AIB AIB has sent the cheque in both names

LimerickAIB

FYI - One final kick in the........

Hi all. Just a quick one on this. We received our cheque this morning. Great excitement. Until my wife tried to lodge it. AIB sent a cheque with our two names on it, however we do not have a joint account. The bank teller wouldn't accept same. (The 1615 originally sent years ago was in two cheques)
So I rang 01 7715912 and spoke to a fella there.
If we want our money, we have to send back today's cheque (yes) and tell them (AIB) in writing, how we want the money to be paid.

This, for me, is the last last last straw with this bank. I mean, they have our records, they know we don't have a joint account, yet they operate this way.

Just thought I would flag this in case it happens to anyone else (assuming not everyone is still together with their original partner(s), or house buyers etc) and to save you the rage of being told by a teller in AIB that they cannot accept a cheque from AIB, to be lodged into an AIB account.

assuming not everyone is still together with their original partner(s), or house buyers etc)

But that is the point!

What can AIB do? Send it to the first named on the account? If they have split up, then the second name would go after AIB.

They could have written to all joint account holders and asked for instructions.

But as most have a joint account, it's easier and quicker to send a cheque in both names.

Brendan

But that is the point!

What can AIB do? Send it to the first named on the account? If they have split up, then the second name would go after AIB.

They could have written to all joint account holders and asked for instructions.

But as most have a joint account, it's easier and quicker to send a cheque in both names.

Brendan
A split cheque to both - Surely.
Whether a couple are together, split, whatever, they all get their money then. Simple.

Now, people, together, split whatever, have to go away and make arrangements to either set up new accounts or send the cheques back.

All the information here (and power) is with AIB, they are responsible for paying it out.

Saying "it's easier and quicker to send a cheque in both names" is 100% right, but this is not about being easy for AIB, not one bit.

Its about customer care and service. Missing here. Now potentially waiting weeks for them to receive a split cheque, even if they get the one you send back..........

FYI - One final kick in the........

Hi all. Just a quick one on this. We received our cheque this morning. Great excitement. Until my wife tried to lodge it. AIB sent a cheque with our two names on it, however we do not have a joint account. The bank teller wouldn't accept same. (The 1615 originally sent years ago was in two cheques)
So I rang 01 7715912 and spoke to a fella there.
If we want our money, we have to send back today's cheque (yes) and tell them (AIB) in writing, how we want the money to be paid.

This, for me, is the last last last straw with this bank. I mean, they have our records, they know we don't have a joint account, yet they operate this way.

Just thought I would flag this in case it happens to anyone else (assuming not everyone is still together with their original partner(s), or house buyers etc) and to save you the rage of being told by a teller in AIB that they cannot accept a cheque from AIB, to be lodged into an AIB account.
Open up a new joint account . Lodge the cheque. When it clears withdraw the funds and close the account. Should be quicker then writing to them and explaining new instructions etc

Open up a new joint account . Lodge the cheque. When it clears withdraw the funds and close the account. Should be quicker then writing to them and explaining new instructions etc
Cheers. Have been on to three local branches here. Earliest appointment is currently two weeks away. Still ringing around.

What a mess........

But that is the point!

Brendan
Our original money of €1610 came out as 2 separate cheques, one half each. Why couldn’t they do the same with these cheques? Seems weird.
we have a joint account with AIB so seemed a bit silly that they sent the original out as 2 separate cheques. And now they’re sending joint cheques to others.

Well, the original cheques of €1615 were issued in two separate cheques. I imagined they’d have done the same with this but unfortunately not. It’s a bloody pain. No point in assuming people who have a mortgage have a joint account. Especially when the accounts held are held at that bank and they know there is no joint account.

Another example of AIB putting the customer first. Luckily we have a joint account but it was a no brainer issuing separate cheques.

We don't have a joint account and my wife just signed the back and I lodged it in my KBC current account no issues or questions asked!

We don't have a joint account and my wife just signed the back and I lodged it in my KBC current account no issues or questions asked!
I'd assume these cheques are crossed acc payee, your cheque shouldn't have been accepted for lodgement to a sole account and could well end up coming back to you.

As far as the other posts moaning about cheques being in both names - how would you like it if your spouse only paid 10% of the mortgage for years, you separated and then your spouse got half of the refund via a cheque made out to them only? Theres too many ifs ,buts and maybes in people's lives for a bank to take a gamble on this.
If a mortgage is in joint names, the cheque has to be issued in joint names... end of.
Just go open a joint deposit account and lodge the cheque, it doesnt cost anything to have a deposit account.

So they were wrong in sending out the original €1610 split into 2 cheques? I’m just being annoying now, but, seriously, there’s no consistency in the way they are dealing with this and it’s very frustrating!!

I'd assume these cheques are crossed acc payee, your cheque shouldn't have been accepted for lodgement to a sole account and could well end up coming back to you.

As far as the other posts moaning about cheques being in both names - how would you like it if your spouse only paid 10% of the mortgage for years, you separated and then your spouse got half of the refund via a cheque made out to them only? Theres too many ifs ,buts and maybes in people's lives for a bank to take a gamble on this.
If a mortgage is in joint names, the cheque has to be issued in joint names... end of.
Just go open a joint deposit account and lodge the cheque, it doesnt cost anything to have a deposit account.

A joint cheque doesn't cover every situation any more than individual cheques do.

Do we need to send the cheque back to FSPO Mortgage Review Team, 10 Molesworth Street? by register post?

Yes they are but I lodged the original split cheques into the same account with a signature on the back, maybe KBC works differently?

**edit Just thinking it was actually a PTSB current account back then! So maybe not enforced strictly if you're known/have a track record with the bank?

Back