Corrib Gas Gardai story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Different cultures - what is not offensive in one may be in another so Yes there may be an excuse for offending,

Is there any culture in which rape is considered ok and something to be joked about?

What about Robinsons Jam, B&W minstrel show, none of these were meant to give offence but were changed when society decided they may do so.

This is more to do with something once not seen as offensive becoming offensive as peoples attitudes change over time.

I dont think that rape could be bundled into the same category - its a violent crime punishable by law - the comparisons with racism of the past where the offensive word/idea was a label rather than an act - arent quite the same.

What about Robinsons Jam, B&W minstrel show, none of these were meant to give offence but were changed when society decided they may do so.

I don't know those examples.
But I remember reading the Famous Five and the Secret Seven. Sure I bet many here read Enid Blython.

And nowadays you get complaints about using golliwoggs in books.
But it was written in the language of the day, the reprints get edited now.

Bit offtopic from the Corrib story

Well it looks like those of us who found the remarks to be unacceptable,have been proven correct,as according to TV3, four of the five have been confined to indoor duty's at a different station,,and the fifth one confined to his own station on indoor duty..for now

Glad to see that at least some members of the Gardai and some members of the public have seen this to be unacceptable and not a culture that should be encouraged..
http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0407/corrib.html

They have acknowledged to the Superintendent that carried out the inquiry that the comments were unacceptable and should not have been made, it is believed.

Eh, where did anyone in the 5 pages of this thread say they found these comments acceptable or even remotely funny? What many people can't understand is the hysterical reaction. I notice victim groups after initial condemnation let it drop but today we have press conferences from shell to sea calling for international inquiries, accusing unnamed guards of punching women in the stomach and saying that local women were in danger.

Quote: Is there any culture in which rape is considered ok and something to be joked about? - truthseeker

That question I cannot answer and I would guess neither can you.

Quote: I dont think that rape could be bundled into the same category - its a violent crime punishable by law - the comparisons with racism of the past where the offensive word/idea was a label rather than an act - arent quite the same. Truthseeker

Yes, you are correct - "its a violent crime punishable by law"

So what do you suggest we do then - sack them in disgrace, impoverish their families, maybe we can exile them on an island.

Quote: "Well it looks like those of us who found the remarks to be unacceptable,have been proven correct," - thedaras

Can those of us that found it acceptable Step Forward? ( I don't anyone did)

Quote: "Eh, where did anyone in the 5 pages of this thread say they found these comments acceptable or even remotely funny?" - Sunny

EXACTLY my point +1

Well it looks like those of us who found the remarks to be unacceptable,have been proven correct,as according to TV3, four of the five have been confined to indoor duty's at a different station,,and the fifth one confined to his own station on indoor duty..for now

Glad to see that at least some members of the Gardai and some members of the public have seen this to be unacceptable and not a culture that should be encouraged..
http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0407/corrib.html

They have acknowledged to the Superintendent that carried out the inquiry that the comments were unacceptable and should not have been made, it is believed.

I would imagine the disciplinary action is more down to public relations rather than proof that those who yelped in righteous indignation were correct.

Yes, I think common sense prevailed and now what next for the Bleeding Hearts Club?

Last edited:
the shell to sea crowd are milking it for all it's worth, that girl on tv tonight I doubt is afraid of anything. The gardai made a silly , inappropriate joke and that's about all it is. It's being made into a mountain of an event when it's just a molehill.

What exactly does everyone want? What punishment do they think is appropriate for 5 men making a very rude dirty joke in private?

The shell to sea protestors are looking worse and worse by the day, it's obvious that they are using this bit of tape to draw attention to their protest.
People should be more offended by their actions than the garda conversation, they are using the shock value of the word rape to gain publicity for their campaign, that's something i find more disgusting and callous than the original conversation.

111 complaints against the Gardai by Shell to Sea etc have ben found by the Garda Ombudsman to be unfounded. This is an indepeendent body established to investigate complaints against police.
Shell to Sea don't accept this. Is it only independent when it rules in your favour or maybe most if not all the complaints are nuisance complaints ?

The shell to sea protestors are looking worse and worse by the day, it's obvious that they are using this bit of tape to draw attention to their protest.
People should be more offended by their actions than the garda conversation, they are using the shock value of the word rape to gain publicity for their campaign, that's something i find more disgusting and callous than the original conversation.

I have been considering how to respond to this thread but that just summed it up perfectly for me.

Yep, I'm with Ciarella also. I wonder if these two protesters ever have children of their own and if their children go to university and if they (the children) enjoy the usual copious amount of pints on a Thursday night with their friends from college and if they become somewhat boisterous afterwards . . . would they be clamouring for forgiveness from the recipients of their noise.

I have never seen a country like dear ol' Ireland for making sacred cows of nothingness.

I see the crusties scrubbed up and made their way to Dublin for a bit of an auld protest today.

I find it odd that the name of one the women was 'leaked' to the media by the Gardai but the names of the three Gardai who had the conversation was not. I think it shows that certain journalists see their role as being the public voice of the Gardai and report exactly what they are told by them. The Evening Herald would be a prime example of this.

The Gardai have great powers over the personal liberty of people - and for that reasons they also gave a great responsibility.

in the full length recording at the time of the womens arrests one of the women says she does not want her friend left alone with the gardai, quote "im not letting her go, shes not safe with him", maybe they were taking p**s out of that particular womens comment, i.e what does she think we will do?? rape her friend if she does not give her name and address??!!...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back