Dublin place names:pronunciation by Dubliners

Caveat

Kind of annoys me a bit this so maybe should be LOS.

But again, I'm genuinely curious.

Dorset Street - once and for all is it dorSET (as most Dubs seem to say) or DORset (which makes more sense to me)

Stillorgan - Often hear this pronounced like StillURgan. Surely it's StillORgan ?!

The worst: Ranelagh. How on earth is this RENalegh ?!

But I hear it all the time.

Can we put this to bed?

well for the first one, it doesn't matter how it's supposed to be pronounced, usage has changed the pronunciation from what you think it should be pronounced to how it is.

the second one it's actually micai marbh!!

third one don't know but it certainly doesn't bother me.

micai marbh - LOL! always makes me laugh that one

The girl on the Luas has a great pronunciation for Ranelagh.

Yes, I'll never understand where people get that pronunciation of Ranelagh. You don't say I ren to the bus stop, you say I ran...

I would pronounce them
DORset
StillORgan
RANelagh.

That's how they read to me, so that's how I pronounce them!

Actually now we're on a similar subject, I don't like the way some Dubs say book as bOOK. I mean, you don't say cOOk, or tOOK, so why bOOk?

Sounds like bewk?

Certainly not exclusive to Dubs.
It's the done thing in Louth also

Oh, I'll add to this one, but probably shouldn't cause I get plenty of slagging about this.

I pronounce "donkey" so that is sounds like it is has a "u" in it - dunkey.
My rationalisation for this is based on how "monkey" is pronounced!

Funnily enough, some comtempories of mine also pronounce "donkey" in the same way, and we reckon that all goes back to how a primary school teacher that we all had, taught us to sing the Christmas Carol "Little donkey, little donkey on the dusty road"!

Wollran

I grow up in Rathmines and only the posh people pronounced Ranelagh as RANelagh. Us Joe Soaps pronounced it as RENelagh. So i suppose it depends on where you grew up and how the locals pronounced it. I once heard an RTE presenter refer to iot RAANelagh but I think they aare from Co Meath

PS We also pronounced Rathmines as RATmines, the poshes refered to it as ROTHmines

Sandwith St is always pronounced SandwiCH St

Had a row with a guy in work once about how this should be pronounced.

I'm a Dublinner and would say the following:

DORset St
Still-OR-gan
Ran-eh-lagh

On the Dorset St one, I've always regarded someone saying dor-SETT as a sign that they are not from Dublin and so dont know the correct pronunciation.

...I've always regarded someone saying dor-SETT as a sign that they are not from Dublin and so dont know the correct pronunciation.

Gerrawayourrahdat!

It's totally a Dub thing!!

Well done on the rest though, good man. ;)

Actually now we're on a similar subject, I don't like the way some Dubs say book as bOOK. I mean, you don't say cOOk, or tOOK, so why bOOk?

I assume you mean bOOK being pronounced similar to "buck" & bOOk being pronounied similar "bouke"?

Dubs actually interchange the pronunciations depending on usage e.g.

"People buy bOOks in the bOOK shop"

"The cOOk is cOOKing dinner"

Though, tOOK is always tOOK.

Back