Best Tv Set Top Cable Box?

For the last time, I am not reffering to breaking the encryption. I am referring to the OP being told its illegal and its a criminal offence before any mention of watching scrambled channels. Further more upon checking I can tell you not all channels on the digital platform on NTL are encrypted. You can view the channels that are on the basic package

Not myself but try this. A NTL box without a card or A Starivew or similar with EMU key off
Could it be there is free to air on NTL after all?????????????????????????????????????

Not myself but try this. A NTL box without a card or A Starivew or similar with EMU key off
Could it be there is free to air on NTL after all?????????????????????????????????????

Is it the 'free' part or 'air' part that confuses you ?

Neither.
You stated first off that there was no legal option except NTL.
Thats been proved wrong
You stated its a criminal offence to use anything other than a NTL box
Thats been proved wrong.
You stated that using any other box without breaking the encryption would not show anything.
Thats been proved wrong.
I dont think its me thats confused

Its not free because you pay to get the cable.

The question really is can you (legally) connect anything other than NTL equipment to their network. Based on their T&C the answer is no. Breaking a contract is illegal in that you can be taken to court and sued for it. That said, the NTL T&C don't make much sense. As taken literally you can't connect a TV to it then either. How enforceable this is legally then is unclear. You'd have to ask on a Legal forum. Paying for it means you accept the T&C of the contract too.

You don't know that the NTL, or any other box is doing with the basic channels, maybe its decoding them automatically with a different encyption thats built into the box. You can't say for certainty that its not decrypting anything. Saying it isn't proving it, as you don't know whats happening inside the box.

Its not free because you pay to get the cable.
Sorry but I could have swore sombody said it would show nothing. Now when I say it does you have another excuse.

Saying it isn't proving it,
Exactly. Also saying something is illegal does not make it so.
Breaking a contract means you can be taken court correct. That does not make it illegal. As I'm sure you know a contract can not supercede the law. If a precedent is set in the courts then it most likely would become law.

Yourself & jhegerty really are getting yourselves all worked up when I have said time & time again the only point I am arguing is the firse 2 statements

there is no legal option except NTL
and
its a criminal offence to use anything other than a NTL box

If you insist in saying those statements are correect please state what Law is being broken.

Sorry but I could have swore sombody said it would show nothing. Now when I say it does you have another excuse.

I was talking about it being free. End of. It can't be free if you have to pay for it. Can't be simplier than that. I dunno how that is an excuse. Or what exactly thats an excuse for.

What you see is a different issue. You don't know why you see something, or if its decypting the basic channels or not. Your assuming it doesn't. I don't know either way.

You really need to ask NTL directly can you connect a cable decoder that doesn't do decryption, (if you can find one) to a NTL subscription that you pay for. So you can get extra features like a PVR, or just works better than NTL's DVR. As you'd be avoiding renting NTL's DVR I can't imagine they'll be keen on the idea. Even if you can find someone there who knows what they are talking about tbh.

Any NTL STB/PVR I've used have been pretty slow, and annoying to use. So I can see why you'd want to use a different one, legally. I just don't see that NTL will allow you to do it. If you find out let us know.

Breaking a contract means you can be taken court correct. That does not make it illegal. ...

I thought it did. I'm no legal expert. How can you be taken to court if its not illegal. Its contract law. No? You are legally bound.

I was talking about it being free. End of. It can't be free if you have to pay for it.
I have already stated I pay for the basic package
What you see is a different issue. You don't know why you see something, or if its decypting the basic channels or not. Your assuming it doesn't. I don't know either way.
How many times have I said thats irrelevant. If I plug a hair dryer into it it doesnt matter. The only thing I,m saying is its NOT Illegal.
You still havn't answered what law is being broken if it is illegal.

I thought it did. I'm no legal expert.
You thought a contract can supercede the law???

How can you be taken to court if its not illegal..
LOL for gods sake. If you won the lotto I could take you to court for half claiming you promised me by writing so on the back of a beer mat one night. That would be a contract. Would it be legally binding???

I have already stated I pay for the basic package

By that logic the bus is free if you have a ticket.

How many times have I said thats irrelevant. If I plug a hair dryer into it it doesnt matter. The only thing I,m saying is its NOT Illegal.
You still havn't answered what law is being broken if it is illegal.

I thought did. I think its Contract law no?

You thought a contract can supercede the law???

I didn't say that. But since you brought it up.
What law is the contract superseding?

LOL for gods sake. If you won the lotto I could take you to court for half claiming you promised me by writing so on the back of a beer mat one night. That would be a contract. Would it be legally binding???

AFAIK. Yes. You don't even have to write it down.

"Offer and acceptance does not always need to be expressed orally or in writing. "

By that logic the bus is free if you have a ticket.
I have siad I pay for the channels I recieve & that I dont want to recieve anything I dont pay for.
Its in about 5 posts I dont know whats confusing you, & I sure as hell don't know what its got to do with the bus.
I didn't say that. But since you brought it up.
What law is the contract superseding?
???? Its not that what I'm saying

"Offer and acceptance does not always need to be expressed orally or in writing. "
Total off the point but your right. But that does not necessarily mean you are breaking the law just because you breach a contract. Thats for the courts to decide.
Or do you presume everyone who is taken to court has broken the law?
I thought the basis of our judicial system was innocent untill proven guilty.

I have siad I pay for the channels I recieve & that I dont want to recieve anything I dont pay for.
Its in about 5 posts I dont know whats confusing you, & I sure as hell don't know what its got to do with the bus..

I'll stop talking about buses if you stop calling it free, or free to air. Basically stop using terms you don't know the meaning of. Its very confusing.

if you are going to make up terms don't use terms that actually mean something else entirely. Call it NTL Go Digital Value. Thats its proper name.

???? Its not that what I'm saying.

What are you saying? What do you mean by superseding?

Total off the point but your right. But that does not necessarily mean you are breaking the law just because you breach a contract. Thats for the courts to decide.
Or do you presume everyone who is taken to court has broken the law?
I thought the basis of our judicial system was innocent untill proven guilty.

When you say "Law" which Law are you talking about?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law

How is breaching a contract, not breaking contract law?

When you say "Law" which Law are you talking about?
The laws of the Land. Which are you talking about.

Look forget everything else & put away the dictionary.
The 2 points again are:

The only legal choice is the one NTL provide.
and
it's a criminal offense to use any non ntl box on their network.

Please just answer the questions yes or no!
Do you consider those statements correct?
If yes can you please state the law thats been broken . Not the contract the actual law that is been broken.
If yes then are you saying every NTL customer is commiting a criminal offence?

Copyright and Related Acts 2000 - Section 372

Have I done any of the below??????

charged for the reception of programmes included in a broadcast or cable programme service, or
sent encrypted transmissions of any other description,
Have I
made sold, rented or lent, or offered or exposed for sale, rental or loan any copyrighted material
imported into the State any copyrighted material

have I possession, custody or control of
any apparatus or protection-defeating device, knowing or having reason to believe that the apparatus or device is to be used to enable or assist persons to receive those programmes or transmissions when those persons are not so entitled
Have I
Provided information, or offers or performs any service, intended to enable or assist persons to receive those programmes or transmissions when those persons are not so entitled

This the relevant line here. If you are braking your contract with NTL then you are in breach of the act because you are then not entitled to view the transmission.

Might say it's not fair (I agree) , but that's the way it works.

any apparatus or protection-defeating device, knowing or having reason to believe that the apparatus or device is to be used to enable or assist persons to receive those programmes or transmissions when those persons are not so entitled

I am entitled to recieve the service I am paying for.
I am not in possession of..
A contract has to be terminated by one of the 2 parties myself or NTL, other as long as they are accepting my payment for their services I am entitled to recieve that service.

Yes , but I am entitled to recieve untill the contract is cancelled by myself or NTL.
Which I am sure ( not positive though) must be in writing.
If breach of T&Cs is an automatic cancellation of contract then virtually every NTL customers contract is cancelled & they are all breaking the law you are quoting?
If so it back to the question I asked above
If yes then are you saying every NTL customer is commiting a criminal offence?

Back