Dozens sympathise with sex offender

Status
Not open for further replies.
The carefully orchestrated intimidatory campaign executed in and around the court-house beggars belief.

Facebook have removed a group set up by a supporter of Danny Foley where friends of his had publically posted wallposts with threats like 'She better hide' - the details are over on boards.ie where some posters included pictures of the pages when they were still in existance. Disgusting.

Of course there is no good or justifiable reason that she should feel forced to leave the area - but I expect that the victim of this crime may well find it a lot easier to move away and establish herself in a less nakedly partisan community.

I wonder if her economic circumstances might currently be a limiting factor.

If so, I wonder is there any practical (financial) help being organised to which one can donate?

Otherwise I fear that she may end up being victimised all over again by our rapacious chequebook-wielding media.

I heard this on the radio this morning driving to work and I had to pull over the car to grasp what was being said.

My father grew up as an orphan in an Industrial School in the 40's and 50's and I have lived first hand the fallout from this.

Have the church and clergy learnt no lessons from the past? I cannot believe this was allowed happen in Ireland in 2009.

People need to make a stand and be counted to let the bullies who shook the convicted sex offenders hand this cannot be tolerated. I will write to the priest, diocise, even the Pope if I have to.

I am so angry over this.

This is absolutely appalling, I just can't understand the mindset of people like this, why do they hate women with such a passion? It's also scary to think that he used to be a bouncer.

There are however four aspects of this case that I find encouraging:
- That the Gardaí gave her the support needed to convict
- That a Kerry jury returned a unanimous verdict to convict him
- That the Judge was appropriate, particularly with sentencing and his comments
- That the media have given this the coverage it deserves - those people need to understand why what they did was so wrong.

It's difficult to see it now, but we have come a long way.

Talk is cheap. What will we do about it?

Show your disgust for sean sheehys appalling behaviour which he went on national radio to defend, and the fact that he said that the CONVICTED ,FOUND GUILTY ,SEX OFFENDER hadnt an abusive bone in his body!!

[email protected] ( This is the email address for castlegregory parish where I understand sean sheehy is parish priest)

[email protected]

I did.

Try this?

Maybe we should despense with jurys altogether and just get sheehy to let us know what the verdict is..

list of emails for those whom wish to express their disgust at sheehys behavior;
[email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected],

sending emails is useless, one can decide not to open it. I'd like the Father to explain to me how he finds his support justified when I ring him.

I have asked Father Sheehy's superior for an explanation.

That would be the person to ask.

I've never seen such unity on AAM about any topic. Well done everyone here!!! :) I wish someone would contact the lady in question and ask her to log onto this thread and see what ordinary people think about the situation.

Like Ron, I wanted to post about it yesterday. Like him, I couldn't get my head around it.

Go back to Page 1 of this thread and read Purple's post. It's superb! It's surely a contender for Post of the Year on AAM.

sending emails is useless, one can decide not to open it. I'd like the Father to explain to me how he finds his support justified when I ring him.

There is such a thing as a public outcry so disagree that sending emails is useless..

You would have to be pretty mad to think that each and every email is opened,the fact is that with the amount of emails going through to them,they can see there is a real issue thats needs to be dealt with.

Good luck with getting through to him, I tried his number many many times today to no avail..so an email can be a way ( a start ) to get the public opinion known to as many as possible.

Anyhow ,I dont think slagging off other peoples efforts is going to help,do whatever you want to do,It was just a suggestion on my part for people that were looking to do something.You may think it useless but to have made my opinion on this known was important to me.

I've never seen such unity on AAM about any topic. Well done everyone here!!! :) I wish someone would contact the lady in question and ask her to log onto this thread and see what ordinary people think about the situation.

Like Ron, I wanted to post about it yesterday. Like him, I couldn't get my head around it.

Go back to Page 1 of this thread and read Purple's post. It's superb! It's surely a contender for Post of the Year on AAM.

Plus 1.

They should definitely be named and shamed. They are as bad as the sexual offender.

Thats the least the media should be doing. There should be photographs and background stories about each and every one of those people who shook the sex offenders hand.

One thing we can do is try to make sure the sex offender doesnt get out of prison early on Parole. Considering the horrific circumstances and the inbred ignorant nature of many locals who I heard even refused to serve the victim and her father in local bars after the court case; it would be extremely bad for the victim to have him strutting around town acting hard done by.

Does anyone know how we can do this ? When a parole hearing comes up in a year or two, how do know about it and how do we make sure he doesnt get his freedom before the full sentence is served ?

Talk is cheap. What will we do about it?

We can fight it everytime we meet it in Ireland, it is the great unspoken truth of what Irish people really believe, that is to say a certain section of society that has a hatred of women, I have fought this all my life, this viewpoint, it's really difficult to do especially if you do it consistently as I do.

I know it's not all men, there are good men, but there sure are an awful lot of men who seem to hate women, particular Churchmen of the Roman Catholic type. There are also women who support the men in this viewpoint which I can never understand.

By taking about it on here, by recognising it, by seeing Irish society for what it is and bringing up our children to know this, and to know what is right and what is wrong. To hope for a better future, for a more mature Irish society, to hope that the young people who've during the boom had good jobs and were better educated and hope that they will bring us a new Ireland.

Irish society is really really sick still, sometimes I can't believe it, that we are 2009 and still it goes on. How can a person send hate mail to a victim, how can they write it, post it, live with doing that. How can a publican refuse to serve a sexual assalt victim, how can an ordinary person ask a victim why she would bring a court case, really how could one human being say to a woman 'why are you bringing this case against a fine fellow like Danny Foley', how do you actually do that? How do you pick up a phone and call a women alone in her house 5 or 6 times to scare her because she had the temerity to seek justice?

More concrete action is to not shop in Listowel, to say out loud I will not go to Listowel where men think all women are whores, to say that there is something wrong with the people of Kerry and X and Y place. To say I won't go to Z pub in Listowel because they refused to serve the victim, to name that pub, that shop that person. Fight it in the little things, that's a start.

I wish someone would contact the lady in question and ask her to log onto this thread and see what ordinary people think about the situation.

I emailed a message of support to the Kerry Rape Crisis Centre and included a link to this thread, so hopefully she will see what the people here think.

The email address is:
[email protected]

Fair play truthseeker. I'd like to think that Irish society is not quite as sick as some people here are making out and that these 50 are a very small minority who don't reflect the vast majority. Certainly the public reaction to this event (both on here and on radio talk shows at least) shows that people are sick at the notion of what happened in Listowel so I'm hopeful that this shows we are a society who have changed for the better but obviously we still have a way to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back