Corrib Gas Gardai story

Status
Not open for further replies.
As women represent the vast majority of rape cases, and as ali is speaking from her own experience and probably that of many women, it is neither sexist or paranoid, it's just plain true from her perspective and she has a valid right to say it. In fact, she has taken considerable time to try and explain why she feels as she feels, and that should not be dismissed, rather it should be understood, which is clearly her intention.

As it happens, and I only mention it because it has been raised by ali, I am a man, but I can fully appreciate her sentiments. The key point made here, again and again, is this is not a trivial matter. I don't want any Garda's head on a plate, or his job, but this is not an issue to be blithely dimissed. And the Garda Commissioner, fair play to him, has been quick out of the traps to say that it won't be. This is definitely my last post on it. Enuf said.

Of course it is sexist. Men consider in some cases that assault is a worse offence than rape! sure sounds like a sweeping generalisation of a gender. As a man believe it or not I can expand my thought processes to include the well being of others. I often tell my oh if she is going away with friends or out without me to not come home alone, and if anything happens to stay put because while I don't expect her to get raped, I don't want any chance to be taken because once it has happened it is not something that can be fixed (she laughs at me for being paranoid - go figure). I would also consider sexual crimes to be the worst purely because of the emotional carnage that long outlasts the physical.

Far more women than men get raped and men are generally the perpetrators of this crime. As you say there is supposed to be a high level of unreported rape, but unfortunately there is also alot of girls who cry wolf and it is the use of claim of rape to further a cause, damage a reputation or to alleviate oneself from guilt that stands to create to greatest injustice.

If we want to argue about rape and justice, argue about stronger sentances for actual rapists, strong sentances for those who lie about being raped and argue less about the rights and wrongs of a stupid conversation.
Guards do have power, but they are also human and fallible, they didn't commit a crime and that is the bottom line.

The reaction of women to rape is very different to that of men. Men (I think) consider rape akin to a lesser offence than murder and probably sometimes, depending on the violence of the offence, to a lesser offence than a serious physical assault. .

I wouldn't make such an assumption about men. I think that's insulting to men.

"Guards do have power, but they are also human and fallible, they didn't commit a crime and that is the bottom line."
+1

"I wouldn't make such an assumption about men. I think that's insulting to men."
+1

"Didnt one of the posters say it was "laddish" behavior to joke about rape?"

So you then make a sweeping generlisation to include all men!! - That is sexist.

And yes Ali is paranoid.

Didnt one of the posters say it was "laddish" behavior to joke about rape?

Laddish behaviour is seen as often in women as in men these days. The advent of the ladette a decade or so ago has shown that boorish behaviour doesn't exist only in one gender.

thedaras
"Didnt one of the posters say it was "laddish" behavior to joke about rape?"

monagt
So you then make a sweeping generlisation to include all men!! - That is sexist.

What are you talking about?, where did I make this sweeping generalisation?Where did I day "all men"?

monagt
And yes Ali is paranoid.

Really you need to calm down, ,calling someone paranoid,is uncalled for.

"But let's not spoil the wet dreams of those who insist on posting about inter-bank bond ratings on a message board that has nothing whatsoever to do with inter-bank bonds."

"wet dreams",and it wasn't on the depths..interesting to see that most people dont in fact use these type of terms on here ..there is no need for it..

Also if you want to get into generalisations ,how about this one?

monagt
females can be a bit messy but easier on your property than beer drinking/take away males. (I know its a generalisation but its experience talkin)

"wet dreams",and it wasn't on the depths..interesting to see that most people dont in fact use these type of terms on here ..there is no need for it..

Also if you want to get into generalisations ,how about this one?

monagt

Monagt did indeed make a generalisation in another unrelated thread, and again i would say that it is another incorrect generalisation

WOW, what an investigation and a personal attack.

When you are wrong you're wrong, get over it.

The "wet dreams" and "inter-bank bonds" must have been a quote from a newspaper or web site as these are not words I use, can you point me to the actual post?

And the second was an observation based on lots of personal experience renting properties.

If thats the best you can come up with. ;)

Thx Truthseeker ;)

I checked the link so I'm off the hook on that one, an apology from
thedaras will I presume come in time.

Anyway, we are way of track and enuff has been said about the topic.

monagt out; :)

Here is how your post went.I might add that if you choose to use" quotes" and they are not yours ,it would be an idea to mention who the quote is from,otherwise its taken that the quote is yours as can be seen below.

monagt
Frequent Poster

monagt
"But let's not spoil the wet dreams of those who insist on posting about inter-bank bond ratings on a message board that has nothing whatsoever to do with inter-bank bonds."

Everything is connected - if I had taken action to protect my pensions and investments when I saw Northern Rock investors going into panic, I would be a less poorer man today.

We were warned about sub prime years ago, we were warned about the inverse yield on the bonds, we were warned by Morgan Kelly (2006)............................................ .

Its all about Lemmings

It still leaves the fact that you have "generalised " yourself as per this;

Monagt;Posts: 103
Re: Advice Required on renting to Students
Any references from 1st yr digs?
Are they male or female - females can be a bit messy but easier on your property than beer drinking/take away males. (I know its a generalisation but its experience talkin)
And yes thanks Truthseeker for pointing that out;)

Hey folks, This whole topic is getting out of hand. I think the matter has been discussed to the nth degree. Time to call a halt, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back