AIB AIB has sent the cheque in both names

I had the same problem on monday. My issue with that was the over the last 12 yrs all correspondence from AIB on our mortgage was sent to both myself and my wife separately..as with above along with the 1615 - cheque split equally. We even got notification re the capital write down separately. Monday we received a cross cheque in both our names..infuriating!
Have sent back cheque with instructions...to be issued in 10 days.

Morning All,
My aunt is a co signatory on my mortgage (in name only) and I just recieved the letter and instead a cheque I got a payment instruction form which I need to complete on what party gets what amount etc and now have to go to a branch (or a solicitor) for them to witness both signatories on the form which then needs to be posted back to the review address and they will reissue the cheque in my name. A bit time consuming and not sure why there is not an option to have it lodged into my account - it seems AIB are trying to make it more difficult than necessary.

I want to reiterate all the thanks other people have given to Brendan and others who worked so hard on this - it is so appreciate. The write down and the interest refund is literally life changing to me so THANK YOU!!

Post from AIB arrived today. Not a cheque, but instead a Payment Form. God only knows why we did not get a cheque, we are joint borrowers, but I imagine lots of people on here are joint borrowers and got cheques. Maybe people can confirm - if most joint borrowers are getting cheques I might get onto them.

The signatures need to be witnessed by a solicitor or AIB branch official, wouldn't you know, in case it might be too straightforward.

Attachments

• PaymentFormPage1.jpg
    PaymentFormPage1.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 399
We got correspondence to just my wife, not me, with that payment form. Joint borrowers. Hard to understand how these things work in AIB. I'd take a cheque with both our names on it!

Post from AIB arrived today. Not a cheque, but instead a Payment Form. God only knows why we did not get a cheque, we are joint borrowers, but I imagine lots of people on here are joint borrowers and got cheques. Maybe people can confirm - if most joint borrowers are getting cheques I might get onto them.

The signatures need to be witnessed by a solicitor or AIB branch official, wouldn't you know, in case it might be too straightforward.
Same here, so annoying but what else do should we expect at this stage

I’m infuriated here, I have made 5 phone calls to the helpline.
My previous address was down as my correspondence address, have not lived there for 12 years. Went to a branch to change the address, have phoned the bank 4 times to confirm the change, it has been ridiculous carry on. I rang Tuesday spoke to Finbarr he advised that my letter was en route to my home (mortgage) address but he couldn’t access figures, fair enough. Said if I didn’t receive the letter by Thursday to call them back. Phoned just now and spoke to Josephine ... my correspondence address is my previous address still... she put me on hold and after minutes of silence advised that the mailing label is the correct address but my letter has not been produced yet ... she said her link to my account was broke and she would call me back if the letter popped up on the account and if I don’t hear from her today it’s because the letter hasn’t been produced yet to call back next week ... the saga continues

I’ve had a similar thing. Have been waiting since Tuesday for a call back from supervisor. (As they guy I spoke with Could not have been worse. He tried to bluff his way through the conversation).

Rang again this morning. Was told they will get back ‘shortly’. Letters to be issued ‘in a few weeks’
(Nothing to do with the 300 cohort either)

When I spoke with AIB last month they said that they would be issuing 2 cheques, one in my wife's name and one in mine. Instead, as many others have said, we received one cheque in both our names.

We have a joint account so should be able to lodge it there but the old mortgage had my wife's maiden name whereas our joint account has her married name. It's just another inconvenience to add to the list and is at odds with info previously given.

I'm not sure they're doing this deliberately but they're certainly doing themselves no favours for people who want to believe they're being obtuse in their handling of the whole affair.

If your wife brings her marriage cert to bank ye will be able to lodge it . It’s so annoying though I had contacted AIB in July and told I’d be getting the form not a cheque yet got cheque in both names and have returned it with a letter but I’m half expecting there to be another twist in the tale !!!

I'd assume these cheques are crossed acc payee, your cheque shouldn't have been accepted for lodgement to a sole account and could well end up coming back to you.
Arrived back in the post this am :(

Anyone have any idea what this means? "Please return the form in the Freepost envelope enlcosed with your letter"
Only sense I can make of it is that they are asking us to return the letter that they sent to us, which is unusual! That's what I did anyhow

Anyone have any idea what this means? "Please return the form in the Freepost envelope enlcosed with your letter"
Only sense I can make of it is that they are asking us to return the letter that they sent to us, which is unusual! That's what I did anyhow
I got this today and returned the payment instruction form signed by the mortgage holders and witnessed by bank offical - the bank official took it and put it in the internal post

I got this today and returned the payment instruction form signed by the mortgage holders and witnessed by bank offical - the bank official took it and put it in the internal post

Very unclear instruction. What you did makes sense, we did the same. Though we included the letter. Also used normal post, decided against AIB internal post.

Same here... no cheque but a Payment Instruction Form instead. And their interest amount is even lower than the simple interest figure I got on the calculator.
Already €2,7k lower comparing compound vs simple. Now an extra €614 comparing simple figures vs what's in the letter = €3,3k short!!!!! :mad:

I was under the impression that you'd have to book an appointment with an AIB offical to get the signatures witnessed. By the posts above, maybe not?

Any advice on what else, other than requesting the breakdown of their calculations, I should request from those muppets?

When I spoke with AIB last month they said that they would be issuing 2 cheques, one in my wife's name and one in mine. Instead, as many others have said, we received one cheque in both our names.

We have a joint account so should be able to lodge it there but the old mortgage had my wife's maiden name whereas our joint account has her married name. It's just another inconvenience to add to the list and is at odds with info previously given.

I'm not sure they're doing this deliberately but they're certainly doing themselves no favours for people who want to believe they're being obtuse in their handling of the whole affair.

I was told exact same, then cheque in joint names arrived. We had to send back with instructions to split equally as we don't have a joint account anymore.

Brendan, we lodged the cheque to our joint account but apparently that weakens the strength of the legal case we are planning to take against them? The line in the letter that says it will not affect your ability to make a claim is true but it is misleading as according to our barrister we shouldn't have done that. Can we do a reverse deposit? What is the best thing to do with the cheque/money while awaiting court proceedings to issue?

How would it weaken your case?
Barristers are very cautious. There’s a possibility that if you take the payment, AIB may argue later that you’ve taken it on terms suggestive that you were happy with the settlement amount. Plus with AIB’s modus operandi as observed in these threads, nothing would surprise me with AIB.

Also, if the cheque that was cashed was substantial, practically speaking, it may result in you having to bring your claim in a court of lower monetary jurisdiction (ie the District or Circuit Court) as AIB will argue that they have paid, and the customer has accepted, the bulk of any compensation due.

Back