Best Tv Set Top Cable Box?

No because the NTL network. The physical cable, is NOT FTA. Can you get it without ANY NTL equipment. No you need their cable, their network. Therefore its not FTA.
Sorry FTA may be the wrong phrase. By FTA what I mean is stations you have paid for and are entitled to view, either free or trough basic subscription.
What I am trying to convey from the start is it is NTLs T&Cs that say you can't connect any equipmet to their network. This does not make it illegal.

End of the day you're not allowed to do it.
As I,ve already said taking that as law then you are not allowed connect a TV , a DVR, or even a signal booster to the network.
Its not illegal it breaks the T&C's.
Exactly!!!! Therfore
The only legal choice is the one NTL provide
is not correct.

Sorry FTA may be the wrong phrase. By FTA what I mean is stations you have paid for and are entitled to view, either free or trough basic subscription.
What I am trying to convey from the start is it is NTLs T&Cs that say you can't connect any equipmet to their network. This does not make it illegal.

As I,ve already said taking that as law then you are not allowed connect a TV , a DVR, or even a signal booster to the network.

Exactly!!!! Therfore

is not correct.

But you either have a box which breaks ntl's encryption or you don't. There is no digital box (on cable) that only shows the channels you paid for.

The very big difference between sky and ntl is that ntl have a network, sky does not.

Sky only rent space an a satellite, ntl own the cable going into your house.

This is why NTL can legally force you to use thier box , but sky can not.

But you either have a box which breaks ntl's encryption or you don't. There is no digital box (on cable) that only shows the channels you paid for.
There is. So if this box is not decoding any subscription channels how is it illegal?

For petes sake. Thats not FTA. Whats the point of trying to talk about this if you don't even know the basic terms.

This is last time I'm saying it because you just aren't listening.

Anything that decrypts a signal is illegal.
Anything else is against their T&C's.

It doesn't matter anyway. You can't buy a box that doesn't decrypt. You can't buy a set top box that isn't illegal to use on their network. Lets be clear this thread is about set top boxes. Even if you don't know what that means. Don't bother with the line, that you'll use the box and not use the decrypt functionality. Even if it was true, no one is going to believe that. Even assuming you did that its still against their T&C's. So you can't use them.

Ok their, T&C is rubbish. It doesn't cater for anything connecting to the analogue signal. But its obvious this thread is not about analogue equipment. UPC/NTL don't care about that, they are turning it off soon. So stop going on about it.

If you want free TV, then you buy a FTA satellite kit, and get an ariel for the Irish stations. Thats it. No other way.

There is. So if this box is not decoding any subscription channels how is it illegal?

It wouldn't be illegal , just against their terms and conditions.

But it would also be as much use as plugging a toaster into the back of your tv. It wouldn't show any station , weather you pay for them or not. You either break the encryption or your don't.

There is no "i only hacked the channels I paid for".

Anything that decrypts a signal is illegal.
Anything else is against their T&C's.
Exactly ! thats what I have been saying all along
You can't buy a box that doesn't decrypt.
Yes you can
Don't bother with the line, that you'll use the box and not use the decrypt functionality. Even if it was true, no one is going to believe that.
To be clear. I don't want anything for free. I pay for the basic package & thats all I recieve. There are set top boxes that dont break the encryption. Why would you use such a box?? Maybe it has a DVR function maybe it has a HDD. Maybe you want it as a radio reciever to pipe music. The uses are endless, they are also irrelevant. There are also TVs now with a digital reciever, if you buy one of these & you only have an anolouge subscription is the Illegal? No, Is it breaking the T&Cs ? Yes.
So everyone in the country is breaking UPCs T&Cs .. Fact!!
Are all thos people breaking the law??? No.

If you want free TV, then you buy a FTA satellite kit, and get an ariel for the Irish stations. Thats it. No other way.
100% correct As Ive stated I dont want anything for free..

It wouldn't be illegal , just against their terms and conditions.

But it would also be as much use as plugging a toaster into the back of your tv.
There are numerous applications that would be usefull
There is no "i only hacked the channels I paid for".
Ofcourse not. I never said there was.

To clarify my point for people who may not have read the whole thread.
I am not trying to justify illegally recieving channels.
If you recieve these channels without paying that is illegal & you are breaking the law.
Due to UPCs crazy T&Cs every one in the country is breaking those T&Cs, but they are not breaking the law. Therefore because there are other options and applications for which various set to boxes may be used, it is lnot fair to say
The only legal choice is the one NTL provide.
and
it's a criminal offense to use any non ntl box on their network.
Are incorrect statements.

Exactly ! thats what I have been saying all along

You've confused, misused, all sorts of terms, in this thread. FTA, DTT, Legal, Illegal, digital receiver. Used interchangeably which makes no sense. You are confused about the differences between digital cable, digital satellite, DTT, DVB-T, DVB-C etc. For example what do think a digital reciever is exactly?

You also keep quoting posts which you already know to be incorrect. Why I have no idea. What non NTL digital set box box, with PVR for example, can you buy that doesn't functionality to decrypt the signal.

2 Questions which will sum up all of this for you all?
Is an NTL box the only legal box you can connect to their network??????
Legally the answer is no!!
Is it a criminal offence to use any non NTL box on their network ??
No it is not .
It is a criminal offence to use equipment to break the encryption . I have said this all along.
All the rest is irrelevant. People are constantly presuming I am trying to use some equipment illegally. I am not!!
I am simply pointing out 2 statements which are not true.

But its obvious this thread is not about analogue equipment. UPC/NTL don't care about that, they are turning it off soon. So stop going on about it.

when are they actually turning analogue off by the way? is there a date set?

The EU has recommended 2012 as a switch-off date for analogue transmission

No it is not .
It is a criminal offence to use equipment to break the encryption . I have said this all along.
All the rest is irrelevant. People are constantly presuming I am trying to use some equipment illegally. I am not!!

So what exactly would this box that doesn't break the encryption do ?

No it is not .

Does it matter if its criminal. You'd be in breech of contract. Is that irrelevant.

Answer the question.

Whats a digital receiver?
What NTL compatible set top box can you buy that can't decrypt?

Does it matter if its criminal. You'd be in breech of contract. Is that irrelevant.
No but it proves what I said to be correct
Answer the question.

Whats a digital reciever?
A digital receiver converts the digital signal so that you can see and hear channels through your existing television.
What NTL compatiable set top box can you buy that can't decrypt.
Irrelevant to my point but I will humour you anyway!!

The purpose of mysettopbox.tv is to provide you the end user with the knowledge needed to assemble your very own settop box using Linux. Utilizing open source software and off the shelf hardware you'll be able to assemble a box that has the following functions:
  • PVR
  • Jukebox
  • Image viewer
  • Game station

No but it proves what I said to be correct

Well it proves you read the link you were given at the start of this thread. Originally you didn't know what was in the T&C.

A digital receiver converts the digital signal so that you can see and hear channels through your existing television.

Except its a generic term. Unless you the right type of digital receiver you won't see or hear anything. Even if you have the right type of digital reciever, if the signal is encrypted you still won't see or hear anything.

Irrelevant to my point but I will humour you anyway!!

The purpose of mysettopbox.tv is to provide you the end user with the knowledge needed to assemble your very own settop box using Linux. Utilizing open source software and off the shelf hardware you'll be able to assemble a box that has the following functions:
  • PVR
  • Jukebox
  • Image viewer
  • Game station

Thats a piece of software, not hardware, and you can't buy it. But good luck with putting it together. Its not easy, even for someone who knows what they are doing. I know someone with one. Hes using it on Freeview. Which isn't encrypted. But you were originally talking about other boxes...

If I use a Eurovox or Starview with out the EMU key turned on I am simply recieving the stations I have paid for with my basic subscription.
How is that illegal?

Because they decrypt.

AFAIK the NTL digital, is all encrypted, including the channels which are free on analogue. The NTL box decrypts it. If you plug another box with can't do decrypting into it. You will see nothing. AFAIK.

Except its a generic term.
Its a definition. I thought thats what you wanted.
But you were originally talking about other boxes...
I was originally talking about what was illegal & what wasn't

AFAIK the NTL digital, is all encrypted, including the channels which are free on analogue. The NTL box decrypts it. If you plug another box with can't do decrypting into it. You will see nothing. AFAIK.
Which is irrelevant as to it being a criminal offence.
This is what i am disputing.

Back