Calling women "Girls"

I don't think it's being used in a sexist way... I think it just reflects that there's clearly some missing 'informal' words to compare with e.g. bloke, guy, chap, geezer, lad, gent. I would say "the guy\bloke\chap on the counter will sort you out" ... but, for want a better word "the lady on the desk will sort you out", even though it seems too formal. Lady is the equivalent of gentleman, not 'bloke'.

It all depends on context and knowing your audience. I have a team of 8 in work who range in age from about 8 years younger than me to about 20 years older, but it's a close-knit group and everyone knows the boundaries of what is and isn't acceptable. I have been known to refer to them as girls and boys and occasionally my children!

I suspect that there are previous posters that would be absolutely horrified by this, but I know my staff and they give as good as they get!!

In a more formal situation however eg management meetings or dealing with outside parties I wouldn't dream of using casual language.

One of the biggest problems is people just waiting to take offence at the slightest thing (usually completely indoctrinated university students).

Even in Canada now it could be a crime if you call someone by the wrong pronoun, how crazy is that!

The reality is that most of the people who call women 'girls' are other women.

"The reality is thatmost of the people who call women 'girls' are other women"

Fascinated to know where you sourced the data to support this assertion?

"The reality is thatmost of the people who call women 'girls' are other women"

Fascinated to know where you sourced the data to support this assertion?

Well I don't call women girls, all the guys I know call women,...well 'women' not girls

My wife does the 'girl' thing and I have two sisters and a mother who frequently call their friends "the girls".

Anyway what the hell does it matter, the only people who seem to care about this nonsense are completely indoctrinated liberal students or people who are so misogynistic they think that women will act like children if they are called girls.

Your post is a perfect example of why it matters.

Treating women like adults seems to disturb you.

I'll bet you are a feminist.

Maybe a course of videos watching people like Janice Fiamengo, Janet Bloomfield, Karen Straughtan (my personal favourite), Elizabeth Hobson, or a string of other strong women who know this is a non-issue like most White middle class feminist causes.

It is hardly any wonder feminism is under attack from other strong people who believe women are not as fragile as feminists want them to believe.

Equality means treating people (no matter which of the two genders that exist) like adults.

Just an aside to the original post in this thread. I never really noticed before this thread but have noticed quite a bit since that I regularly get called boy by friends around town. It doesn't bother me in the slightest (and the fact I didn't even notice it before this thread just shows how little it matters to me).

Just an aside to the original post in this thread. I never really noticed before this thread but have noticed quite a bit since that I regularly get called boy by friends around town. It doesn't bother me in the slightest (and the fact I didn't even notice it before this thread just shows how little it matters to me).
Does your boss call you boy in work?

Yes, it was. The examples I gave in the first post were all work related.
Fair enough, that wasn't how I read your question but if that's what you meant then you can ignore my reply above.

You probably should retitle the thread to "Boss calling female employees girls" though Purple as most posts on this thread refer to examples outside the workplace so if your question is specifically related to women being referred to as girls by their boss then I'm not the only one who missed this in the original post.

Last edited:
Fair enough, that wasn't how I read your question but if that's what you meant then you can ignore my reply above.

You probably should retitle the thread to "Boss calling female employees girls" though Purple as most posts on this thread refer to examples outside the workplace so if your question is specifically related to women being referred to as girls by their boss then I'm not the only one who missed this in the original post.
The question is about women being called girls in a work environment. That could be by by members of the public or their boss or fellow employees.

Ok, If anyone out there has the answer please put us all out of our misery........what should women be called in the workplace????

Ok, If anyone out there has the answer please put us all out of our misery........what should women be called in the workplace????

What should men be called in the workplace?
How about not calling them 'boy'?
I'll ask again; Would any man out there be happy if their employer or a customer or a workmate in a formal environment referred to them as a boy? I know I wouldn't. I'm just asking why some women seem to think it's okay to be referred to as a girl in similar circumstances.
My mother always referred to women in shops as girls, i.e. "Ask that girl if they have it in your size", even though the "Girl" in question could be 50.
There's no way she's refer to a man in his 50's as a boy.

Because there are people who seem to make a lifetime career out of taking offence to just about anything. I like to think they are in the minority, but at times I wonder!

Back