Delays in rolling out vaccine

Seem to be growing reports that EMA will only authorize AZ vaccine for over 65s, and up to individual countries if they want to give emergency authorization for use on over 65s. This greatly complicates our vaccine rollout strategy as I think government had planned on distributing this to over 70s via GP network. Also, you may have at risk people understandably demanding Pfizer instead..
Should that be under 65's?

No menu required. Just a choice for an age group, that the Germans have ruled against receiving the vaccine, between making a booking with your Doctor/Chemist/Dentist or going to a mass vaccination site.

How should that work? Should they rock up to you house with a menu?
None of the vaccines have been tested at high volumes on older people because vaccines aren't tested like that.
None of them have been tested on children either because vaccines aren't tested on children.

None of the vaccines have been tested- or authorised for children.
Some of the vaccines authorized for older people e.g. Pfizer had significantly more older people in their trials than AZ.

The UK authorized has authorized AZ for adults I think under emergency approval but it's probably too soon to gauge results.

According to the German Health Minister around 8% of participants in the AstraZeneca trial were over 65
and they quote a figure of 341.
Now they are hell bend,if they receive approval, on vaccinating us with the least effective vaccine available.
We are not children, we are able to weight up the risks

It appears you also fell into the trap of misunderstanding the details of trial participation numbers with vaccine effectiveness numbers.

2 standard doses are being administered in the UK

half dose/full dose trial, all participants were under 55.

We are due to receive around 6 million doses of Pfizer, I don’t know the amount from Moderna and then Johnson and Johnson.
All I am suggesting is that those of us in Group 3 are given the opportunity to make an informed choice. The convenience of receiving a vaccine locally and possibly quicker as against delaying until one of the other vaccines are available.

anyway, I rest my argument until I read the EMA a decision tomorrow,

Last edited:
Awaiting the EMA announcement

"Hear ye Hear ye Hear ye"
"All hail the EMA"
"The EMA speaks now"
"Hear ye what he speaks"
"...............................................

2 standard doses are being administered in the UK

half dose/full dose trial, all participants were under 55.

We are due to receive around 6 million doses of Pfizer, I don’t know the amount from Moderna and then Johnson and Johnson.
All I am suggesting is that those of us in Group 3 are given the opportunity to make an informed choice. The convenience of receiving a vaccine locally and possibly quicker as against delaying until one of the other vaccines are available.

anyway, I rest my argument until I read the EMA a decision tomorrow,
If the EMA say that more data is required before it is approved for over 65's then that's an informed decision. If they say it is then that's also an informed decision. With respect I think they know more about these things than you or me.

Your individual wishes also impact on the common good so no, you shouldn't be allowed to decide when you get a vaccine and which vaccine you get.

Looks like Novavax have good data. 15000 took part in clinical trials with 27% over 55.
Results are 89.3% efficacy over all cohorts and this appears to carry over to older people.
The Chief Investigation Officer, just said on BBC news that they hope to go for authorisation in April after more testing is carried out, but he "remains confident " that that timeline will be met.

Edit: this vaccine appears to be effective against both UK and South African variants

Last edited:
If the EMA say that more data is required before it is approved for over 65's then that's an informed decision. If they say it is then that's also an informed decision. With respect I think they know more about these things than you or me.

Your individual wishes also impact on the common good so no, you shouldn't be allowed to decide when you get a vaccine and which vaccine you get.
I think valery is in her 70s and if Astrazeneca is only to be used under 65s she'll get Pfizer or Moderna.
If/when we get Astrazenecas vaccine it can be rolled out to under 65s and its not unreasonable for the Pfizer/Moderna to kept for over 65s until they are vaccinatinated.

Obviously supply again comes into play here, as does logistics and the HSE being able to differentiate correctly.

I think valery is in her 70s and if Astrazeneca is only to be used under 65s she'll get Pfizer or Moderna.
If/when we get Astrazenecas vaccine it can be rolled out to under 65s and its not unreasonable for the Pfizer/Moderna to kept for over 65s until they are vaccinatinated.

Obviously supply again comes into play here, as does logistics and the HSE being able to differentiate correctly.
Sure, that's what I was talking about above ref the EMA, but if the Astra Zeneca vaccine is approved for over 70's then it should be given to them. They should not have a choice of which approved vaccine they get.

Sure, that's what I was talking about above ref the EMA, but if the Astra Zeneca vaccine is approved for over 70's then it should be given to them. They should not have a choice of which approved vaccine they get.
I agree with that , but lets be honest here Astrazeneca did not carry out any meaningful trials on older people.
Boris and his " scientific experts" are " confident " that it does protect older people but there is no scientific evidence.

"Confident " really isn't a scientific procedure.

I personally hope its fine and this will be proven over time that it does protect the elderly, and we can get on with getting the rollout done.

Some Prof just on BBC again was asked if he'd take it and said yes as he was " confident " as there were trials and studies going on in the UK to verify the effectiveness.

"Confident " really isn't a scientific procedure.

Well, confidence can, and in these circles, should be informed by empirical data such as effectiveness :D Just like effectiveness, confidence isn't binary.

But I think we're on the same page in that authorities should really focus on what gets us to a point where we can relax restrictions as soon as possible. To do that we need to use all vaccines available in the most effective manner. That may well be restricting the AZ or other vaccines to certain target audiences, but we can't just give everyone a choice, otherwise we end up prolonging the exercise by many months.

Back