Best Tv Set Top Cable Box?

Legally you can't use the service UPC provide, because you can't attach anything to it. Classic isn't it! Sadly typical of UPC/NTL.

Legally you can't use the service UPC provide, because you can't attach anything to it. Classic isn't it! Sadly typical of UPC/NTL.

To make matters more interesting, for years Cablelink / RTE Relays were illegally rebroadcasting BBC1/2, UTV and C4. :D

Attaching a decoder or any other device to recieve something for which you have not paid for, or are not entitled to recive is illegal.
Attaching equipment to recive something you have paid for can not be illegal.
You dont hear sky saying you have to use a Sky Digibox.

Attaching a decoder or any other device to recieve something for which you have not paid for, or are not entitled to recive is illegal.
You dont hear sky saying you have to use a Sky Digibox.

My understanding of what upc provides, via cable, is an analog feed and a digital feed. If you want to use the digital feed, you pay upc for a decoder.

If you're suggesting buying an off-the-shelf decoder to decode the upc digital feed, then that would, IMHO, be illegal.

I am unclear what value an off-the-shelf decoder would offer you for reading the upc analog feed, for which you are paying an subscription.

colm said:
If I use a Eurovox or Starview with out the EMU key turned on I am simply recieving the stations I have paid for with my basic subscription.

TarfHead said:
If you're suggesting buying an off-the-shelf decoder to decode the upc digital feed, then that would, IMHO, be illegal.

I am not suggesting that..
That would be illegal ofcourse!

I'm confused :confused: ? What was the question ?

The OP was asking about the best type of box to buy. But the morality police took over.
I was simply trying to point out that it is not illegal to connect equipment to the NTL network if you are only recieving what you are entitled to

The OP was asking about the best type of box to buy. But the morality police took over.
I was simply trying to point out that it is not illegal to connect equipment to the NTL network if you are only recieving what you are entitled to

It's not a question of morality. You are entitled to use the upc digital signal if you have paid for the service. If you have done that, why use a 3rd party decoder, if not to access something for which you have not paid, i.e. not entitled to ?

I have a subscription to upc for their digital service. I could get a Starview box to access SKY Sports or Movies, but that would be illegal as I have not paid upc for access.

If you have a different point, then I'm not getting it ;) !

[sigh]
I have agreed all along it is illegal to recieve channels you have not paid for or are not entitled to.
The only thing I am arguing was people saying outright its illegal to connect anything to the Network except an NTL box.
There is nothing illegal about a digital reciever itself. Whats illegal is the modded software which allows the encrytion to be turned on & off.
My point is the following statements are incorrect
The only legal choice is the one NTL provide.
So If I have paid for Digital service can I not use a different brand of decoder
And it's a criminal offense to use any non ntl box on their network.
If this is true please state what law is being broken
Access to our services via any device other than what has been installed contractually by the company is illegal
If this is true how can you connect your television, DVR etc.

Well lads,i certainly opened up a hornets nest here i think.My question is still unanswered by the way.Chippy

Morality has nothing to do with. Its very simple. Theres 2 different points. People are using terms incorrectly which is why ye are getting mixed up. So pay a bit more attention to how you phrase things will you.

1) It illegal in law to bypass encyption.

2) Its against UPC terms of contact to use a non UPC/NTL box to access their services. Even if you've paid for for those services.

UPC/NTL usually go heavy against any websites/forums talking about it. Boards for example doesn't allow it on their site. They may even ban people talking about it. UPC seem to spend more time talking about that, than actually fixing their problems, and getting decent boxes of their own. Their DVR is painfully slow for example. But its their network and you have to abide by their rules. No one believes you are going to get a non NTL DVR and listen to the radio. Get a grip. You won't sell it to a judge either.

So If I have paid for Digital service can I not use a different brand of decoder

No , you can not. There is no NTL "card" to legally use a third party box. That is difference with sky, they give you a card that can legally by used in other boxes.

If this is true please state what law is being broken

• Broadcasting Act 1990 - Section 9, 10 and 11
  • Copyright and Related Acts 2000 - Section 372
  • EC (Conditional Access) Regulations, 2000 (SI 357 of 2000) - Section 3

If this is true how can you connect your television, DVR etc.

Your analogue tv does not decode a digital signal. If it did then it would be illegal.

No , you can not. There is no NTL "card" to legally use a third party box. That is difference with sky, they give you a card that can legally by used in other boxes.
False!!! Sky cards are matched to a single box. The extra card is an extra subsidised subscription
You are however allowed use any box to recieve free to air stations.

• Broadcasting Act 1990 - Section 9, 10 and 11
  • Copyright and Related Acts 2000 - Section 372
  • EC (Conditional Access) Regulations, 2000 (SI 357 of 2000) - Section 3
Where in that act does it state you must use NTL equipment

Your analogue tv does not decode a digital signal. If it did then it would be illegal.
Irrelevant ! since NTL are claiming
Access to our services via any device other than what has been installed contractually by the company is illegal

...Your analogue tv does not decode a digital signal. If it did then it would be illegal.

The terms and conditions don't allow analogue equipment either. Which is funny. Though obviously its aimed at the digital boxes. Especially the encrypted premium channels.

False!!! Sky cards are matched to a single box. The extra card is an extra subsidised subscription

This is two seperate issues isn't it.

Sky content can be viewed via a sky card in any box.
FTA content can be viewed without a card. Because its nothing to do with Sky.

Where in that act does it state you must use NTL equipment

Did you not read my comment earlier. That is covered by their terms and conditions.

I am sorry, but you don't seem to have any idea what you are talking about.

Sky cards are only locked to one box for movies and sport. There are legal 3rd party boxes to watch a sky subscription channel with a valid sky card.

This is two seperate issues isn't it.
I agree but jhegerty broght it up
FTA content can be viewed without a card
Exactly what I am trying to say all along. FTA content can be viewed using any equipment. Legally the same applies to the NTL network

Did you not read my comment earlier. That is covered by their terms and conditions.
I asked where in the act, not the T&Cs. The act is Law T&Cs do not make something illegal

I am sorry, but you don't seem to have any idea what you are talking about.

Sky cards are only locked to one box for movies and sport. There are legal 3rd party boxes to watch a sky subscription channel with a valid sky card.
You are contridicting yourself here channels on Sky are either FTA or subscription channels. So it seems you agree that FTA channels are legally viewable on Sky via 3rd party equipment, so why would the same be illegal on the NTL network???? {confused}

I agree but jhegerty broght it up

Then why keeping repeating stuff?

Exactly what I am trying to say all along. FTA content can be viewed using any equipment. Legally the same applies to the NTL network

No because the NTL network. The physical cable, is NOT FTA. Can you get it without ANY NTL equipment. No you need their cable, their network. Therefore its not FTA.

I asked where in the act, not the T&Cs. The act is Law T&Cs do not make something illegal

Semantics. End of the day you're not allowed to do it. |You keeping using illegal/legal incorrectly too.

You are contridicting yourself here channels on Sky are either FTA or subscription channels. So it seems you agree that FTA channels are legally viewable on Sky via 3rd party equipment, so why would the same be illegal on the NTL network???? {confused}

You are not watching them on Sky's network.
You are watching then via NTL network.

Its not illegal it breaks the T&C's.

Back