Dozens sympathise with sex offender

Status
Not open for further replies.
That women is a hero. The amount of cases like this that never make it to the courts is a disgrace. There are so many cases where woman are afraid to speak out, she should be very proud of herself.

I heard this guy's fiance on Newstalk at lunchtime....hadn't heard anything about this case up until now.

She said so many things that just shocked the hell out of me:

1. She was standing by him (her choice I guess)
2. He wasn't guilty & had been falsely accused (though Eamonn Keane KEPT saying he had been convicted so was gulity & not "accused")
3. She was overwhelmed with the support of the community
4. And this really got to me - she had not seen or heard one piece of evidence during the trial that made her think he was guilty. I suppose it's good that jury had more of an open mind.

In fairness to Newstalk, they had a spokesperson from local rape crisis centre on & she was very very good & said that if anyone wanted to send cards to the victim, they would pass them on.

On liveline they said that if you want to support for this lady you may send a card to Kerry Rape & Sexual Crisis Centre.

They are at 5 green view terrace, tralee.

I feel sick the more i hear about this.

I'm so puzzled by this . . .I have never ever heard the like before. I thought when I saw the headline that it was a case where it was a case of her word against his and people had sided with him but there seems to be proper evidence.
What was his defence, that he just found her somewhere and decided to carry her to the skip area?
Sickening but I think there must be more to this. Even if those people thought he is innocent would they not consider that there is a chance they might be wrong about it and not be shaking his hand in front of the victim.

Castlegregory ParishAddress:Castlegregory, Co KerryPhone:066-7139145Web Address:Email:[email protected] Key contact:Fr Sean Sheehy. P.P.Mass Times:Castlegregory. Tue-Fri 10am, Sat 10am, 7pm, Sun 11am, Cloghane. Wed 6.30pm,

Heres a blog I found which sums up how I feel..

bigmentaldisease.com/ireland/i-knew-kerry-was-full-of-perverts/ - 9 hours
ago

I have emailed the bishops and the listowel parish and now it seems sean sheehy is in fact from castle gregory parish so have emailed them too to express my disgust.
The people involved should be ashamed of themselves.
What kind of message is this giving out..
Sean sheehy should resign, Im focused on him as he went on national radio to defend the fact that he stood up for the convicted sex offender and also said the convicted sex offender hasnt an abusive bone in his body!! disgusting behaviour..
Maybe show your disgust by emailing the bishops and the parishs involved .
Im sickened ..

I'm so puzzled by this . . .I have never ever heard the like before. I thought when I saw the headline that it was a case where it was a case of her word against his and people had sided with him but there seems to be proper evidence.
What was his defence, that he just found her somewhere and decided to carry her to the skip area?
Sickening but I think there must be more to this. Even if those people thought he is innocent would they not consider that there is a chance they might be wrong about it and not be shaking his hand in front of the victim.
What exactly are you puzzled about?
You say there seems to be proper evidence,id ask you to choose your words carefully! There is and was correct and proper evidence..
You say,sickening but you think there must be more to this..
You need to elaborate here about what exactly you mean..It is a fact that there is a convicted sex offender who was found guilty by his peers and was sentenced to 7 years in prision,he was found GUILTY,it is not an easy charge to bring nor is it taken lightly ,,the evidence pointed to his guilt,it may be that this idea that there is more to it ,is exactly what the hand shaking and support for the sex offender was meant to happen,I for one am not falling for it.
It does not matter what those other people think,he had already been found GUILTY..
Their behaviour was appalling and should not have been allowed to happen.

I'm so puzzled by this . .

It's not at all a puzzle, quite easy really, you go out as a female, dress inappropriately, drink too much and well you're asking for it, what do you expect. That's how it works in Ireland.

He's an upstanding member of the community, everyone knows him and sure he wouldn't do that.

It's all very well for everyone to say how brave she is, and I really think she was very brave, but she will have to live with it in that small place for the rest of her life. She will probably be forced to leave the town, that's the reality of it.

Until people stand up to sex offenders like him and stand up to the men who shook his hand and stand up to the priest who gave a character reference and who continues along with his fiance to give witness to the wrong done to the CONVICTED sex abuser, until then nothing will change.

I have to say, the more I read, the more physically sick I feel. And I say that as a man. Can't imagine how angry victims of sexual assult must feel when they see things like this.

Show your disgust for sean sheehys appalling behaviour which he went on national radio to defend, and the fact that he said that the CONVICTED ,FOUND GUILTY ,SEX OFFENDER hadnt an abusive bone in his body!!

[email protected] ( This is the email address for castlegregory parish where I understand sean sheehy is parish priest)

[email protected]

I did.

There is something wrong with the Irish psyche.

Look how Limerick congregations came out in defence of Bishop Murray. Look how the other four bishops linked to the recent Dublin diocese reports on child abuse are also still in position with the support of their congregation. Look how we continue to elect corrupt TDs and county councillors, deferring to them in public. I lived surrounded by Ray Burke, GV Wright (Mr Amnesia) and Charlie Haughey. The influence these people had was like that of a medieval laird.

The carry on in the Listowel case is a snapshop of how child abuse in institutions, presbyteries and within the family was covered up and ignored by the genereal community for the past two hundred years or so. Frightening. This is why we have to continue to be vigilent and ensure the religious extremists and their stormtroopers such as Youth Defence, SPUC, Opus Dei etc are never allowed to hijack our leglislature and democratic institutions. We need to continue to heal our sick society and build a pluralist, tolerant and totally inclusive society, including a truely Christian (not based on the flawed intolerant autocratic Ratzinger doctrine) segment among other religions.

The opening line from The Examiner this morning........

"It was a scene that could have come from a John B Keane play – a bizarre gesture of support by some plain people of Kerry for a convicted sex offender."

......how true indeed!

even worse the priest admitted he made his statement based on his knowledge on the person (girl) and her statement that was blurry with drink.
That was on TV3 news this evening.

even worse the priest admitted he made his statement based on his knowledge on the person (girl) and her statement that was blurry with drink.
That was on TV3 news this evening.

...which appears to contradict what the priest said on Newstalk this morning - when asked why he hadn't offered support and comfort to the victim, he replied that he didn't approach her because he didn't know her....

The priest said it didn't occur to him to shake her hand.

The young women was assaulted, dumped, naked from waist down, by a skip.

The locals lined up to shake the guilty man's hand, hug him and support him.

I feel sick.

The priest said it didn't occur to him to shake her hand.

The young women was assaulted, dumped, naked from waist down by a skip.

The locals lined up to shake the guilty man's hand, hug him and support him.

I feel sick.

According to this report~:
http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/bouncer-gets-seven-years-for-sex-assault-1978715.html

He was actually found by the guards while he was 'crouching' over her, and her semi conscious and naked from the waist down, bruised and scratched.

It makes me wonder, if the guards hadnt come across him 'in the act' so to speak, would that poor girl have even come forward at all?

Even his language would indicate a lack of respect for women, he told the guards he 'found yer wan'.

I am going to send a card to the Kerry Rape Crisis Centre, very least I can do to support the victim here, let her see that not everyone thinks like the sickos in her community who would publically support a sex offender in front of his victim. I wonder who cards should be addressed to?

Sickening sickening story. I thought I had misread the headline when I saw it this morning. How difficult this must have been for that woman to go to court with this and then to witness this sickening and shameful show of support. I am lost for words.

Why were they allowed to come into contact with a prisoner in a court of law ???

Who was in charge and allowed it to happen in the first place. ...
My understanding is that this was a sentencing hearing as the judge remanded the convicted sex offender in custody having already been found guilty.

The prison service custodians and the courts service, who work for the victim by the way, need to explain the bizarre circumstances where so many people had ready physical access to a convicted sex offender who was, to all intents and purposes, in prison.

The carefully orchestrated intimidatory campaign executed in and around the court-house beggars belief. Myles Dungan interviewed a Kerry court-reporter with decades of experience on RTE this morning and he said he has never witnessed anything like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back