Delays in rolling out vaccine

Well if he asked the question privately got the answer privately a story wouldn't have developed.
Some of the scientists in Nphet etc enjoy the relationships they've developed with journalists. More than likely one of them leaked it. One thing we've learned about journalists over the last decade especially, is that they aren't all that concerned with accuracy (remember the Cervical Smear debacle?) when it comes to undermining confidence in a minister.
It makes no sense for Donnelly to leak it or anyone in Govt. because it would give the Opposition another chance to claim they are "flying kites".

Some of the scientists in Nphet etc enjoy the relationships they've developed with journalists.
And vice versa, but many of these journalists remain scientifically illiterate, lacking a basic grasp of concepts such as statistical probability and causality versus correlation.

And some of these experts have come up with daft ideas, I think Kingston mills was promoting the vaccinate the under 30s idea yesterday. I think Niac credibility is damaged due to the chopping and changing over AZ vaccines, the whole vaccine rollout is behind because other vaccines are similar type. The "abundance of caution" principle they are following is flawed after all if the vaccine developers were to follow that it would be years before we had a vaccine. No consideration is given to the delays as if "abundance of caution" has no consequences.

And some of these experts have come up with daft ideas, I think Kingston mills was promoting the vaccinate the under 30s idea yesterday. I think Niac credibility is damaged due to the chopping and changing over AZ vaccines, the whole vaccine rollout is behind because other vaccines are similar type. The "abundance of caution" principle they are following is flawed after all if the vaccine developers were to follow that it would be years before we had a vaccine. No consideration is given to the delays as if "abundance of caution" has no consequences.
It was the experts who shot the idea down. And "abundance of caution " is an American term and is to do with pausing the J&J vaccine.
If you are going to " have a go" at least use some facts .
And just remember most of those who you dislike have far more experience and expertise than you or anyone here.

It was the experts who shot the idea down. And "abundance of caution " is an American term and is to do with pausing the J&J vaccine.
If you are going to " have a go" at least use some facts .
And just remember most of those who you dislike have far more experience and expertise than you or anyone here.

Ronan Glynn used the term 'abundance of caution' when explaining why they chose 60 as the cut off age for Astrazeneca and how they could have picked a younger age if they had wanted. And it is a silly term to use.

Also Kingston Mills is just as much an expert as the people on NPHET. Whether he is right or wrong is not the point. So are all the other 'experts' talking about the risks of schools opening, advocating zero covid, mandatory quarantine, how we should open up more, how we need to use antigen testing, how outdoor activities are dangerous/safe....

One thing we are not short of are experts willing to give an opinion and they have all come out of the woodwork. It's not just the pretend experts on AAM either. There is always an expert to be found who will agree/disagree with the experts on NPHET. I even heard an Epidemiological Professor the other day make the point that Philip Nolan has no background in either Public Health or Epidemiology and we should practically be listening to him instead. So even experts with far more experience or expertise than anyone here are not above having a go at other experts......

Possibly it sounds like that alright but it was also used by the Irish bodies a lot, in any case the Americans can indulge in an "abundance of caution" since they have an abundance of vaccines. It's critical now that we get vaccines out to as many people as possible by summer we don't have the luxury anymore to indulge in an "abundance of caution" with the north and UK open our restrictions are becoming meaningless and unenforceable

Does anyone know if those in the 65 to 69 age bracket who have registered online been called for their vaccination? Are they calling those people from areas of the city, first where there have been high case numbers?

Does anyone know if those in the 65 to 69 age bracket who have registered online been called for their vaccination? Are they calling those people from areas of the city, first where there have been high case numbers?
I have heard of 69 year olds getting appointments, I think it all depends on the capacity and location of the Mass Vaccination Centres but could be wrong on that.

69 year old in Terenure getting the jab tomorrow. His 67 year old wife is expecting to get it next week.

I'm due to get my jab at the Aviva today. Are there delays at the car park etc, or would I be better off parking out on the road and walking in?

I heard that there were delays of up to an hour just to get in to the car park at City West yesterday.

How long is the process taking at the Aviva?

I see huge pressure on niac now to approve the Johnson vaccine for younger age groups, Leo varadker and others have now weighed in. Even sam mcconkey has said that there are consequences from only looking at one side of the equation. Looks like "abundance of caution" is out the window now as the pressure is ramping up now on these bodies. Their PR people have probably told them never use "abundance of caution" again

I see huge pressure on niac now to approve the Johnson vaccine for younger age groups, Leo varadker and others have now weighed in. Even sam mcconkey has said that there are consequences from only looking at one side of the equation. Looks like "abundance of caution" is out the window now as the pressure is ramping up now on these bodies. Their PR people have probably told them never use "abundance of caution" again
It's already approved? and has been for weeks now.

I can guarantee that they won't come and say the vaccine is only safe for people aged 60-70. If I was a betting man, I will hazzard a guess that the vaccine will be suitable for either 50-60 or for 40-60 year olds which will be very convenient.......

I can guarantee that they won't come and say the vaccine is only safe for people aged 60-70. If I was a betting man, I will hazzard a guess that the vaccine will be suitable for either 50-60 or for 40-60 year olds which will be very convenient.......
I'd say they were going to approve it for over 50s but the heavy political pressure will push them to reduce that again , they have to dial down the one sided "abundance of caution" stuff and actually think about consequences, it's not a simplistic one sided equation anymore.

Can you explain what you mean by that @joe sod?
I don't use obtuse language or jargon like others do , it's fairly obvious what Im saying , niac are only looking at one side of the equation, the tiny risk of blood clots and trying to minimize that tiny risk even more, however they are not taking into account the delays in vaccine rollout and the enormous economic costs of every week of delays and restrictions.
Their rationale seems to be nobody will die from a blood clot but the consequences of that decision is not our responsibility, it's for others to deal with . That's not good enough even a scientific technical body must look at the consequences.

If you don't mind me asking what was the reason for not completing the procedure?
They didn't have the necessary equipment, they tried to get me into a hospital that had the equipment but I never heard anything back. They also misdiagnosed me so I probably wasn't seen as "urgent ".
My wife persuaded me to go to another doctor in a private hospital and thats where I was diagnosed with cancer.

Ironically I was returned to the public system as the private hospital didn't have the equipment nor expertise to treat my now rapidly spreading cancer.

niac are only looking at one side of the equation, the tiny risk of blood clots and trying to minimize that tiny risk even more, however they are not taking into account the delays in vaccine rollout and the enormous economic costs of every week of delays and restrictions.
Their rationale seems to be nobody will die from a blood clot but the consequences of that decision is not our responsibility, it's for others to deal with . That's not good enough even a scientific technical body must look at the consequences.

Why would you expect anything else?

It is doing exactly what it was set up to do.

NIAC provides evidence-based advice on vaccines, immunisation and health related matters to inform health policies. It has not yet made any recommendations in relation to Johnson & Johnson. It is involved in several international meetings in connection this vaccine and will issue its findings after those meetings take place.

NEPHET was established in January 2020 to oversee and provide national direction, guidance, support and expert advice on the development and implementation of a strategy to contain COVID-19.

The recommendations of both bodies are subject to change depending on developments, globally and here in Ireland.

It is the Government that must balance health and economic priorities.

Right now, the priority is virus suppression. If it is not suppressed and remain suppressed, business cannot open or stay open for long.

The greater the transmission rate, the greater the opportunity for mutation, which might challenge the efficacy of current vaccines.

If the economy is your concern, then virus suppression should also be your concern rather than persistently howling at the moon.

Back