Dublin place names:pronunciation by Dubliners

Talbot Street

I, and other people from Dublin, pronounce it Tall-bot Street. My culchie (Deise) missus pronounces it Tahl-bot Street.

Ditto for Galway; Gall (rhyming with Tall) way, against Gahl-way.

Oh, I'll add to this one, but probably shouldn't cause I get plenty of slagging about this.

I pronounce "donkey" so that is sounds like it is has a "u" in it - dunkey.
My rationalisation for this is based on how "monkey" is pronounced!

Funnily enough, some comtempories of mine also pronounce "donkey" in the same way, and we reckon that all goes back to how a primary school teacher that we all had, taught us to sing the Christmas Carol "Little donkey, little donkey on the dusty road"!

Wollran

That's just bunkers.

Phibsboro - Fizzburrah
Dollymount - Dollymou-ant (Sandymount, etc, etc)
Irishtown - Urrishtowan
Clondalkin - The Bleedin' Sticks man.
Navan - Wha'?

Not all Dubliners have a Dublin accent, a preference for wearing nylon leisure wear, or a need to hang navy and blue bunting outside their home when GAA team are playing.

When my kids pronounce 'school' as 'skewell', I have to correct them.

What's the equivalent of DNS (Da Nort' Soide) ?
SSL - Sythe Syde, Loike ;) ?

Talbot Street

I, and other people from Dublin, pronounce it Tall-bot Street. My culchie (Deise) missus pronounces it Tahl-bot Street.

I'd say Tahl-but Street. Always Gall-way though.

I'm from Kerry, and there's a place called Lixnaw.

I always say Lix-gnaw, whereas most pronouce it Lixsh-naahhh

There's nothing worse than south-eastern countryfolk saying 'Lehher' instead of 'letter.':mad:

Give me dublin pronunciations any day of the week.:D

In Kilkenny they pronounce water as wa-here and butter as bu-here!
The most annoying use of language by a lot is the BUH-Em! (for but-em

Phibsboro I pronounce it Phibsbura :eek:

Also jobstown, is it jobstown or J(oe)bstown?? I say Jobstown as in the I got a new job! but I hear a lot of people saying Joe-bstown

Also jobstown, is it jobstown or J(oe)bstown?? I say Jobstown as in the I got a new job! but I hear a lot of people saying Joe-bstown

lol - I live relatively near there and have only ever heard J(oe)bstown used. But when I drive thru with my OH he regularly makes a joke about going to Jobstown to get a job.

I used to live in Knocklyon - which is pronounced Knock Lion - and once met a girl who told me she lived in KnockLeeOn.

Bohernabreena is often pronounced Bornabreena.

I think everyone does. They should really anyway as it's also Phibsborough. Don't think there is any other reasonable way to pronounce it.

Phibs Beau Roe ?!

Don't think so.

Sang-widges ---sandwiches

Talla---Tallaght

Telafoam---Telephone

Scar-leh---Scarlet

And for the D4 heads..

Roaid---Road

Creche--crash

Aboutshs--About

BOen --bone

Morket--market

Cor ---car

Funnily enough, some comtempories of mine also pronounce "donkey" in the same way, and we reckon that all goes back to how a primary school teacher that we all had, taught us to sing the Christmas Carol "Little donkey, little donkey on the dusty road"!

Fadó fadó a christian brother at school used to give out yards to our class about " a monk swimmin' " in the recitation of of the Hail Mary. Maybe it's a Cork thing. ;)

Gall-way also. Based purely on the Irish.

Many places have had their names changed recently. I can think of two within a few miles of me. Lahinch and Lehinch are both used on signs. Most people pronounce it La-hinch.
The other is Ennistymon which is often signposted as Ennistimon. Might be to stop people pronnouncing it Ennis-tea-mon.

Fadó fadó a christian brother at school used to give out yards to our class about " a monk swimmin' " in the recitation of of the Hail Mary. Maybe it's a Cork thing. ;)
And don't start me on 'Round John Virgin' from silent night!:D

I used to imagine he'd look like a fat controller from Thomas the Tank Engine type of man!:D

lol - I live relatively near there and have only ever heard J(oe)bstown used. But when I drive thru with my OH he regularly makes a joke about going to Jobstown to get a job.

J(oe)bstown. Job as in book of Job (pronounced joeb) from the bible.

And for the D4 heads..

I understand that D4 is now an euphemism for a particular attitude or mindset, and not a reflection of the people from Ringsend and Irishtown.

That mindset is most prevalent in certain areas of the Southside, such as D6, D6W :)rolleyes:), D14, D16, D18, and those suburbs along the coast that don't have a post code like Blackrock, Dalkey & Killiney.

Back