Example of Rip Off Republic

If you knew that you were getting still bottled water then why didn't you check the price list before ordering it?

You are missing the point. I asked for and was expecting bottled water and I didn't mind paying €2.50 for a bottle. I did mind paying €2.50 for a glass of water (smaller measure than usual bottle) that apparently came from a 1 litre bottle that I didn't see get opened or left on my table. If you went into a pub and asked for a bottle of coke, would you be happy if they came over over a poured you a glass from a 2 litre plastic bottle that could have been open for hours and then charged the same.

If you knew that you were getting still bottled water then why didn't you check the price list before ordering it?

I thought that terms like "fresh" and "pure" etc. were meaningless when it comes to labelling food products?

Clubman, i've copy & pasted from their website how they claim their products are made, not sure how you wouldnt be suprised if a juice bar is not preparing their product with fresh ingredients, also on their menu the Orange Juice is described as 'freshly squeeze OJ' hardly a meaningless description...

"Nutritious, fruity, delicious...from Mango Kiss to Berry Blast, the ********* Juice and Smoothie Bar offers over 50 of the freshest juices and the yummiest smoothies.

All are made to order using only the best quality and freshest natural ingredients. If you are low on energy or need a boost, check out our GI Friendly Range next time you're in ****"

My two young lads love "Match of the Day" and "Match" soccer weekly magazines.

Price (each) in local Spar: Euro 3.10
Price (each) in small family shop up the road from Spar: Euro 2.80

Sterling cover price: 1.60

Spar overcharging yet again, even compared to supposedly expensive local family-run shops.

On Thursday 4th Sept Aldi in the republic have a 32in LCD Television for sale at 480 Euro. On the same day in NI Aldi are selling the same television for 299 sterling.
According to XE today 299 sterling equates to 367 euro. Thats 113 euro difference.
Just thought I would let you all know

We have to pay the costs of a republic. Our taxes , high cost of living and lack of economy of scale means things are dearer. Our taoishock gets paid more that the p.m. of a large industrial country like Germany or the UK, who have say 20 times the population. Who pays for our president, all our foreign embassies, civil service etc ? a relatively small no. of peiople in the wealth creating sector.

As Gay Byrne used to say in the 80s "You wanted your independence. Now you have to pay for it"

I brought the monster to the cinema recently and after he had worked his way through all the rubbish I'd brought in under my coat for him he demanded popcorn. So I went out and asked for a small bag of popcorn. It was not much bigger than a bag of manhatton popcorn priced about 65cents and they wanted €4.80 for it.
I was so shocked at the scabbiness of the size of the bag and the price that I could not bring myself to pay for it so I gave it back and told them why.

Another example of a rip off republic

Kanye West concert.

Odyssey Arena Belfast €41/€47.50
The O2 London - €44
Metro Radio Arena Newcastle €40
NEC Birmingham €40
SECC Glasgow €40
MEN Manchester €40

RDS DUBLIN €65.70

Kanye West concert.

The O2 London - €44
NEC Birmingham €40
SECC Glasgow €40
MEN Manchester €40

RDS DUBLIN €65.70
Betcha there is no VAT on concert tickets in the UK.
Betcha planning permission & other costs are a lot lower as well.

This was on the Last Word a few months back, and a promoter was saying about how much more expensive it is to stage a concert in RoI compared to the UK (NI).

Apparently the insurance is one of the main differences. And licences too. Artists themselves don't get any more for playing RoI than NI, and the promoter isn't making more profit in RoI than NI, despite the price differences.

Kanye West concert.

The O2 London - €44
NEC Birmingham €40
SECC Glasgow €40
MEN Manchester €40

RDS DUBLIN €65.70

But surely being asked to pay anything at all to listen to Kanye West is a rip-off? :p

Kanye West concert.

The O2 London - €44
NEC Birmingham €40
SECC Glasgow €40
MEN Manchester €40

RDS DUBLIN €65.70

and most of those venues in the UK are modern arenas whereas the RDS is an awful place (IMO!)

Wedding dress in a local bridal shop today costs €1,700.00. The same dress in New York costs $975 = approx €701.00.

This was on the Last Word a few months back, and a promoter was saying about how much more expensive it is to stage a concert in RoI compared to the UK (NI).

Apparently the insurance is one of the main differences. And licences too. Artists themselves don't get any more for playing RoI than NI, and the promoter isn't making more profit in RoI than NI, despite the price differences.
I remember that on the Last Word. He said that insurance for Springsteen concerts in Manchester was £3000 for two nights whereas the RDS was €30'000 a night.

I remember that on the Last Word. He said that insurance for Springsteen concerts in Manchester was £3000 for two nights whereas the RDS was €30'000 a night.

Not disputing the above figures but its crazy to think such insurance costs in Ireland are 20 times that of the UK, however even with the above example an insurance bill 28,500 more than an equivilant concert in the UK would work out at about €2.85 more per ticket to be absorbed into the ticket cost (assuming 10,000 folk would go to a concert in the RDS...there's still a big gap between €67.50 and €40

Wedding dress in a local bridal shop today costs €1,700.00. The same dress in New York costs $975 = approx €701.00.

Someone posted a query on AAM a few months ago where they imported a wedding dress from NY, and got caught for the VAT and duty in Ireland. They said that once they paid he VAT & duty, there was little or no saving.

I have checked this out and found that VAT at 17.5% applies on sales of concert tickets in the UK. So the VAT discrepancy should only account for a 3.5% difference in prices between ROI & UK.

Other costs are higher in bussiness in Ireland too. For example, accountancy fees. Look at two similar businesses , one in the UK and one in Ireland, both with similar tiurnovers and working in the same types of business, and you will find the Irish business having to pay much more money just to get his books done by the accountant, just to keep the revenue happy etc. An example of 4500 euro versus £ 2000 stg ( about € 2500 ) springs to mind. Nearly double.

Back