Current public sentiment towards the housing market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
redo said:
114 in Clondalkin

Since I first explained my 2Pack Daft Effect to yiz in here the number of properties for sale on Daft has risen from 14088 to 14096 , thats nationally.

and Thats in 30 mins

not being uptodate with the wonderful workings of the estate agent business, I don't understand the concept of estate agents refusing to sell houses in certain areas because they have too many already on their books (other than not having the staff to show them off).

Wouldn't they prefer to have at least the possibility of earning the commission on a sale rather than it going to another estate agent or the seller? or am i missing something really obvious here? (hey its a Friday afternoon!)

redo said:
On myhome.ie there are 123 properties for sale in Lucan. This is highest figure I've seen in a while. I doubt many of them are leftovers from the auction season.

2Pack said:
Since I first explained my 2Pack Daft Effect to yiz in here the number of properties for sale on Daft has risen from 14088 to 14096 , thats nationally.

and Thats in 30 mins

These are the worst attempts at manufacturing statistics I've seen in quite a while. I know some people are dying to see some sort of slowdown/crash but this is getting rediculous. This decending into silly season speculative nonsense.

bogwarrior said:
not being uptodate with the wonderful workings of the estate agent business, I don't understand the concept of estate agents refusing to sell houses in certain areas because they have too many already on their books (other than not having the staff to show them off).

Wouldn't they prefer to have at least the possibility of earning the commission on a sale rather than it going to another estate agent or the seller? or am i missing something really obvious here? (hey its a Friday afternoon!)
Most viewings are done in the evenings and weekend. They simply would not have enough staff to give the viewings.

Howitzer said:
These are the worst attempts at manufacturing statistics I've seen in quite a while.
And its 14101 now. This is not manufactured , anybody can search it and can easily confirm my figures OR OTHERWISE . I manufactured nothing and am in a real sense only the messenger. Can you explain whey the figures continually rise as distinct from otherwise ...unlike houses for rent which bobble up and down a bit.

The number of properties for sale is basically rising as we speak .

Wait untill theres significant and less anecdotal evidence, daft is getting more popular for selling,its users/sellers are increasing, your stats prove nothing tbh.

Howitzer said:
These are the worst attempts at manufacturing statistics I've seen in quite a while. I know some people are dying to see some sort of slowdown/crash but this is getting rediculous. This decending into silly season speculative nonsense.

Is it a speculative boom in statistics making or not? The begrudgers and doom-mongers say the yield is tiny on these unaffordable stats while the optimists and blue-sky-positivists say, "sure we have to have stats somewhere" and "spending money without stats is just dead money" etc....

Howitzer said:
20% of the posters here don't believe you.:p

Howitzer said:
However, I tend to agree with you. There is no real way to find out. EA's won't release sensitive information relating to how long a property is unsold for. If they did, people would avoid using them

Howitzer said:

Mind you, the

"You can't lose on property" and "property prices always rise" and "sure it's different here" are all scarily familiar for some reason, and about as founded on reality as the wish for property price falls.

Calina said:
"You can't lose on property" and "property prices always rise" and "sure it's different here" are all scarily familiar for some reason, and about as founded on reality as the wish for property price falls.
I feel I'm on the stats ladder now.

Up 16 in less than 1 hour.

A 0.1% increase in properties available nationally in under one hour .

2Pack said:
I feel I'm on the stats ladder now.

Up 16 in less than 1 hour.

A 0.1% increase in properties available nationally in under one hour .

And what were the equivalent numbers at 14:11 7th July 2005, 2004, 2003?

Howitzer said:
My indexing started less than an Hour ago.

No falls in property available were seen, the only trend from reading to reading was up.

Its now 14107 .

Howitzer said:
Exactly, stop posting these things unless you have comparitive stats and control for all factors which could cause aberrations.

2Pack said:
My indexing started less than an Hour ago.

No falls in property available were seen, the only trend from reading to reading was up.

Its now 14107 .

Are there any seasonal variables we should take into account while analysing these figures?

Delighted to report a downtick for the first time in my survey .

, but still up 0.1% nationally since I started an hour back

bogwarrior said:

The first thing an estate agent will ask a vendor when taking on an instruction is “What price are you hoping to achieve?” They ask this question to gauge where to pitch their ‘marketing proposal’. In a market with more vendors than buyers the agent will be reluctant to take on the marketing costs of a ‘no hoper’. Agents want turnover not a listings book full of vendors trying to break price ceilings in their particular neighbourhood.

The mad spurt that was seen at the beginning of the year, (when stellar prices were set); will no doubt be influencing many vendors’ expectations. However we may have passed the peak in the late spring. The good agents will now be busily attempting to alter vendor’s price ambitions.

I can't believe people actually think that this sort of anecdotal analysis is in any way useful. Daft is clearly becoming more popular and HOK which is a very big agent recently started adding its properties to Daft. Other big agents will probably follow suit so I would expect the amount of properties to rise. Also if you wanted to compare figures, you could look at Sherryfitzgerald's website. The amount of properties they have listed in South Dublin have dropped by about 70 in the last month which you would expect at this time of year. Perhaps there may be a slowdown in the outer suburbs but I live in Dublin 6 and can honestly say that properties prices are definitely still rising in the area and there have been some very strong auction results even in the last couple of weeks.

OilKing said:
I wish to congratulate WTTW on his predictions so far. I can remember WTTW predicting last december on another thread on AAM that once rates start going up we would have a "Race against Rates".

I think he called it correctly. www.itulip.com have made similar comments about the U.S. market where rising interest rates started to feed the housing bubble, however this was only temporary and soon the higher rates started to take their toll.

southsideboy said:
Also if you wanted to compare figures, you could look at Sherryfitzgerald's website.
You have totally missed by Point. Sherryfitz CONTROL the entry of properties onto their website .

MyHome deals with EAs too. The EAs CONTROL the entries onto myhome, not the public.

DAFT allows ANYBODY to sell ANYTIME and is a realistic simulation of what is FOR SALE and not of what do the EAs think the market will bear....with the rest stacked up waiting their turn on the sales ladder !

The amount of properties they have listed in South Dublin have dropped by about 70 in the last month which you would expect at this time of year. Perhaps there may be a slowdown in the outer suburbs but I live in Dublin 6 and can honestly say that properties prices are definitely still rising in the area and there have been some very strong auction results even in the last couple of weeks.
I feel 'good' areas, mature suburbs with schools and shops and pubs with no skangers in them , will only turn down after the marginal areas have and expect the slowdown to hit south dublin ...and sherryfitzers core demographic....6 months after its blatantly obvious elsewhere.

You are correct. For now.

sez nobody is listening :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back