Delays in rolling out vaccine

Right now, the priority is virus suppression. If it is not suppressed and remain suppressed, business cannot open or stay open for long.

The greater the transmission rate, the greater the opportunity for mutation, which might challenge the efficacy of current vaccines.

If the economy is your concern, then virus suppression should also be your concern rather than persistently howling at the moon.
Look it, I've been saying that the vaccine rollout needs to be ramped up yesterday not tomorrow, the delaying and "abundance of caution " stuff is actually is one of the reasons we are behind . The assumptions by niac and nphet that week's and months of restrictions can continue indefinitely is false. Why are niac waiting until next week to make a decision, are they not able to make a decision in parallel with the decision that the ema were making. There are Johnson vaccines sitting in storage awaiting their deliberations. Luke o neill is saying the same thing for the last month. I don't think the guys in these government bodies have the confidence to make a decision quickly , that's why they love the term "abundance of caution", unfortunately in the real world decisions have to be made quickly

Last Wednesday it took me two hours from entering the Aviva to the time of leaving for me to get my vaccine.

This Friday my wife was able to do it in one hour.

Comparing notes, it seems we both had a different experience, even down to the type of questions and advice given to us by the nurse administering the jab.

My wife even got a bit of cotton wool taped over her injection point and I didn't......I felt a bit neglected when I heard this. :)

This guy really needs to stop putting out tweets and concentrate more on what needs doing.

In mid-January, when Covid deaths in Ireland were at their worst, Stephen Donnelly complained to the HSE that his Twitter handle wasn’t being mentioned in enough of the HSE tweets.
They guy is a disaster and he’s getting worse.

A family member is in Group 7 of high risk, under 60.
Their GP surgery is not participating in the rollout because "AZ is not available".

Family member now seems to be in limbo as there doesn't seem to be any Plan B?
GP hasn't said anything along the lines of "We will register you for an MVC" and self registration on HSE is age based only.

Anyone else in same boat?

Was listening to a PodCast today.
AZ is only 10% effective against the SA variant.

Also, if every man, women and child in Ireland was vaccinated with AZ tomorrow we still wouldn’t have herd immunity as the efficacy is below the estimated HI level.

Was listening to a PodCast today.
AZ is only 10% effective against the SA variant.

Also, if every man, women and child in Ireland was vaccinated with AZ tomorrow we still wouldn’t have herd immunity as the efficacy is below the estimated HI level.
Was that a new real study or the same small sample size with huge confidence interval thats been knocking around for ages?

I don’t know. I think the 10% figure was Kingston Mills. The other is just maths I guess. Obvious when you think of it. Though the HI value is an estimate anyway. Some say 50%, other 70%, yaddayaddayadda.

I can guarantee that they won't come and say the vaccine is only safe for people aged 60-70. If I was a betting man, I will hazzard a guess that the vaccine will be suitable for either 50-60 or for 40-60 year olds which will be very convenient.......

Well I would love to say I am surprised....I have to say that even though I am sure they know what they are doing, it is hard not to think that they are making this stuff up as they go along......... What science is there to support putting these restrictions on this vaccine? They obviously know something that the EMA and US Regulators don't....

Was that a new real study or the same small sample size with huge confidence interval thats been knocking around for ages?
I believe these were small studies with one in mid March of 750. This was known at the start of February after a smaller observational study of 45 .
It's not certain exactly what protection it gives as mass rollout in South Africa was halted then and I can't find anywhere if it still not being used.

The J&J decision is a disaster for rollout.
That was to be the single dose vaccine easily rolled out in pharmacies etc like flu vaccine.

We may have to slow down vaccination of 40s and 50s to do in parallel using pfizer for 40 somethings.

Well I would love to say I am surprised....I have to say that even though I am sure they know what they are doing, it is hard not to think that they are making this stuff up as they go along......... What science is there to support putting these restrictions on this vaccine? They obviously know something that the EMA and US Regulators don't....

"abundance of caution" thats whats behind it , they don't have the confidence to make a call themselves, it was obvious they were awaiting the US regulator decision, because that was positive they went with the over 50s rather than over 60s which was probably their intention . It calls into question the whole credibilty of niac and why we are even bothering with them . We would be better off just abiding by the EMA and I know I was critical of them for their indecision earlier.
But Niac saying you can still use the Johnson vaccine if you don't have an alternative shows they havn't a clue themselves, its either safe or it isn't and they are unable to make a definitive call on it. It seems like they are covering their asses and also don't want to be blamed if the vaccine rollout is delayed

8 cases (cases not deaths) of blood clots out of 7 million doses of J&J vaccine in the US. If it was 100 times that I'd still take it. In the Irish Times yesterday they say that Dr Michelle Lavin, consultant haematologist in the National Coagulation Centre refers to a study that found, among women of child-bearing age, the risk of venous thromboembolism (VTE) is 4 per 10,000 women (nothing to do with any meds). This increases to 20-30 per 10,000 women during pregnancy and in the twelve weeks after. So the J&J vaccine will result in 1 blood clot in 87.5 x 10,000 doses. It's miniscule risk. There's got to be something else to it.

Last edited:
8 cases (cases not deaths) of blood clots out of 7 million doses of J&J vaccine in the US. If it was 100 times that I'd still take it. In the Irish Times yesterday they say that Dr Michelle Lavin, consultant haematologist in the National Coagulation Centre refers to a study that found, among women of child-bearing age, the risk of venous thromboembolism (VTE) is 4 per 10,000 women (nothing to do with any meds). This increases to 20-30 per 10,000 women during pregnancy and in the twelve weeks after. So the J&J vaccine will result in 1 blood clot in 87.5 x 10,000 doses. It's miniscule risk. There's got to be something else to it.
At the time the FDA paused there was one death and another was in critical condition, the CDC are now actively looking into another death in the past few days.
Yes the risks are very small but when it happens the effects of a death are no less devastating.
I still maintain that the buck stops with the manufacturers/agenicies to work out what are causing these

At the time the FDA paused there was one death and another was in critical condition, the CDC are now actively looking into another death in the past few days.
Yes the risks are very small but when it happens the effects of a death are no less devastating.
I still maintain that the buck stops with the manufacturers/agenicies to work out what are causing these

You keep saying that but the effects of a death from covid are no less devastating and the risk is much higher. We take medicines and vaccines every day that carry risks. You have a one in a 1000 chance of seizures after the MMR vaccine. People getting the flu vaccine run the small risk of severe allergic reactions. I am not aware of a vaccine out there that does not carry at least a 1 in a million chance of a serious side effect.

Neither the FDA nor the EMA put restrictions on the J&J vaccine. Since the start of this crisis, we were told we take our advice around travel, masks etc from the ECDC so it seems strange we have now decided that we should do our own thing when it comes to vaccines especially since NIAC are using EMA and FDA data to make their decisions.

We how have a situation where the vaccine is not suitable for people under 50 unless you are in hard to reach setting. So basically the risk is acceptable for homeless people. Doesnt sound scientific to me.

And before the usual 'they are the experts' argument starts, there are plenty of experts today saying exactly the same thing.

My guess is that once they start rolling out vaccinations to the under 50s this decision will be revised accordingly...

they went with the over 50s rather than over 60s which was probably their intention .
Does anyone know why they picked the over 50's for the J & J?

It strikes me that the over 50's is the next cohort coming up. They have the vaccines on tap so the over 50's will be getting these like it or not, just as the over 60's were given the AZ, like it or not.

It is beginning to look as if the attitude is "O.K. Narnia said these vaccines are safe, let's get rid of them now, who's next....OK give it to them".

Back