Dublin place names:pronunciation by Dubliners

Terenure!! Where do people get the idea that its posh? Isn't that right beside Crumlin?
Those who say to you "oh thats posh "and "you d4 head "etc are ignorant to the fact that a lot of Terenure is in fact Flat land..,but why would they say those things if you don't do the accent,the clothes,and didn't go to school there?
you say in your post "I'm from Terenure (D6W ) but you go on to say in the next post

pixiebean;

I am confused you say you are a native of Kerry and yet you also say "Im from Terenure 6w?? which is it?

You're asking me?! Yeah, terenure is just down the road from Crumlin and Kimmage (where my granny lives incidentally).

I was born in Terenure and lived here for 10 years but i lived in Kerry for 13 years so a bit of both.

Yes, I do recall the UCC Benneton babes, red jackets were de rigeur. Cork also has its posh nasal accent, sailing set crowd.

Even Limerick, God help us, has a native D4 set.

Have some good friends from Dublin D4 land and if they're the genuine article (born and bred there) then it doesnt bother me, they're a fairly affable crowd. Its the culchie wannabe social climber types with acquired accents that annoy me.

Love the Ross O'Carroll Kelly stuff, and its not a "chip on shoulder hate those rich snobs" thing, there's brilliant wit, cutting satirising of an entire mindset, stereotyped out to the last and all the funnier for it.

Anyone remember "Hello its me, the guy from the bar.... No honestly it is" - the story of my life !!! :D

Have some good friends from Dublin D4 land and if they're the genuine article (born and bred there) then it doesnt bother me, they're a fairly affable crowd. Its the culchie wannabe social climber types with acquired accents that annoy me.

Love the Ross O'Carroll Kelly stuff, and its not a "chip on shoulder hate those rich snobs" thing, there's brilliant wit, cutting satirising of an entire mindset, stereotyped out to the last and all the funnier for it.

Brilliant post Besy Og...sums up exactly how I feel.:)

Even Limerick, God help us, has a native D4 set.

:D

Trying to figure out where is the d4 of limerick is, NCR?

Love the way you say even limerick - god help us.

In galway people not from salthill say salt hill instead of saltill.

Trying to figure out where is the d4 of limerick is, NCR?

That would probably be the epicentre alright, but also:

Ennis Rd (adjoining NCR)
South Circular
O'Connell Aveneue
Monaleen/parts of Castletroy
Plenty of areas just outside the city that would be a mix of native farmers and 'big house' guys. The likes of Lisnagry, Ballyclough, Ardnacrusha, Cratloe etc.

Its own little enclave would be Adare.

Sport also identifies it, for every Young Munster & Thomond (earthy rugby clubs) you have a Garryowen & Crescent. Also Limerick Lawn Tennis on Ennis Rd, & Limerick Golf Club in Ballyclough would be fairly D4ish.

A bit like the Dublin D4's they're not the worst, and in a city memorably described in R.O.C.K. as "the biggest open prison in Ireland" they're a good counterbalance to the well publiscised woes of the city.

A couple of more Dublinisms,

Chapelizod = Chaperlizard

Punchestown = Puncherstown

Cork also has its posh nasal accent, sailing set crowd.

Oh how those Benetton babes aspired to becoming an RCYC.

Back to Dublin. One of my favourite haunts was Bowes or Bow-essss (as in bow-wow) as it was often called. Ditto for the Bohs football team.
Not too far from caddles shop (Or Carrolls to you an I).

Thanks Betsy - have noticed that good few consultants live in Adare and Ballyclough alright. Tommy and Hector remarked on their show that Adare was so posh it didn't even have a pass machine.

Forgot to mention another significant enclave which is Killaloe/Ballina, overlooking scenic Lough Derg and out the road towards Dublin. One might go boating or fine dining there.

Sport also identifies it, for every Young Munster & Thomond (earthy rugby clubs) you have a Garryowen & Crescent.

But sure aren't Munster rugby fans fond of telling us all that there's no class or snobbery in rugby in Limerick ? The Doctor and the Docker standing shoulder to shoulder in 'Toe-minned' Park?

Now if the Doctor were to go to the local of the Docker, or if the Doctor were to propose the Docker for membership of the golf club .. ;) ?

But sure aren't Munster rugby fans fond of telling us all that there's no class or snobbery in rugby in Limerick ? The Doctor and the Docker standing shoulder to shoulder in 'Toe-minned' Park?
QUOTE]

Yes, between that and the "famed" silence twould bore the posterior off you. Theres an element of truth in that at least working class areas of Limerick play rugby but to say its oh so egalitarian is stretching it to breaking point. & sure Cork rugby, to my knowledge, is exclusively the D4 set.

Re O'Briensbridge, dont know much about it but would come under the same heading as Ardnacrusha etc. Castleconnell (same general direction but across the Shannon) is unusual in that it would have quite a good name but also has a traditional hardcore ken acker element.

I remember when Killaloe and Ballina were only villages.
That changed maybe eight years ago.
Well in Ballina anyway, estates everywhere!
Now both are pretty big

But both lovely areas, you can't beat Goosers for a drink and a meal on a sunny Saturday evening outside

Well if you know that road you know Garrykennedy.
Almost more retired German people then Irish locals there.
Ok an exaggeration but an extremely popular area for people to buy houses and retire there.

Locals can't afford the houses!

i defo say "renelagh" for ranelagh!!

I think the way everyone has different ways of saying things, brings style and fun to Dublin as a whole!!!

Back