Best Tv Set Top Cable Box?

chippy

Hi gang,i am looking for any advice on the best Set Top Cable Box on the Market?Eurovox look like a good make or are all the makes pretty similiar? Any advice appreciated. Chippy

There is free to air on Cable once you pay the basic subscription.
Either that or B&Q are also breaking the law.
Are you saying it is illegal to connect a TIVO type device to the NTL network?
If it is Illegal to connect any other equipment to the Network where is it stated in the T&C?
Also how will they handle this:
From autumn 2009, a free-to-air Digital terrestrial TV (DTT) service providing access to the existing national TV channels and some new Irish TV channels will be launched in Ireland.
Prior to the launch it is expected that there will be a range of suitable DTT receivers on the market. Please ask your retailer for further information.
Hmmmmmm These are not NTL boxs. Are RTE also breaking the Law??
[broken link removed]

There is free to air on Cable once you pay the basic subscription.
Either that or B&Q are also breaking the law.
Are you saying it is illegal to connect a TIVO type device to the NTL network?
If it is Illegal to connect any other equipment to the Network where is it stated in the T&C?
Also how will they handle this:
From autumn 2009, a free-to-air Digital terrestrial TV (DTT) service providing access to the existing national TV channels and some new Irish TV channels will be launched in Ireland.
Prior to the launch it is expected that there will be a range of suitable DTT receivers on the market. Please ask your retailer for further information.
Hmmmmmm These are not NTL boxs. Are RTE also breaking the Law??
[broken link removed]

DTT are not cable boxes. They are for digital tv over the air , from an aerial.

there are various set top boxes available also. Could you please point me to where in NTLs T&Cs it states no other equipment can be connected to their network. I read them & could not see anything

Your confusing cable boxes with FTA satellite boxes.

No I am not. Both are available. The point I am trying to make is that jhegerty's statement
it's a criminal offense to use any non ntl box on their network.
Is incorrect.
If I use a Eurovox or Starview with out the EMU key turned on I am simply recieving the stations I have paid for with my basic subscription.
How is that illegal?

So taking that as the Law is it now Illegal to connect my DVR to the cable?
Why is there cable connections on DVRs?
This is a bit like the rules telecom tried to enforce years ago saying you must buy a phone off them if you wish to use their service. We all know where that ended up.

Legality and enforcement are kinda different issues though.

Thinking of going freesat for UK channels, and DTT for the Irish ones myself.

Legality and enforcement are kinda different issues though.
Also the law & a companys TOS are 2 different things,
I have had NTL rep in my house & he never said anything about my extra equipment connected to their network

How do I know if I am in possession of an illicit device?
All UPC equipment is clearly branded (UPC, chorus, ntl). If you are in procession of equipment or sourced it from anyone other than UPC you are breaking the law.

With those rules it is illegal to plug a TV into the cable to get the analogue signal, or own my mobile phone.

As far as I am concerned, if UPC/NTL want a secure system they should invest in a better encryption system and adding HD at the some time would not go a miss. I actually thought they were doing this when the DVR boxes came out a year or so ago.

Disclaimer:
Former NTL customer who dumped them for SKY, due to being told multiple lies by customer services.
If anyone from NTL is reading this: You owe me money back from then you eventually cancelled my service. I even have a statement from you to prove it!

With those rules it is illegal to plug a TV into the cable to get the analogue signal,

Exactly my point .. The OP simply asked about a good brand of Set Top Box, this could be A DVR an Anolouge reciever or numerous other types of equipment. But straight away we get the blunt response
The only legal choice is the one NTL provide. .

The information on this site is generally good except for when the morality police jump in .
Also I would like to point out that A Starview Box or similar can be used to recieve numerous radio stations broadcast over the NTL network.
Nothing illegal about receiving radio stations I hope. Last time I checked FM 104 & Q102 were subscription free.

Also the law & a companys TOS are 2 different things,
I have had NTL rep in my house & he never said anything about my extra equipment connected to their network

Did you read the link that lists the acts that involved. It is illegal , criminal law not civil.

A Set Top Box isn't a DVR. They are not one and the same. You asked specifically about a "Set Top Cable Box" aka Eurovox. Thats very specific. Its got nothing to do with DTT either. Dunno where you got that idea.

The law and terms and conditions are one thing. Lack of an enforcement is another. UPC/NTL have never made much sense the way they operate. You asked a specific question you got a specific answer.

Maybe you should get onto UPC and point out the gaps in their policies, re: connecting TV's or DVR's to the analogue signal and the radio service.

Exactly my point .. The OP simply asked about a good brand of Set Top Box, this could be A DVR an Anolouge reciever or numerous other types of equipment. But straight away we get the blunt response
The only legal choice is the one NTL provide. .

The information on this site is generally good except for when the morality police jump in .
Also I would like to point out that A Starview Box or similar can be used to recieve numerous radio stations broadcast over the NTL network.
Nothing illegal about receiving radio stations I hope. Last time I checked FM 104 & Q102 were subscription free.

Colm

If you pay NTL for the analogue signal and that's all you view, thats fine. But if you connect a "dodgy" digital box purchased over the internet or in a pub car park (e.g. starview etc) to view the digital channels (which come in on the same cable), this is a criminal offence. This is clearly detailed on the back of your NTL bill and on the UPC website. The fact that NTL are rubbish and offer a poor service has nothing to do with it, it is a criminal act plain and simple.

Did you read the link that lists the acts that involved. It is illegal , criminal law not civil.

Access to our services via any device other than what has been installed contractually by the company is illegal
Thats the wording. As NTL do not provide you with a TV to access their services how are you supposed to do it legally?
Colm

If you pay NTL for the analogue signal and that's all you view, thats fine. But if you connect a "dodgy" digital box purchased over the internet or in a pub car park (e.g. starview etc) to view the digital channels (which come in on the same cable), this is a criminal offence. This is clearly detailed on the back of your NTL bill and on the UPC website. The fact that NTL are rubbish and offer a poor service has nothing to do with it, it is a criminal act plain and simple.
I agree 100%
To reiterate yes ofcourse it is illegal to use any service to which you are not entitled. I never claimed otherwise. What I was arguing is it can not be illegal to connect any equipment just because NTL did not provide it.
Same way as you can connect an FM reciever to the cable for FM reception. But what NTL are claiming with the above statement is you can not connect a TV,A DVR or any other form of reciever to their network because it has not been installed contractually by the company... Utter nonsense.

Back