Delays in rolling out vaccine

Most maybe. I'd image there'd be a sizeable number who would be hesitant to give their child a rushed vaccine for the greater good.

Most maybe. I'd image there'd be a sizeable number who would be hesitant to give their child a rushed vaccine for the greater good.
What makes you say it is a rushed vaccine and why is that a concern?
What steps do you think were taken say during development of say the MMR vaccine that were not taken for Pfizer and what potential issues could be missed by that?

Is it not the fastest vaccine in history, by a long way? No doubt all the vaccines went through all the various steps. Yet there are question marks over a number of them which the trials did not unearth. The roll-out is a beta test. The optics are not great. It seems, so far, that this virus isn't much of a threat to children so giving them the vaccine is more about protecting 'the herd'.

Many will remember the rush to dole out Pandermix, the indemnity the the Government provided to the supplier and that the State made those children damaged by it have to fight through the courts to be looked after.

Is it not the fastest vaccine in history, by a long way? No doubt all the vaccines went through all the various steps. Yet there are question marks over a number of them which the trials did not unearth. The roll-out is a beta test. The optics are not great. It seems, so far, that this virus isn't much of a threat to children so giving them the vaccine is about protecting 'the herd'.

Many will remember the rush to dole out Pandermix, the indemnity the the Government provided to the supplier and that the State made those children damaged by it have to fight through the courts to be looked after.
I don't think longer trials would have detected the issues though, open to correct on that. It is such a rare chance the only way it would really have been spotted is when large volumes of people were vaccinated, far larger than any trial could ever enroll.
In practice if this was a normal medicine, the issues would only be discovered after X number of people were prescribed it and reported side effects.
We are vaccinating so fast there is a lag between the effects being noticed and responses taken (such as how to treat the clots).

But I take your point on it being purely about herd immunity.

when will the 50 to 59 signup dates start ?
will the 50 to 59 be bunched together or will they be as an example say , monday would be 59, then tuesday 58 etc etc
what is the proper link to register ,my google showing to me is weird (getting a www2.hse wont put up the rest of it as i dont trust it maybe its right
could mods post a sticky with proper link for everyone

when will the 50 to 59 signup dates start ?
will the 50 to 59 be bunched together or will they be as an example say , monday would be 59, then tuesday 58 etc etc
what is the proper link to register ,my google showing to me is weird (getting a www2.hse wont put up the rest of it as i dont trust it maybe its right
could mods post a sticky with proper link for everyone

The 40-49 age group may be vaxxed in parallel with the 50-59 age group. The former with mRNA and the latter with J&J

Minister of Health Stephen Donnelly expects 82% of the population to have received at least on vaccination by June 31st (sic).

The "82%" suggests how flaky and PR contaminated this seems to be. How come the government suddenly claims to have such a precise figure of future vaccine deliveries up to 8 weeks down the road?

Last edited:
Would you live in a more remote part of Ireland? I could see a situation where the closer you live to a large vaccination centre like the helix the faster you might get an appointment as they would have more slots. But if you were in west Clare for example they might do a weekly clinic in a town for everyone in the 65-69 bracket. Really just speculation on my part.

My 19 yr old was vaccinated (cohort 4) at a large centre and she said it was all young people that morning (many between 16-18 as they had a parent with them) so they must be doing bunches of similar cohorts together in the larger centres rather than next in the list.

Got the jab this morning. Appointment was for 10:30. Entered the Aviva at 10:25 and joined the queue for registration (have your photo id ready). Registration complete at 10:39 and walked to join queue for the jab. Have your jacket off and arm ready for the jab. Entered cubicle for jab at 10:53 and exited at 10:56. Walked short distance to post jab waiting area and left it at 11:15.
When you register you will be given a card with your name and DOB on it. Put this card away safely as you will need it when you go to get the second jab 12 weeks later. Don't keep this card in your hand as at each stage you are asked to sanitise your hands and if you have the card in your hand you could drop it.

I'm aged 66 , registered on the first possible opportunity but haven't received an appointment as yet.
My wife who's some years younger got her vaccine today and whilst being monitored post vaccine asked the guy in charge was there a reason why she received the vaccine before me ?
He asked was I with her and when she told him I was waiting in the car he cleared me through security , opened a desk for me where I gave my PPS number and then into a booth where I was vaccinated - all in all it took 5 minutes and then 15 minutes being monitored.
Unbelievably helpful by all concerned.

Minister of Health Stephen Donnelly expects 82% of the population to have received at least on vaccination by June 31st (sic).
I thought he would have corrected himself by the end of the interview, but repeated it at least twice :)

But you have to laugh at tabloid headlines "public FUME over date error" and calling it a "major blunder"

Of course these tabloid journalists are perfection personified and never ever make an error themselves :D :D

Although this vaccine hasn't yet been approved it was viewed as an important additions to countries supplies as it provided very good protection against the South African variant, looks like it'll be 2022 before its available.

Back