Corrib Gas Gardai story

Status
Not open for further replies.
As to people who say "Why didnt someone say thats not on?", in the context of the conversation is was a poor joke in a run of banter, it was clear to all that not serious, so you'd look like a total eejit to go, with your serious head "Ooh, thats not on." Everyone else would look at you like you had 10 heads, and tell you that its obviously a joke.

I dont agree with this Betsy Og and I have no problem with speaking up if I think an inappropriate remark has been made, and I dont care if it makes me look like an eejit.

I have previously told people that their remarks are racist or otherwise derogatory in a work environment (people in a higher position than me) and never once have I been looked at like I have 10 heads. In fact, quite the opposite, the people involved have looked suitably abashed and have taken back what theyve said.

Sometimes it takes someone to speak up to highlight the inappropriate talk and stop it in its tracks. Id never not speak up if I felt what was being said was offensive - and if people thought I was an eejit because of it - well, Ive little concern for the opinion of people who think its ok to speak inappropriately.

Use of Higher Case == shouting.
No problems with a Guard - Hmm, but you are correct, it is an assumption.
You are a bit excitable! But we basically agree.

-> M :)
->Chill and get of the treadmill

Last edited:
truthseeker, Yes, if some thought I has said something inappropriate, I would be delighted if they would say it to me so I could retract, explain or apologise.

Horusd - 'If a Garda joked that they would love to hang that particular traveller or n***er in their custody would/could we find that acceptable? You are comparing apples & oranges'

The above sentence is the exact moment where reason has left the building. If any of the guards said 'I would love to rape the woman in custody' I think we would be looking at a completely different scenario. What actually happened if we can stick to that is that they made fun of the scene that they had previously encountered. I don't know why you throw travellers or derogatory terms into your argument, but I would be just as horrified to hear them say they wanted to hang your average white man as much as any ethnic group. It is sentances like yours above that highlights how little thought people give to making startling assumptions.

Mongat, either I have the wrong glasses on or you are mistaken in thinking I used upper case. But let's leave it at that! I'm very chilled, but a good barney gets the blood going, so no problemo ! :)

Sorry Betsy Og, but Im taking you up on a point you made again - it isnt personal!

But I'm not their Mammy, they have a right to free speech as long as they're not hurting anyone. So should we take it upon ourselves to re-educate them??, and how successful do you think we'd be???

A friend of my hubby's made a joke about rape in front of me. I found it really offensive and told him - even though it did make me feel uncomfortable doing it but Id feel worse if i didnt.

We dont need to try and re-educate people, just let it be known that there things that can offend people. If we can try and make our feelings known - in a rational, reasonable way - I think it benefits society...there have to be some boundaries

A colleague of mine (higher up) has an unfortunate phrase about unforseen problems "the n-word in the woodpile", now I know he doesnt mean anything by it, by I recall one day saying to him - in a ****take fashion - "I prefer the term African American".

So it just illustrates my point that appearing puritanical, as would seem to be the way advocated here, isnt necessarily the only way. If someone didnt intend to offend, or were just joking/messing, I think its a bit OTT to go ballistic, or go on major guilt trips about it.

Eeny, meeny, miny, moe,
Catch the nigger by the toe.
If he squeals let him go,
Eeny, meeny, miny, moe,

That's what we had back when I was a child.
Don't think we even knew what it meant.

What do the kids use these days, any parents here?

Last edited:
Eeny, meeny, miny, moe,
Eeny, meeny, miny, moe,

my young nephew says "catch the tiger by the toe"
It was nigger in my day as well but in fairness that was back when there wasn't 1 black child in the school. And we didn't know what nigger meant.

Eeny, meeny, miny, moe,
Eeny, meeny, miny, moe,

I am deeply offended. How do we know you are not in a position of power where you can grab African American people by their toes until they squeal?

Not intending to offend is not an excuse for offending.

I think its relevant to the culpability though - isnt intent the difference between murder and manslaughter, a straight red versus a yellow or a cautionary word.

Plus, depending on the breath of the audience, there will be the serially offended, and those offended on behalf of others. So maybe people should either harden up a little bit, dont put themselves in an environment where they might hear anything they wouldnt like, or best yet accept that people will say foolish things & make your point if you must but dont read too much into it if it was something said in jest.

Quote: "Not intending to offend is not an excuse for offending." truthseeker

Different cultures - what is not offensive in one may be in another so Yes there may be an excuse for offending,

What about Robinsons Jam, B&W minstrel show, none of these were meant to give offence but were changed when society decided they may do so.

We are all Off Track - lightening bolt coming from Moderator.

Think this debate has run its course here.

Last edited:
I'm a bit horrified by many people's reaction to this story.

The Gardaí in question didn't joke about having sex with a woman. They joked about RAPE.

Would you be so dismissive/accepting if they'd joked about beating the living day daylights out of someone?

Would you be so dismissive/accepting if they'd joked about beating the living day daylights out of someone?

Of course I would. I say I am going to kill people all the time. Nobody is dismissing or accepting anything. We all agree that the comments were stupid. I simply want to know why Prime Time decide to do a piece on it, it is on front page of our national media, politicians are commenting in the Dail, there are two investigations, Amnesty International are sending people to the Corrib, the women involved are holding press conferences saying local people are in danger. All this because of stupid immature tasteless remarks made between three men.

I understand that Enda Kenny told a joke using the N word as the Yanks put it.
Disgraceful I say. He should be made resign.

Everyone please get a grip. Its no wonder our political masters can get away with their incompetence when the nation gets engrossed on something like this

Didn't Mary O'Rourke thank her canvessers after the 2007 election for "Working like blacks"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back