Calling women "Girls"

Because there are people who seem to make a lifetime career out of taking offence to just about anything. I like to think they are in the minority, but at times I wonder!
I'd be offended if a colleague referred to me as a boy in a formal work context and I certainly don't make a lifetime career out of taking offence to just about anything.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/viewpo...ar-adult-women-described-as-girls-455912.html
Article on the subject here. I don't agree really. I do get the theory but really think it's a cultural thing. I don't think it's meant in a derogatory way but a "night out with the women" doesn't really work!
I fully agree that language is important and how it's used shapes our thinking but I don't think the intention with this is to reduce women. It may be my age though and a sign of how everything evolves

Last edited:
http://www.irishexaminer.com/viewpo...ar-adult-women-described-as-girls-455912.html
Article on the subject here. I don't agree really. I do get the theory but really think it's a cultural thing. I don't think it's meant in a derogatory way but a "night out with the women" doesn't really work!
I fully agree that language is important and how it's used shapes our thinking but I don't think the attention with this is to reduce women. It may be my age though and a sign of how everything evolves
I would say there are lots of Police woman who would have a night out with the girls when the return to work the would not be referred to as Police girls,

I would say there are lots of Police woman who would have a night out with the girls when the return to work the would not be referred to as Police girls,

Technically they would be police officers not police women which is exactly what it should be. I do understand the sentiment of the article and really feel having grown up hearing about "firemen" "businessmen" "policemen" and how limiting that is; I get the notion of language shaping our views. For some reason I just don't get that feeling with being referred to as a girl.

On the contrary, I sometime get referred to as the "lady" or addressed as "Ladies" on a group email and it makes my toes curl. It's right up there with "panties" as a cringey word!

Last edited:
Technically they would be police officers not police women. I do understand the sentiment of the article and really feel having grown up hearing about "firemen" "businessmen" "policemen" and how limiting that is; I get the notion of language shaping our views. For some reason I just don't get that feeling with being referred to as a girl.

On the contrary, I sometime get referred to as the "lady" or addressed as "Ladies" on a group email and it makes my toes curl. It's right up there with "panties" as a cringey word!
It is only cringey if people allow themselves to be addressed that way.If some one referred to a police woman as a police girl I don't think man or woman or police man police woman would be happy seeing them addressed as such,

For some reason I just don't get that feeling with being referred to as a girl.
If you were in a work environment and your boss referred to you as a girl in a formal business meeting would you be okay with that?
The old one of referring to a shop assistant as a girl, even if she is in her 50's or 60's, creates an impression that the man or men working in the shop must be more important. After all, how could a girl be in charge of a man?
If you wouldn't refer to a female judge as a girl then you shouldn't refer to a female shop assistant as a girl.
What friends call each other in a social setting is of course a totally different matter.

If you were in a work environment and your boss referred to you as a girl in a formal business meeting would you be okay with that?
The old one of referring to a shop assistant as a girl, even if she is in her 50's or 60's, creates an impression that the man or men working in the shop must be more important. After all, how could a girl be in charge of a man?
If you wouldn't refer to a female judge as a girl then you shouldn't refer to a female shop assistant as a girl.
What friends call each other in a social setting is of course a totally different matter.

You're right of course. I don't disagree with any of that.I would certainly not refer to an older woman as a girl. I'm not in my 50's or 60's and I probably look younger than I am but I don't doubt that I would object to the term if I was older. Equally, I wouldn't use the term if I was speaking to a female in a work situation whom I don't know personally.
In relation to work meetings, I'm in a reasonably senior position and would never be referred to as a girl by male colleagues but as it's a women heavy environment, we'd frequently refer to each other with the term.
I guess the moral of the story is it depends who is using the word and their relative position / relationship to you.

It is only cringey if people allow themselves to be addressed that way.If some one referred to a police woman as a police girl I don't think man or woman or police man police woman would be happy seeing them addressed as such,

I agree completely. Official positions should be gender neutral - officer being the case in point. No need for a Ban garda / chairman. CEO or equivalent is better.

Reactions: jjm
No need for a Ban garda / chairman. CEO or equivalent is better.

Chairman and CEO are two different roles, both offices can and at times are held by the same person, but they're not interchangeable.

Yes, I know. Chairperson often used when it's a woman but Chairman often when it's a man. Chairwoman is a mouthful.
Probably a better descriptor needed.
I remember when Carmencita Hederman was Lord Mayor and was asked if the title was sexist and she replied something like:
If I was to change that, I'd have to call myself, Lady Mayor Car - people - cita Heder - person.

Well one thing I am defo against is this habit of describing someone (sadly usually a victim of a certain type of crime) as a 'young girl' even though they are well into their teens.
They are either a girl or a young woman, they are not 'young girls'.

Back