Delays in rolling out vaccine

Still waiting for the EMA, it's obvious that they are now under immense political pressure given the row between AZ and Eu. They must be crafting their decision based on what the EU Is doing with AZ. This has very little to do with science but a hell of alot to do with politics.

Last edited:
Still waiting for the EMA, it's obvious that they are now under immense political pressure given the row between AZ and Eu. They must be crafting their decision based on what the EU Is doing with AZ. This has very little to do with science but a he'll of alot to do with politics.

Again you seem to have an interesting notion of what is 'obvious'. On what are you basing the assertion that the EMA will bend to political pressure? Any evidence to show them doing so in the past?

30 seconds on Google will show you today's meeting has a few hours to run yet, so your assertions seem to have very little to do with reality and a hell of a lot to do with conjecture.

There's no shortage of conjecture and hyperbole when it comes to Covid19 and, as we all know, hyperbole will be the death of us all.

Yes, I take back what I said, looks like the EMA have actually approved it for everyone over 18, a sensible decision I think. Hopefully the Eu can put the row with AZ to bed now and concentrate on assisting them in ramping up production quickly. Threatening legal action straight away without listening to the company and not reading the contract properly was the mistake. It is after all a brand new complicated vaccine not widgets.

There's no shortage of conjecture and hyperbole when it comes to Covid19 and, as we all know, hyperbole will be the death of us all.

I thought it was minks...

Meanwhile EMA have arrived AZ for over 18s, contrary to conjecture & the Germans, they haven't limited it to under 65s.

So big decision now for authorities here do they press on with AZ for over 70s or use the vaccines for which there is more certainty but are logistically challenging to roll out.

Note that the EMA approved spacing for the second dose to between 4-12 weeks, so that simplifies the rollout somewhat.

Threatening legal action straight away without listening to the company and not reading the contract properly was the mistake.
In your rather tainted view. The redacted copy released by the EU clearly states that Astrazeneca are to supply from the UK if shortfalls the European plants couldn't fulfill orders.
Astrazeneca have a lot to explain here too, they must have said the plants would be ready to supply but they aren't, one excuse was low yield, and then tried to use the fact that the EU were 3 months behind the UK in ordering.
Of course Astrazeneca didn't even apply until weeks after they got UK approval why?

I'm not defending anyone but normal negotiations would include the basic questions " can you supply it , how much of it, and when. Astrazeneca hasn't fulfilled some important pieces of the contract.

Reactions: Leo
So big decision now for authorities here do they press on with AZ for over 70s or use the vaccines for which there is more certainty but are logistically challenging to roll out.
I'd say they'll press on. It does give some protection and there are studies going on in the UK that one thing I read might give data by mid February.

Astrazeneca have a lot to explain here too, they must have said the plants would be ready to supply but they aren't, one excuse was low yield, and then tried to use the fact that the EU were 3 months behind the UK in ordering.
Of course Astrazeneca didn't even apply until weeks after they got UK approval why?
Because the EMA made it known that they were not going to approve the vaccine in December as in the independent.ie article from December I posted, therefore they had to get the data that they were looking for ready before they could apply, fairly sensible.
It was only because the EU then came under huge pressure in January due to the huge third wave , new variants, and the lack of progress in vaccinations in comparison to other countries that they buckled when AZ informed them that their initial yields would be much lower.
Now they still havn't learned and look like they are trying to block exports of vaccines to third countries outside EU besides UK like Japan, this is really stupid and short sighted because we need lots of things from Japan, what if they retaliate, Trump would be rightly heavily criticised if he tried do something like this.

Because the EMA made it known that they were not going to approve the vaccine in December as in the independent.ie article from December I posted, therefore they had to get the data that they were looking for ready before they could apply, fairly sensible.
It was only because the EU then came under huge pressure in January due to the huge third wave , new variants, and the lack of progress in vaccinations in comparison to other countries that they buckled when AZ informed them that their initial yields would be much lower.
Now they still havn't learned and look like they are trying to block exports of vaccines to third countries outside EU besides UK like Japan, this is really stupid and short sighted because we need lots of things from Japan, what if they retaliate, Trump would be rightly heavily criticised if he tried do something like this.
You do realise that the initial vaccines that Astrazeneca produced for the UK were made in the same European plants that miraculously developed "yield issues " as soon as the UK plants became operational.

Additionally its widely reported that like all other vaccine development there was constant communication and data sharing by Astrazeneca to the EU , it probably was used in deciding the ordering of 400m doses , which is 4 times the UK order.

They have ordered a lot of vaccines and are producing a lot of vaccines yet they are facing restrictions of supply, how is this happening?

The EU are many things good and bad, but they have reason to suspect something is amiss, so they put controls in place to try and understand what is going on, if they simply shrugged their shoulders it would be a worse situation.

You do realise that the initial vaccines that Astrazeneca produced for the UK were made in the same European plants that miraculously developed "yield issues " as soon as the UK plants became operational.
To use a favourite retort by another poster "have you a source for that" ?
in any case is it important Because the EMA hadn't approved it and they were throwing out doubts about whether it would be approved in December?
The logical follow on from "vaccine nationalism" which is what the EU have now resorted to is that the European factories must stock pile the vaccine and not export it to UK or Japan until or if the EMA approved it. They would be undermining the whole basis of multinational manufacturing which is the basis of the irish economy afterall.
The EU handled the whole thing incredibly stupidly by backing AZ into a corner by threatening legal action without finding out all the facts, there seems to be a load of bureacrats without technical knowledge at the centre of all this who were suddenly under alot of pressure

"Yet here’s a fact that fits awkwardly into that narrative: according to Britain’s vaccine taskforce, its initial supply of AstraZeneca doses were made in the EU, in plants in [broken link removed] and the [broken link removed]."

From the Irish Times a few days ago , it was approximately 500,000 plus doses.

Ill refer you to my earlier post on the reasons why the EU have taken the action it has as it appears you missed it.

"Yet here’s a fact that fits awkwardly into that narrative: according to Britain’s vaccine taskforce, its initial supply of AstraZeneca doses were made in the EU, in plants in [broken link removed] and the [broken link removed]."

From the Irish Times a few days ago , it was approximately 500,000 plus doses.
Ill refer you to my earlier post on the reasons why the EU have taken the action it has as it appears you missed it.

The EU are short a lot more than 500,000 doses. I would be curious what percentage of UK total to come from EU plants.

The EU are short a lot more than 500,000 doses. I would be curious what percentage of UK total to come from EU plants.
Wouldn't we all, the point I'm trying to make is that those plants were operating then all of a sudden the yield goes down.
Astrazeneca have yet to explain that , but the UK plants must be pumping at 100% because the UK have huge supplies as evidenced by its now 8 million doses injected.
Another thing why would Astrazeneca sign up for the schedule if those European plants weren't capable?

Its only Pfizers vaccine they are getting from Europe no one else is producing and sending to the UK.

No matter what this needs a resolution and the sooner the better lives depend on it.

Last edited:
Back