Favourite TV series

Logo

I subscribed to NowTV during December and watched some stuff but honestly failed to find a decent TV series to watch. Previously I really enjoyed Ozark, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, The Walking Dead etc. (but strangely not Game of Thrones). I planned to watch Mare of Easttown during Christmas but wasn't overly impressed by the spoilers provided by Gogglebox UK. I'm yet to be tempted to subscribe to Netflix as I reckon I would spend more time searching for a decent show rather than the enjoyment of watching it. Does anyone have a recommendation on decent watch? TIA

Of recent shows standouts are ...
Succession
Perry Mason
The Crown
Normal People
The Americans
Fargo (anthology series, each season has different cast and focus)

Comedy \ Dramedy:
Only Murders in the Building
Ted Lasso

Genre Series Scifi\Fantasy:
What we do in the Shadows
The Mandalorian
The Expanse

RTE series Kin had some powerful moments but like many recent series had a few too many episodes.

Disappointed with:
Wheel of Time

Last edited:
. Fargo was another of my favourites. Was going to start Succession but think it might involve too many mind games. I haven't heard of Perry Mason - except maybe the 1960s show but will google it. Haven't seen The Crown but think I've seen enough of royal documentaries and lived through Diana era. I honestly didn't like Normal People (maybe an age thing) and will put The Americans on my watch list. I will definitely check out your Comedy/ SciFi recommendations. Thanks.

I've also watched the first episode of Dopesick and hope to get back to it. I watched a few episodes of The wire and think it’s overrated when compared to The Sopranos – which is up there as one of my favourites. Thanks

I did watch Mr Inbetween over Christmas and was fairly impressed.

I'd second Succession. Very good
Watched Dopesick over Christmas. A hard watch but top tv.

The Wire still the standout series I've ever watched.
I forgot to mention Bosch, it's not on the same level as The Wire, but a lot of Wire cast members pop up. It's more like a cross between The Wire and Homidice Life on the Street.

The Perry Mason is a 'reimagining', it stars Matthew Rhys from The Americans. It's very different to the original whodunnit courtoom series, much darker, grittier, messy etc. It has more in common with the film Chinatown than the original series. It's like they took a Perry Mason plot and dropped it into the Chinatown universe of 1930s LA.

The early series of The Crown are best, set in the 1950s with Claire Foy, I wasn't as familiar with the events from that period.

Succession is a bit of an acquired taste.

Amazon Prime have some good stuff.
I loved The Marvellous Mrs. Maisel. Great screenplay, great acting and great comedy. I didn't think I'd like it but it's the best thing I've watched in ages.
The Boys is, by far, the best 'Super Hero' series ever made. Better than any Marvel movie (and I collected Marvel Comics as a kid). It's extremely dark and violent and definitely warrants its 18's certification but it's brilliant.

I can't watch any drama that RTE make. The screenplay always lets them down. Thy just can't write dialogue. I found Love/Hate impossible to watch for that reason and didn't even look at Kin.

I'm with @Delboy ref The Wire. Not the best series ever but superb.

Queens Gambit on Netflix was good, a bit different. I enjoy a good Vera and Death in paradise is back on Friday night for a bit of escapism. I watched some Yes Minister over the Christmas, a little dated in places but superb. RTE also had some excellent documentaries over the Christmas which are worth watching back, albeit on their useless Player.

Loved Ozark and I think I saw that there is a new series coming late January
Bosch is great mainly because I've read all the books and enjoy the character
Narcos is also a good watch as is Mindhunter if you haven't already watched them

The problem with me now, is that all my TV viewing is Netflix and Prime and it is nearly all binged watched to the extent that I've nearly forgotten what I watched last week and can't remember anything from six months ago :oops:

Loved Ozark and I think I saw that there is a new series coming late January
Bosch is great mainly because I've read all the books and enjoy the character
Narcos is also a good watch as is Mindhunter if you haven't already watched them

The problem with me now, is that all my TV viewing is Netflix and Prime and it is nearly all binged watched to the extent that I've nearly forgotten what I watched last week and can't remember anything from six months ago :oops:
I rate things on IMDB as I watch them, series and films - but not at episode level. Otherwise I'd forget. But when it's a long running series, it can be far down the list even though I'm watching it.

Not sure if it is still on Netflix but Unforgotten is very good, as is Happy Valley. Succession is next on my list, heard a lot of good reviews of it. Ozark is another. Mindhunter was good alright.
In terms of best ever, very hard to order them but The Wire was excellent alright, as was Breaking Bad (although it did kinda lose its way a bit for me). Possibly still my favourite is The West Wing (also quite enjoyed Newsroom). However I doubt I would go back and rewatch any of them (simply not enough hours in the day!) but one I may well revisit is The Sopranos, simply because I never really watched it end to end before.

Thanks for the recommendations. I've watched Olive Kitteridge, Peaky Blinders, The Handmaid's Tale and Mr Mercedes recently and was impressed by them. The Marvellous Mrs. Maisel, Succession, Bosch and Mindhunter are now on my list.

I got bored with Ozark and peaky blinders after a while. Anyone know where you can watch box sets of old 80s programmes? I'd love a winters night of Cheers, Hill street blues or even Magnum or McGyver (proper versions, not the sappy remade versions)

Thanks for the recommendations. I've watched Olive Kitteridge, Peaky Blinders, The Handmaid's Tale and Mr Mercedes recently and was impressed by them. The Marvellous Mrs. Maisel, Succession, Bosch and Mindhunter are now on my list.
Same here for Olive Kitteridge and The Handmaid's Tale (it turned me into a raging feminist and made be realise that all white heterosexual men are evil and weak and narcissistic :D ).

I got bored with Ozark and peaky blinders after a while. Anyone know where you can watch box sets of old 80s programmes? I'd love a winters night of Cheers, Hill street blues or even Magnum or McGyver (proper versions, not the sappy remade versions)
Magnum and McGyver haven't aged well.

The "Good wife" and the follow up the Good Fight are another two series I found enjoyable
One that surprised me and I didn't start watching it until last year is "Greys Anatomy" which has been going on since the beginning of time
I'm about half way through it (series 10) but I find it quite enjoyable for bubblegum TV and some of the actors are very easy on the eye which helps

Something I do while binge watching TV series is to mix it up with a bit of documentary binge watching and there are some really good ones

Cycling wise "Icarus" was one that had my jaw on the floor, I never expected it to end up where it did
"The Least Expected Day" was another for me, changed how I felt and thought about Valverde, he's an animal.

Others that I enjoyed were "Seaspiracy" and "Cowspiracy" which as a former meat processor opened my eyes as to where my meat came from
Something I never really thought about while working for the family business was how animals are reared/farmed for slaughter

And the list goes on, there's so many documentaries out there now that it shouldn't be hard to find a few that tweak your interests

Last edited:
Back