Delays in rolling out vaccine

One of my siblings - aged 66 no underlying conditions - got the AstraZeneca jab this morning in City West.
All very organized, in and out in less than 40 minutes.

Jab given by a member of the army medical corps. There were also being administered by nurses and pharmacists.

They said at least 1,500 would be vaccinated in City West today.

One of my siblings - aged 66 no underlying conditions - got the AstraZeneca jab this morning in City West.
All very organized, in and out in less than 40 minutes.

Jab given by a member of the army medical corps. There were also being administered by nurses and pharmacists.

They said at least 1,500 would be vaccinated in City West today.

Anyone I know who had the vaccine spoke very well about how it worked on the day and how it was organised which is good. Only heard one story where a 75 year old woman got her first vaccine and was given a date 4 weeks later in the Helix for the second. It was on Sunday and when she questioned it, she was told they vaccinate people 7 days a week. She turned up on the Sunday to find the Helix vaccination centre closed. She rang to get another appointment and was told she would have to wait 5 weeks. She pointed out that this would mean a 9 week gap between doses. They said they would ring her back and of course nothing. GP said there was nothing he could do as they just provided list to HSE. Last I heard she was just planning on turning up at one of the centres....

I think the word "story" in your story is very apt. "Stories" get modified and altered in the retelling. There's a lot of people putting out "stories".

I think the word "story" in your story is very apt. "Stories" get modified and altered in the retelling. There's a lot of people putting out "stories".

Except the story was my sisters mother in law. My brother in law drove her in for the non existent appointment. It didn't come from the man down the street who was talking to another man in Dunnes. You don't need to believe it. I am not saying it is widespread. Thousands of people are being vaccinated successfully. But, there are still issues. Some are to be expected but some can be avoided. And dragging elderly people to non existent appointments and then not resolving the issue can be avoided.

NIAC have also decided against spacing out Pfizer doses to 6 weeks, even though this is within manufacturer guidelines.
This would have gotten more vaccines to the unvaccinated instead focus is on the the small additional protection afforded by the 2nd dose.

I'm not a big fan of the healthcare industry but in fairness to GPs the constant moving of the goalposts and the inevitable slew of irate phone calls must be frustrating.

NIAC have also decided against spacing out Pfizer doses to 6 weeks, even though this is within manufacturer guidelines.
This would have gotten more vaccines to the unvaccinated instead focus is on the the small additional protection afforded by the 2nd dose.
I think the caution of sticking with the present regime is due to the variants we know both Pfizer and Moderna are more effective against them but with 2 doses.

I think the caution of sticking with the present regime is due to the variants we know both Pfizer and Moderna are more effective against them but with 2 doses.
But giving that extra protection means you leave other people with zero protection for longer.

But giving that extra protection means you leave other people with zero protection for longer.
I agree but we haven't vaccinated one group fully yet.
Once the elderly and vulnerable are fully vaccinated they should re-look at it especially for the sub 50s as they will only be getting the mRNA based on present advice.

This study would give the idea of spacing out the doses a lot of credibility . As it's a UK study it only reviewed AZ and Pfizer, but it wouldn't be a stretch to think that these kind of benefits would accompany Moderna's and J&Js vaccine.

I got the first AZ jab last week. I am told it takes 3 weeks to become effective? As each day goes by am I becoming better protected or is the protection loaded on the 3rd week?

Is it 65% protection with first jab AZ?

I got the first AZ jab last week. I am told it takes 3 weeks to become effective? As each day goes by am I becoming better protected or is the protection loaded on the 3rd week?

Is it 65% protection with first jab AZ?
After 12 days your immune system will be building up your resistance and at that will continue to build.
Protection really depends on your immune system if yours is robust it'll take less time to achieve a high level of protection.

Yes it's about 65%-68% after first jab and this can vary , this is a high level of protection and if you continue to wear a mask and wash your hands etc you'll be adding further protection.

There are a lot of little problems with the scheduling and I think it will quickly move to open, make your own appointment vaccination schedule. We all heard of front-line staff being offered multiple appointments.

With cohort 4 there are multiple stories of different hospitals department contacting a patient offering the vaccine. This freed up a slot for another patient. I am getting my first vaccine dose tomorrow through my gp, was phoned last Friday with an appointment. I was phoned again this morning being offered the vaccine and another appointment. Pretty soon anyone they can identify in cohort 4 will be contacted and I know they have already moved on to the pregnant ladies, one of my staff is getting hers today. But there will be gaps and missed people (I know a hospital Porter still waiting for his vaccine), he missed the round and “is on a list” but not being called for some reason.

I can see them having all 30-50 yr old registration opened by end of May, and then by end June I would think that clinics will offer slots to anyone for booking.

That 75 yr old lady is probably better off registering on the portal for a first dose and getting her second shot that way? Maybe not.

There are a lot of little problems with the scheduling and I think it will quickly move to open, make your own appointment vaccination schedule. We all heard of front-line staff being offered multiple appointments.

With cohort 4 there are multiple stories of different hospitals department contacting a patient offering the vaccine. This freed up a slot for another patient. I am getting my first vaccine dose tomorrow through my gp, was phoned last Friday with an appointment. I was phoned again this morning being offered the vaccine and another appointment. Pretty soon anyone they can identify in cohort 4 will be contacted and I know they have already moved on to the pregnant ladies, one of my staff is getting hers today. But there will be gaps and missed people (I know a hospital Porter still waiting for his vaccine), he missed the round and “is on a list” but not being called for some reason.

I can see them having all 30-50 yr old registration opened by end of May, and then by end June I would think that clinics will offer slots to anyone for booking.

That 75 yr old lady is probably better off registering on the portal for a first dose and getting her second shot that way? Maybe not.
The hospital system is broken and it was inevitable that multiple hospitals would be offering multiple appointments to patients.
Everytime a patient that is sent to another hospital for treatment for the same illness, that hospital creates a new hospital number and file for the patient.

An absolute mess.

I find it difficult to see how 450k vaccines a week will be administered. We don't get that many delivered and doubt we ever will.
Pfizer/BioNTech are the only one that are reliable with about 606000 in April, this includes the 191000 that arrived today.

I find it difficult to see how 450k vaccines a week will be administered. We don't get that many delivered and doubt we ever will.
Pfizer/BioNTech are the only one that are reliable with about 606000 in April, this includes the 191000 that arrived today.
Maybe if pharmacies get involved?

Maybe if pharmacies get involved?
It's more the supply side AZ aren't increasing and we J&J have only made one delivery and I can't see 600k from them in the next 2 months.

I think GPs and Pharmacies should be used more, send them all the AZ and JJ that comes in, use the Pfizer and Moderna in the large centers and see how that works.

Maybe Taoiseach got deal from Biden on Paddy's Day. Obviously couldn't announce it publicly.

According to RTE News last night, those 51 and over would be vaccinated with AZ, J&J, Pfizer or Moderna.
According to RTE News last night, those 50 and under would be vaccinated with Pfizer or Moderna.

I'm 68, registered 16th April. Have heard nothing since.
5 people I know aged 65 and 66 have registered, got their appointments, 4 of them now got their jab.
Obviously not strictly being done on an age basis.
I've checked and am registered "awaiting appointnent".

Back