Dublin place names:pronunciation by Dubliners

I understand that D4 is now an euphemism for a particular attitude or mindset, and not a reflection of the people from Ringsend and Irishtown.

I'm originally from that part of Dublin and I remember back in the 90's many people stopped using Ringsend or Irishtown as their address and instead just used Dublin 4.

Blackrock ,Foxrock ,Dalkey are the "real D4s" the rest are "wannbe D4s"..

I hear a lot or country folk who move up to Dublin as students and acquire a D4 accent,there is even a page on facebook its called " you are a culchie why are you speaking with a D4 accent",:)

I read some time ago that parents aspire to have their children speak with a D4 accent as the accent itself denotes money etc..go figure..

Personally I don't like extremes of either accent,and am more concerned about what the person has to say,their values etc than their accent..

I read some time ago that parents aspire to have their children speak with a D4 accent as the accent itself denotes money etc..go figure..

I actively discourage my children from a Dub pronounciation of certain words and vowel sounds, such as 'skew-ell' for 'school'.

Equally, I actively discourage them from repetition of 'right' and 'like' in their speech, and also rising inflection at the end of sentences.

The won the 'Daddy Lottery' when they were born :D !

I'd say Tahl-but Street. Always Gall-way though.

I'm from Kerry, and there's a place called Lixnaw.

I always say Lix-gnaw, whereas most pronouce it Lixsh-naahhh

Paddy, my brother's wife is from Lixsh-naahhh (and they now both live there) :)

I say Lix-gnaw.

I understand that D4 is now an euphemism for a particular attitude or mindset, and not a reflection of the people from Ringsend and Irishtown.

That mindset is most prevalent in certain areas of the Southside, such as D6, D6W :)rolleyes:), D14, D16, D18, and those suburbs along the coast that don't have a post code like Blackrock, Dalkey & Killiney.

You'd be right there tarfhead. This is in line with D4 head dress code and general appearance (for girls over application of make up, hair that looks like you were dragged through a bush, either very little clothes or big baggy "boyfriend" tracksuit bottoms and a big baggy "boyfriend" vest and for boys rugby jersey of choice, strategically placed hair in much the same manner as the girl's hairstyle and dubes).

I'm from Terenure (D6W :eek:) and am often told "oh that's posh", "you D4 head", "oh daddy must be loaded", and I am so glad that my parents sent me to school outside of Dublin because I dread to think what kind of adult I would be after weekly trips to the wesley disco and what kind of skin condition I would have from trowelling on the orange make-up/fake tan.

Good on ya Pixiebean.. are you a North Kerry native yourself?

I am indeed, from just outside Abbeydorney, spent most of my time in Tralee though, went to school there etc and could spot a Tralee accent from 100 yards! Have lived in Dublin and Kerry for equal amounts of time now so not really sure where i'm from :p

This is in line with D4 head dress code and general appearance (for girls over application of make up, hair that looks like you were dragged through a bush, either very little clothes or big baggy "boyfriend" tracksuit bottoms and a big baggy "boyfriend" vest...

As an ex-UCD boy I remember this look well. I am reliably informed that it is not just a Dublin look. It is also prevalent in UCC, particularly the faculty of Commerce. 15 years ago they were called Benetton babes. Then it was BT babes. I don't know what the kids call it nowadays.

I never could fathom why these girls, who look like someone stood a few paces away and flung make up at them, actually went for that look. Nothing better than natural beauty.

Oh yes you find it in all the colleges nowadays VOR. Also, I have worked in a couple of different law firms (damn recession) and the trainees that come in are hilarious. Strongest country accents going, I mean Cork City accents, Mayo accents and after a week in Blackhall they're dressing from Brown Thomas and speaking like they were born and bred in Donnybrook. We often make jokes about language classes in Blackhall:)

I never could fathom why these girls, who look like someone stood a few paces away and flung make up at them, actually went for that look. Nothing better than natural beauty.

Well when mummy is shot up with botox and going around in all the designer labels and daddy has a special fake laugh for all his fat banker mates it's hard for them to understand what's natural and what's not :p

Oh yes you find it in all the colleges nowadays VOR. Also, I have worked in a couple of different law firms (damn recession) and the trainees that come in are hilarious. Strongest country accents going, I mean Cork City accents, Mayo accents and after a week in Blackhall they're dressing from Brown Thomas and speaking like they were born and bred in Donnybrook. We often make jokes about language classes in Blackhall:)

Brother in Law speaks "D4". Born, bred and fed in Galway. I reckon it was Trunners and his masters in Bulfield that turned him in to a D4 sulicitur.

I was in UCD around the time Ross O'Carroll Kelly appeared. I swear I knew people in those books. Ross would speak about Hilpers for coffee and the different faculty balls and it was like listening to a friend recount a night out.

"Brother in Law speaks "D4". Born, bred and fed in Galway. I reckon it was Trunners and his masters in Bulfield that turned him in to a D4 sulicitur."

Hahahaha, everyone I work with is like that. It amazes me when I'm chatting to someone in work and might ask where they're from and they say Rathmore or some other fairly rural area and they are nothing like the way they were born.

God Ross O'Carroll Kelly did for D4 what Derek Hough did for smug! I think people use those Ross O'Carroll Kelly books as reference material nowadays.

I'll always remember when I moved up first, I got talking to this girl one night in th pub. One of the deepest northside accents I'd ever heard, a real "howiya" accent. So I says to her, what part of Dublin are you from.. Oh I'm nohh" she says "I'm from Slyyyyggooooo, but I have me Dublin accent so I can blend in".. She had been in Dublin 2 and a half weeks..

Terenure!! Where do people get the idea that its posh? Isn't that right beside Crumlin?
Those who say to you "oh thats posh "and "you d4 head "etc are ignorant to the fact that a lot of Terenure is in fact Flat land..,but why would they say those things if you don't do the accent,the clothes,and didn't go to school there?
you say in your post "I'm from Terenure (D6W ) but you go on to say in the next post
Originally Posted by PaddyW
Good on ya Pixiebean.. are you a North Kerry native yourself?

pixiebean;
I am indeed, from just outside Abbeydorney, spent most of my time in Tralee though, went to school there etc and could spot a Tralee accent from 100 yards! Have lived in Dublin and Kerry for equal amounts of time now so not really sure where i'm from

I am confused you say you are a native of Kerry and yet you also say "Im from Terenure 6w?? which is it?

I always think that rather than judging people by their accents we should think to ourselves if I was seriously injured and this person came to help me,does it matter what way they say,Can I help..d4 or otherwise.
Generalisations of people/areas does happen,but it should be based on fact not fiction.
Like for example if you looked at the demographics of the prison population ,it is a fact that something like 99% live in the north inner city ,clondalkin etc,or areas of deprivation.
It is a fact that if you live in the D4 type areas you are more likely to go to 3rd level.false tan or not..:)
And I know for a fact that there are a huge amount of teens traveling from Lucan,wicklow,Terenure ,Crumlin etc ,to Wesley disco,it is not confined to d4s.And you will find that even though they are from Lucan or Crumlin etc they will still wear the teenage uniform ,so to speak.
I lived in Kilkenny and its full of D4 types with D4 accents and all the other stuff which is associated with d4 ,false tan,bed head,you see people do aspire for some reason to be like this.

Back