Current public sentiment towards the housing market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm talking about 60K NETT, many people would earn in excess of that. Plenty of new cars in the parking lot, never heard of one person who remortgaged to purchase. Usually it's a case of getting a motor loan combined with savings and selling the older model. Not to mention lots of builders and builders wives who have money falling out of their pockets.

I'm definitely in the wrong job. Which is funny in a way because my line of work is supposed to underpin our economy in the future ...

Sweeden allowed free movement from day one. Germany put them off for 7 years(with some exceptions)

yes, but there is a Polish car parked on a building site on my street (I live in Germany) right now, and I heard the guys talking in a language that was not German or English and sounded to my ear like Polish.

As I understand it, anyone from the 10 newbie countries can set up a company in Germany, or any EU15 country and then just employ themselves as self-employed, this does not require a permit.

Of course, setting up a company in Germany is probably pretty much like swimming through bureaucratic treacle but the influx of cheap self-employed labour could be one reason why the German economy has improved this year, spurring interest rate increases.

From what I understand Ireland will not be extending its open door policy to Bulgarian and Romanian workers. One of the guys I work with is Romanian so he has looked into this fairly extensively (by which I mean he asked Noel Ahern).

Anyways, Bulgaria can't really spare any construction workers at present as they are all flat-out building apartments for the Irish fly-to-let brigade.

As an ad on the radio this morning informed me - "in Bulgaria, things are only getting started ..."
Have to disagree. The Bulgarian minimum wage was approx 76euro a month in 2005 (Correct me if I'm wrong!). If the European market opens up then it makes sense that young Bulgarians/Romanians with travel to places like Ireland where we pay 10euro an hour!
With regards preventing EU nationals from travelling to Ireland. Its likely that the EU courts could overturn anything that Noel Ahern tries to do..

Last edited:
yes, but there is a Polish car parked on a building site on my street (I live in Germany) right now, and I heard the guys talking in a language that was not German or English and sounded to my ear like Polish.

As I understand it, anyone from the 10 newbie countries can set up a company in Germany, or any EU15 country and then just employ themselves as self-employed, this does not require a permit.

Of course, setting up a company in Germany is probably pretty much like swimming through bureaucratic treacle but the influx of cheap self-employed labour could be one reason why the German economy has improved this year, spurring interest rate increases.
Yeah your right, theres loads of these people working illegally and as self employed contractors all across central europe. The can drive from poland to france/germany and spend months working illegally there, if they get caught they just get sent home and come back in a few weeks later.many are living in their work vans around brussels and working during day from these vans for weeks at a time.

I'm talking about 60K NETT, many people would earn in excess of that. Plenty of new cars in the parking lot, never heard of one person who remortgaged to purchase. Usually it's a case of getting a motor loan combined with savings and selling the older model. Not to mention lots of builders and builders wives who have money falling out of their pockets.

I work in the same industry as you do - now tell me how many cars in the parking lot cost between €60,000-€100,000 i.e. BMW X5, Landrover, Merc etc. Now think of the people who own them - would they really tell you that they have re-mortgaged to buy a car, of course most of them won't. Sure people driving these cars certainly don't want anyone thinking that they didn't have to borrow to buy them.

Yes, people on 60-100k wages are driving standard cars (20-40k) and paying for them in savings + value of car + loan, but they have income to support them

Now, how about the couple on 20-30k salaries, stretching to pay for the 03 BMW 3 series that are around - these are another sector that are re-mortgaging the house they bought for 250 and the house is now worth 300k - the have already spent the 50k.

Have to disagree. The Bulgarian minimum wage was approx 76euro a month in 2005 (Correct me if I'm wrong!). If the European market opens up then it makes sense that young Bulgarians/Romanians with travel to places like Ireland where we pay 10euro an hour!
With regards preventing EU nationals from travelling to Ireland. Its likely that the EU courts could overturn anything that Noel Ahern tries to do..

The second bit was a joke. The first bit is true. Ireland can block access to Bulgarian and Romanian nationals for seven years as far as I know.

If the European market opens up then it makes sense that young Bulgarians/Romanians with travel to places like Ireland where we pay 10euro an hour!

As far as I know, Ireland and Uk will not let in Romanians to work.

But I didn't think anyone was mooting not letting them travel within the EU. That is, they should have right to travel, as distinct from right to work in any member country.

As I said in an earlier post Germany legally allowed certain types of workers in to their country. This included tilers.
So you had cities with triple the number of tilers as the Poles came in and properly registered themseleves and undercut the German workers by up to 50%.

Mortimer, countries have the right to but up restrictions for up to seven years. Look at Hungary, they just joined in 2004 and yet are not likely to allow new entrants in to their country next year!

Now, how about the couple on 20-30k salaries, stretching to pay for the 03 BMW 3 series that are around - these are another sector that are re-mortgaging the house they bought for 250 and the house is now worth 300k - the have already spent the 50k.
I don't know anyone on 20-30K salaries that own new/almost new BMW's.

I know a guy works as a supervisor in production in pharma company in Cork and what he makes would probably be more than most of the figures listed in the above link. He works 12 hour shifts, including nights and presumably gets overtime and shift bonuses etc.

Not exactly a standard 9-5 then, is it?

I don't think anyone doubts that there are people out there who do make this kind of money - more of them than there probably ever has been in the past.

But the main point was not that everyone with an X5/Merc/etc had remortgaged to buy it, but that some people have done so.

I know a guy works as a supervisor in production in pharma company in Cork and what he makes would probably be more than most of the figures listed in the above link. He works 12 hour shifts, including nights and presumably gets overtime and shift bonuses etc.

That would apply to all salary surveys I would assume. They dont account for bonuses, overtime etc as that is different from company to company.

I don't know anyone on 20-30K salaries that own new/almost new BMW's.

Well I do and my friends do.

People are amazed at where people are getting money, Im not - I know exactly where its coming from and its all linked to property.

Haven't been following all the posts, but what couple on salaries such as these would be buying a car like this? (they would deserve whatevers coming to them thought) I doubt a bank would offer a top-up loan on salaries like that, regardless of equity built up. Open to correction though.

Sure remember people who bought for 200k and there house is worth 300k now - sure they are 100,000 richer eh? They HAVE to spend it you know!

I know two factory workers ( a couple) who drive a new BMW and a new Jeep. Then again, maybe they had a lotto win!

Oops missed the joke! ..
It'll be interesting to see what happens in the New Year with the new countries joining. You can stop them working legally, but experience has shown you can do almost nothing to stop people coming to work illegally...But then again would young Bulgarians/Romanians try to do something like that..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back