Dozens sympathise with sex offender

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have taken the post from thedaras and sent it to people in my address book. I am encouraging them to email the two addresses and forward the mail on as well. Maybe we can try and create an email chain to flood the addresses.

I also think that sending an email is not pointless if it displays a sense of public outcry.

Thanks for the email link, I've sent a letter of support to her as I think it is important that she realises that most people do not this this was acceptable behaviour.

I'm still amazed how a person who is in custody can be approached so easily and the gardai did not stop this "show".

In one way it has backfired on Danny Foley as it has highlighted the case on a national level that never would have happened if this show of support hadn't happened. It probably would have just been a two liner on page 7 or 8, hardly anyone would have read it and less would remember his name - whereas no we all know who is is and what he did (as convicted by a group of his peers).

Remember the Kerry babies scandal, and now this. What kind of people live in Kerry? How could such a sick society develop?

The visuals of this case are unedifying but, as is often the case, could blame not be shared?

Not necessarily in this case but it's often a modern tale of two inebriated people who engage in sexual activity. Feelings of regret from the female participant ensue and rather than take personal responsibility for her own actions she decides to seek retribution through the courts. This is symptomatic of the pervasive 'blame mentaility' in society today.

Does anyone really know what happened in this particular case? Just listened to the interview with the convict's brother and the media may have sensationalised the story.

From what I hear, if anything the media played the details down. There is no sharing of blame. He was convicted of sexual assault on the back of damming evidence.

The visuals of this case are unedifying but, as is often the case, could blame not be shared?

Not necessarily in this case but it's often a modern tale of two inebriated people who engage in sexual activity. Feelings of regret from the female participant ensue and rather than take personal responsibility for her own actions she decides to seek retribution through the courts. This is symptomatic of the pervasive 'blame mentaility' in society today.

Does anyone really know what happened in this particular case? Just listened to the interview with the convict's brother and the media may have sensationalised the story.

Yes a man was accused of a crime, pleaded not gulity and was found guilty by a dury of his peers........

This post demeans women who have suffered a sexual attack. I would think the number of women who go the route of assigning blame where there is none is far far lower than the number who simply do not report an attack for shame or fear. Persuing justice for a rape or sexual assualt in this country is a demeaning, difficult process for the victim, I simply cannot see many women deciding to do so just because they had feelings of regret afterwards.

This post demeans women who have suffered a sexual attack. I would think the number of women who go the route of assigning blame where there is none is far far lower than the number who simply do not report an attack for shame or fear. Persuing justice for a rape or sexual assualt in this country is a demeaning, difficult process for the victim, I simply cannot see many women deciding to do so just because they had feelings of regret afterwards.

I agree. Its that type of attitude that must be stamped out.

No woman deserves to be sexually assaulted but if she is under the influence of alcohol she is exposing herself to increased risk and must take some of the blame herself.
not so. Its as simple as that. you mention woman instead of person - why?

Of course there is blame on the male's part but what sanction is there against the female who is inebriated to the extent where she is not compos mentis? That in itself is a criminal offence and rightly so.

No woman deserves to be sexually assaulted but if she is under the influence of alcohol she is exposing herself to increased risk and must take some of the blame herself.

Are you being serious??? Even as a man I find that offensive.

This happened on the same day that a priest was found guilty of over 70 counts of serious sexual assault on a young boy. The judge deemed it a suitable punishment that he spend 18 months in prison.

What the hell is wrong with us? Why are sex crimes treated as a misdemeanour?
Rape is second only to murder as a crime and in many cases worse than some murders. People found guilty of the rape of a young child should face 15-20 years in prison at the very minimum. The age of the accused should never be use to mitigate the severity of the sentence.

The sentences handed down to child rapists are utterly outrageous as is the general attitude to those who covered up their crimes. I couldn’t give a damn if a bishop resigns or not. I am only interested in knowing when those who covered up and facilitated these child rapists will face trial and how long they will spend in prison. I would suggest that they should serve longer sentences that the actual abusers just as those who facilitate crimes against humanity are more culpable than those who carry out the crimes.

This is what we should be protesting about, this is our national crisis, this is our national shame.

These people should be given the death sentence :mad:

As a human, I find it offensive. Whether a man or woman, this is sickening.

Please join this support page for the victim
[broken link removed]

3,000 members so far.

Last edited:
This post will be deleted if not edited immediately Yorky, come out of the dark ages will ya? Would you consider it a criminal offence if a lad gets trollied drunk at a Christmas party and can't remember what they did the next day? If so there are a lot of criminals walking the streets!
As Sunny said, your attitude is offensive.

Of course there is blame on the male's part but what sanction is there against the female who is inebriated to the extent where she is not compos mentis? That in itself is a criminal offence and rightly so.

I sincerely hope you are not being serious. A woman has as much entitlement as a man to get inebriated if she wishes and not be at increased risk of sexual assualt because of it.

It is not a criminal offence to become inebriated.

Would you think it was ok for a man to be beaten with a baseball bat - just because he was drunk?

Let me be clear on this:
It is NEVER, under ANY circumstances, ok for someone to sexually assualt someone else. No victim of sexual assualt can be BLAMED for bringing it upon themselves.

That attitude is ignorant, offensive and quite franky - disgusting.

Absolutly disgusted with this post.

I know what happened in this case.

A court found foley GUILTY of a sex offence and sentenced him to seven years.

Any other information you may require is in my opinion.,voyeauism.
Glad to see other posters condeming this post .

Are you for real?????????

This, btw, is the attitude that has caused the public outcry on this incident in the first place.

I sincerely hope you are not being serious. A woman has as much entitlement as a man to get inebriated if she wishes and not be at increased risk of sexual assualt because of it.

It is not a criminal offence to become inebriated.

Would you think it was ok for a man to be beaten with a baseball bat - just because he was drunk?

Let me be clear on this:
It is NEVER, under ANY circumstances, ok for someone to sexually assualt someone else. No victim of sexual assualt can be BLAMED for bringing it upon themselves.

That attitude is ignorant, offensive and quite franky - disgusting.
Excellent post and couldnt agree with you more.
Yorky should consider withdrawing that post.

... Just listened to the interview with the convict's brother and the media may have sensationalised the story.
I have to say that I find the tenor of your post deeply offensive. The strongest comments on this case were made by the judge in his pre-sentence summing up and I see no accusations of sensationalisation being levelled at him.

In the linked Irish Times article below, the Bishop of Kerry apologises and both the Prison Service and the Courts Service unsurprisingly disclaim any and all responsibility for what happened in court, with the Prison Service apparently answering a question they were not asked.

I have written to the Minister for Justice and to local TDs asking for an explanation for the disgusting court scenes associated with this brave woman's case, asking specifically what the responsibilities of the Guards, Prison Service and Courts Service are in relation to the public having contact with and access to a convict in custody in open court.

I'm surprised, given that so many people after the event seem to have suspected something was afoot, that no-one brought any of the goings-on in the court and its environs to the attention of the presiding judge.

[broken link removed]

Excellent post and couldnt agree with you more.
Yorky should consider withdrawing that post.

+1. That is one of the most disturbing posts I've ever read on this site. Offensive is too mild a word for it.

Do you have any female family members at all? So you think any female who has been raped or sexually assaulted shares part of the blame if they had been drinking? Are you going to say next if she was wearing a short skirt she was also asking for it?

This really is one of the most disgusting posts I've read on here. You've been building up to this it seems to me for a while, you should really take a good look at yourself.

And I don't agree with people asking you to withdraw it, you should be held accountable for what you've written and not have it exorcised from the record.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back