three couples, finding humour in the everyday daydreams of married couples.
Conversations from a Long Marriage starring Joanna Lumley and Roger Allam. A slice of life with the one of the most believable couples in fiction.

Cheers and Frasier are shown on C4 in the mornings, and have played a fair role in keeping me sane through the pandemic.
Two great comedies that I really enjoyed and still remember some great lines from, one of them in the first episode of Frasier
Fraiser and Niles are having a cup of coffee and trying to decide what to do with their farther
When Niles starts reading a brochure for a retirement home
"Golden Acres. We care, so you don't have to"

Two great comedies that I really enjoyed and still remember some great lines from, one of them in the first episode of Frasier
Fraiser and Niles are having a cup of coffee and trying to decide what to do with their farther
When Niles starts reading a brochure for a retirement home
"Golden Acres. We care, so you don't have to"
Ps

I made the mistake of watching Father Christmas is back as Kelsey Grammer was in it... alas he was too little in it to redeem it.

I do not like any American comedy at all , I much prefer English comedy.

I do not like any American comedy at all , I much prefer English comedy.
I like both don't really differentiate between the two, it's either funny or it's not (to my taste)
Speaking of English vs American, watched Jimmy Carr's "His Dark Material" a good laugh and I like that he's not afraid to go deep in to "Dark Comedy" but I've also just discovered Jim Gaffigan and am currently working through some of his stuff but what I like about him compared to Jimmy is that his comedy is good clean observational comedy of everyday life that kind of matches my own thinking

Operation Transformation - I haven't looked at previous series, but the current initial programme I have watched. I don't need to lose weight as I have lost 3.5 stone over the past 15 months by doing additional exercise (walking and swimming) and making obvious dietary changes. However, I am interested in learning ways to maintain my new weight with the least effort.

The series is homegrown and the pay off is advice on how to get or remain more healthy. OK! It's cheesy sometimes, but bottom line is that you can get some good and free advice about matters health. Don't knock it before using the advice given.

Last edited:
No . Or Friends or Cheers or Sex and the city either
I'd rather be forced to run naked through a field of nettles than watch Sex and the City but the others were funny.

I never liked Only Fools and Horses or Minder or Last of the Summer Wine or any of those depressing British comedy series.
So much older British comedy was so obvious that you could see the punchline a mile away or they were just racist/homophobic/xenophobic and just not funny.

You obviously haven't hear of Bill Burr if you are lumping him in with Cheers, Friends and Sex in the City.

Operation Transformation - I haven't looked at previous series, but the current initial programme I have watched. I don't need to lose weight as I have lost 3.5 stone over the past 15 months by doing additional exercise (walking and swimming) and making obvious dietary changes. However, I am interested in learning ways to maintain my new weight with the least effort.

The series is homegrown and the pay off is advice on how to get or remain more healthy. OK! It's cheesy sometimes, but bottom line is that you can get some good and free advice about matters health. Don't knock it before using the advice given.
Congrats on your own weight loss, but OT is fairly toxic, and is creating eating disorders. Have a look at;

https://twitter.com/IEEire and https://twitter.com/bodywhys for more details.

Congrats on your own weight loss, but OT is fairly toxic, and is creating eating disorders. Have a look at;

https://twitter.com/IEEire and https://twitter.com/bodywhys for more details.
Good observation RetirementPlan. I don't have the qualifications to agree or disagree, but I hear what you are saying. I'm not a guy who will "follow" any individual on the programme and I don't go in for too much mush (dreadful human interest waffle) either. But, most of the programme is informative and I take information from it that suits or educates me.

I have much sympathy on those who are overweight. It's something they usually don't want but haven't the wherewithal or whatever to battle it. The programme creates an awareness of many health issues and shows where assistance can be sourced and sometimes free of charge.

That's been strongly refuted by other medical sources, including people running eating disorder clinics.

I think that normalising being overweight and the associated health risks is more dangerous.
I'd love to see the refutation so. The alternative to OT isn't normalising being overweight.

The alternative is dealing with being overweight without parading people around in their underwear to add a tabloid humiliation factor to the show, with TV producers working hard to get the tears flowing, then leaving vulnerable participants without any aftercare or follow up once the show finishes,

I'd love to see the refutation so. The alternative to OT isn't normalising being overweight.

The alternative is dealing with being overweight without parading people around in their underwear to add a tabloid humiliation factor to the show, with TV producers working hard to get the tears flowing, then leaving vulnerable participants without any aftercare or follow up once the show finishes,
I've never watched the show but from what I hear they aren't parading them around in the lycra shorts any more.
RTE response to criticism here. Professor Donal O’ Shea, who runs an eating disorder clinic and is involved with the show, has been on the radio refuting the claims made against the show.

Don't look at Don't Look Up.
Anybody know how to watch "I'm alright Jack" with Peter Sellers, perhaps one of the best of the very good English comedies from Ealing Studios in the '50s/'60s.
Carry Ons are also good with all those single entendres.

I've never watched the show but from what I hear they aren't parading them around in the lycra shorts any more.
RTE response to criticism here. Professor Donal O’ Shea, who runs an eating disorder clinic and is involved with the show, has been on the radio refuting the claims made against the show.
This what they're up to - tabloid humiliation therapy of the worst kind;
20220110_131228.jpg20220110_130816 (1).jpg

Back